Indian cuisine in Columbus

Doc1647545523

I have some unexpected out-of-towners to entertain, and they've asked about trying a local Indian restaurant for lunch. Although I've enjoyed Indian dishes that friends have prepared, I don't know anything about the local Indian restaurant scene.

Any recommendations for good lunchtime Indian food? It could even be buffet style .... I don't think they're looking for fancy ..... just good.

I pulled-up a listing of Columbus area Indian restaurants, and frankly, I've never heard of any of them.

Thanks!

There is a place up on Polaris right near the Chase building that I went to last year with an indian friend, i had never heard of it and doubt I'd have tried it otherwise, but it was actually very good. I'm trying to remember exactly where it is, but all I can picture is its on the South side of Polaris parkway, on the SE corner of some road and and polaris. Its set back a bit from the road in a little strip, but faces north on polaris.

Good luck.

Thanks. So far it looks like Cuisine of India at Sancus and Polaris or Banana Leaf on Bethel are the most promising. One guest is a vegetarian, so I'll try to give everyone the heads-up on this thread later today after we've tried one of the places.

Perhaps post to the MSpaint thread, depending on how things "come out" later.

There is a place up on Polaris right near the Chase building that I went to last year with an indian friend, i had never heard of it and doubt I'd have tried it otherwise, but it was actually very good. I'm trying to remember exactly where it is, but all I can picture is its on the South side of Polaris parkway, on the SE corner of some road and and polaris. Its set back a bit from the road in a little strip, but faces north on polaris.

Good luck.

This place. Its right by the hooters/cheeseburger in paradise area, closest to average joes.

They are authentic Indian, and very good. My parents know the owners because they have been looking a good indian food place for a long time until they found that place. They also somehow get cricket games on tv, which any Indian (and us south africans) person will appreciate.

The Taj Mahal on campus used to be a good spot. I think some Messican joint took over, but there is also another spot right next to McFlips off Polaris that always seems busy.

they just moved a couple doors down. Taj mahal is awesome. Easily the best indian food I've had in Columbus out of the 4 that I've been to. Call ahead though I'm not entirely sure they're open for lunch.

The place in the North market isn't bad for a quick lunch if thats what you're looking for.

Indian Kitchen on High Street is the best Indian I've had in this city, hands down. I've eaten at at prolly 8 other places here and the Kitchen owns them. Second would have to be New India on Bethel. Haven't done Banana Leaf.

Well, we went to Banana Leaf on Bethel and it was super!

Although they had the full menu at lunch, we all opted for the buffet, which was somewhat unusual; it's somewhat like a prix fixe menu, in that you don't actually go up to a big buffet. Instead, you are served courses at your table and in each course, you have some options. Some appetizers are cold, others are hot. There is a main course which then works like a buffet where you walk up to a steam table and dollop food onto your platter. The foods were flavorful, but not extremely hot/spicy. One person with us ordered Indian hot sauce to add to a few dishes.

The food trays are labeled, and there is a guidesheet explaining how the whole buffet works and which has the name and description of each item served.

It all may sound formal, but the place is just a little strip mall storefront. It does, however, have linen tablecloths and linen napkins. The staff are all Indian and were friendly and helpful.

The place is 100% vegetarian, and I'd have to say it was the best vegetarian meal I've ever had. A number of the customers were Indian, and I think that is a bit of recommendation itself.

We all thought the place was great and we'll return. Lunch buffet was around $9 a person, and included drinks and dessert. Sandwiches are about $4 as are the appetizers. Curry meals are between $7-$10. It was medium busy, but each food item came out almost immediately. The restaurant is on the north side of Bethel road at the same traffic light as Micro Center.

816 Bethel Road, Columbus

http://www.bananaleafofcolumbus.com

There are two other very good restaurants in that strip mall. Can't remember their names but the Vietnamese/Thai place and the Korean place are both very good.

One of the best deserts I've ever had was at the Vietnamese/Thai place. It was a bed of sticky rice with coconut milk on top with some really good cantaloupe (from Vietnam iirc). It was a special for that day so don't expect it to be there. Their main courses were kind of small, but still really good, with the caveat that I eat a lot so they are probably enough for a 'regular' person.

The Korean place had a lot of crazy seafood in a lot of their platters, which I don't mind but it was kind of hard for the g/f to find something she could stomach, but she really liked what she had. They serve you 9 or 12 little platters of random stuff before your meal, which was really fun.

Lots of really good places to eat around here. I've been hesitant to try Banana Leaf for fear of the vegetarian aspect, but I might have to try it now.

They opened up a Indian Buffet/dinner spot over in Heath. First time I had hate there was about week and half ago. Food was excellent. The only problem I think the place might have is I am not sure alot of people know about it and dont think it will survive. I have net seen more then 3 cars there at there busiest time. We went there on a Friday night and was all alone until are meal was almost finished then another couple came in.