Anyone Winterizing their homes?

HotCarl

So being only my second month in the first apartment I've had solely to myself I was thinking about doing a bit of winterizing? Maybe some plastic around window's, starting up the fireplace more often rather than using gas heat and installing a programable thermostat. Anyone else have any ideas i could use to keep bills down?

After living with roomates my whole life and getting my bills that were regularly over 100+$ for each utility I received my first AEP bill of $26.20 and a gas bill for just $40.00, im a cheap bastard so I was giddy as a school child when i saw that. Just goes to show how much money was wasted on bills that were outrageously expensive. (mind you the apartment size's were nearly identical)

Home owner here: I would kill to have a $26 or 40 utility bill :eek:

When we had an apartment, plastic on the windows really helped.

Fireplace wise, don't waste you're money. They are the least efficient method of heating a room/home. Better off sealing it up.

Plastic on the windows will help greatly, esp if they are older windows. A programable thermostat will also help. It saved me quite a lot last year in my house. As for the fireplace, don't bother. Most apartment fireplaces are just for decoration, not for heating up a room.

Home owner here: I would kill to have a $26 or 40 utility bill :eek:

When we had an apartment, plastic on the windows really helped.

Fireplace wise, don't waste you're money. They are the least efficient method of heating a room/home. Better off sealing it up.

Sad but true. I plan on using mine a few times this year though just for the ambiance. :D

i haven't found the best way yet....but one thing to know...DON'T BUY THE KITS! waste of money....the plastic is like saran wrap and the double sided tape they give you doesn't stick for shit

i think this year we are using silicone to seal the windows shut and then using the plastic drop cloth and siliconing it to the walls (we don't care what happens to the paint....we live in a crappy apartment :))

i haven't found the best way yet....but one thing to know...DON'T BUY THE KITS! waste of money....the plastic is like saran wrap and the double sided tape they give you doesn't stick for shit

this information is totally worng. i forget what the brand was (i think i still have a box at home) but i used it last winter and its still on the windows now! I bought it from lowes. works great. and it did make a difference in the room.

I have been doing cheap fixes over time. I replaced the seals to both my garage doors. Cost me a total of 13 bucks. I bought the kits to seal off air flows behind all my light sockets. I keep the air flow directors over the vents to get all the air away from the windows. I also keep very thick curtains over all my windows.

This week I will be replacing a couple of my door seals for exterior doors.

this information is totally worng. i forget what the brand was (i think i still have a box at home) but i used it last winter and its still on the windows now! I bought it from lowes. works great. and it did make a difference in the room.

+1, i bought the kits at lowes every year, like 2 windows was $10 for the kit, just use the double sided tape that comes with it, cut the plastic to fit, and once its stuck on heat it up with a blow dryer to make it nice and tight. This worked great for 3+ years at my apartments that had like 30yr old windows. There would be large drafts without them, none with them put on. Usually took like a half hour, then I would take it off in the spring.

So far I have sealed my back door, with weatherstripping, used spray foam under threshold, added insulation to the spaces under my bumped out family room, replaced batteries in the smoke detectors, plasticed off my crawl space, and changed my furnace filter. I still hope to use pipe insulation around my hot water pipes in the basement. I will also probably plastic off the besement windows.

I wouldn't install anything in an apartment, but if I was looking to keep utilities down in an apartment, I would look for a center unit

As for installing anything, programmable thermostat's arent terribly expensive and seem fairly easy to install. If/when I move out I could take it out and put in the old one. I was just curious if the saving of having the temp down for half the day out weighs the cost of running the furnace to bring the apt back up to liveable temperature.

As for anything else, my options are somewhat limited because its only an apartment but I do have two huge sliding class doors so I'll probably shop around for some weather stripping and plastic and maybe some thick curtain's.

+1, i bought the kits at lowes every year, like 2 windows was $10 for the kit, just use the double sided tape that comes with it, cut the plastic to fit, and once its stuck on heat it up with a blow dryer to make it nice and tight. This worked great for 3+ years at my apartments that had like 30yr old windows. There would be large drafts without them, none with them put on. Usually took like a half hour, then I would take it off in the spring.

x3 used the kits from lowes/homedepot two packs was more then enough and was liek 10 bucks i also bought a kit to seal off out large sliding glass door that let threw alot of heat for another 6 bucks

there still on the windows fromn last there. an kept the basement temps up a good 10-15 degrees all winter vs not having them defentalyl worth the 20 bucks or less u will spend easy to do clean an cheap

:edit: its not mirrical cure some air does get let threw but you will notice how much it really works

Im about to go out and get some plastic as well. My gas bill was 26 bucks too, but Ive had the heat on a bit more this month, and whever the GF is here she is always always cold (even at like 72) so i can tell if i dont do all i can Ill be paying out the ass for gas!

Also anyone ever heat a detached 1-car garage electrically? Its basically a carport that is sealed up w/ a garage door, and technically it is not wired to my building (i assume on the common circuit)...so thats good. Im thinking some sort of space heater...but I dunno.

i pay the mortgage and the g/f the utilities, but ill probably end up doing the plastic on my windows...1st winter in this house.

when we got the first mild cold snap a few weeks ago i went into the bathroom and the tile floor was ice cold, and i just figured it was the house since it sort of backs up to the garage...well, something finally popped into my brain and i opened the closet door in the bathroom and realized i had left both attic passways open, and cold air was just flowing in.

closed those back up and its been fine since. i felt like an idiot for a minute.

The past 2 years I lived in Boston in an old as hell 4br apt with HUGE windows. In the winter our heating bill was $800 a month.

Anyways, yea plastic on windows helps if they're older and fireplaces feel and look nice but they're very costly. If you live in a house and want to consider a winter heating alternative, look into pellet stoves. They're very costly up front but they're extremely efficient and effective.

I've got a architect friend in Vermont who is now being paid $270 every 6 months from the government because his solar panel/pellet furnace setup is producing 300% extra energy on top of what his home uses.

I have NO insulation on the upper part of the house. That fucking sucks. My gas and electric bills are crazy for the size of the house.

Next spring I'm paying someone to blow insulation in the upper part of the house.

Blower rental is free with purchase of insulation at home depot. Do it yourself.

Insulated curtains at target

i keep a couple rolled towels at the base of doors

close vents in areas you arent in often( like the bathroom)

buy a quilt for your bed (100%cotton still breathable but warm)

If you are concerned about costs make sure you are turning down the heat at night. ( our heat is turned down to 67 at night, 69 during day)

fireplaces are very inefficient the way to heat. Houses/apts are just not built to retain that heAt any more

Next spring I'm paying someone to blow insulation in the upper part of the house.

Yeah do it yourself. It is dead simple just takes a time and like the other person said, the blower rental is free with the purchase of the 10 or more bags of insulation (you will probably need more than 10). Just have someone outside feeding the insulation into the machine, while you are in the attic pointing the end of the tube where you need the insulation and repeat