Properly balance tires

AOW

OK. I know a lot of people know about these, but since I just found out about them I figured there may be some that don't know. There's this product called Dyna-beads that replaces the conventional method of balancing your tires. You install couple of ounces of very small ceramic beads into your tires and centripetal force push the beads to where they need to go to keep your tires balanced at all times. You have to check these out.

dynabeads

Pass... Centripetal force does not work like that.. they will roll around until there is enough rotation to hold them in place against the tire wall.. and that place wont always be where the tire needs balanced.

Edited by flounder

Pass... Centripetal force does not work like that.. they will roll around until there is enough rotation to hold them in place against the tire wall.. and that place wont always be where the tire needs balanced.

Ding ding ding, we've got a weiner:badgerrock:

Also hitting a bump at a good speed would tend to move them. I think? Sort of suddenly unbalance the tire, I would suspect. But we're talking variable balancing here. So it's "wait a sec, let me change the balance" over and over...

But Flounder got it, I never thought about it that way, they would just head for the low spot is all, even when in motion. Not the point of balance unless the inside of the tire was perfectly round. Which it would never be. You'd have to have a lot of them to overcome that, I bet. Including overcoming effects they produce themselves.

That might be the equivalent of packing your tire with sand. Which has the advantage of being able to run flat.

Like it or not they do work. We used to put about 4-6 golf balls in the 38" tires, ballanced them right out. Still didn't ride like a caddy, but worlds beyond what it rode like before.

Do they work? Yes. However it's not what I would use in my 170+ mph runs, in my jeep that hardly ever sees 70mph, yes.

Also don't buy those, go to Walmart and buy yourself a box of copperhead BBs, lots cheaper and the same damn thing. Throw a handfull in each tire and inflate. Works good untill about 35" then something more substancial like golfballs are needed.

Still wouldn't do it on a motorcycle.

Edited by Dweezel

It's an old concept from the cagers. Works about as well as anal beads

Never tried anal beads so I'm still not sure if you say they are good or not.

I wouldn't put them in a track bike, but I think their science is sound. Even when you balance your tires the conventional way they aren't balanced for all that long. The weights go opposite of the heavy spot, and since the heavy spot will always hit the road the hardest, it won't stay the heavy spot. At least w/having hundreds of these ceramic beads, they adjust as your tire wears and shifts balance points. Think it's worth checking out.

Like it or not they do work. We used to put about 4-6 golf balls in the 38" tires, ballanced them right out. Still didn't ride like a caddy, but worlds beyond what it rode like before...

That's really cool. I've never actually heard of anyone doing it. Golf balls, that's funny.

New thought is that centripetal motion might not stick an object at the lowest point after all. The constant motion of the tire would turn the round objects that are inside and move them constantly. The end effect is balanced in motion.

but how do you figure out how many beads you need? you put the tire on a balance, might as well just grap some wheel weights and put them on while its on the balance, instead of taking the tire off and trying again, if i had a monster truck like trapper, i would toss in a golf ball or two if it came down to it....but on a bike? no thanks

They have a sizing chart to determine the amount of beads. I cheated and just added up the oz of wheel weights then rounded up to the next whole number. I ended up w/3oz in my 240 rear and 1 in my 120 front. When compared to their chart, I was correct in my assumption on the amount needed.

Any rotating object will rotate around its center of mass. If you put a large weight on one side of the tire, the center of mass for the tire will move towards that weight,and the tire will try to rotate around that new center of mass. The result is that the ride will be rough as the tire is pounding the ground because the axle moves up and down, trying to keep the center of rotation ( which is now not the same as the center of the wheel) at a constant point.

Now, if you put something inside the tire that is free to move, it will try to move to the point furthest from the center of rotation. That is because the force on the sand, golf ball, or equal is directly proportional to the radius of the rotation. This movement of the sand, or whatever will continue until the center of mass for the wheel is exactly at the center of the wheel (also known as the axle) At that point the tire is balanced until you stop and the stuff falls to the bottom of the tire. Whenever you start up, the whole balancing act resumes. If the stuff clumps, it can't move and the tire won't self balance.

Like it or not they do work. We used to put about 4-6 golf balls in the 38" tires, ballanced them right out. Still didn't ride like a caddy, but worlds beyond what it rode like before.

Do they work? Yes. However it's not what I would use in my 170+ mph runs, in my jeep that hardly ever sees 70mph, yes.

Also don't buy those, go to Walmart and buy yourself a box of copperhead BBs, lots cheaper and the same damn thing. Throw a handfull in each tire and inflate. Works good untill about 35" then something more substancial like golfballs are needed.

Still wouldn't do it on a motorcycle.

i have a buddy that works at a shop for semi's, and he finds golfballls all the time in semi tires when he has to change them.. there must be some truth to the science of it.. but noway would i put anything in my bike tires..

i hear ya on that one... my weights usually fall/come off anyways lol...i never really noticed much difference when they do lol..

Yea, I can't tell, I thought I could too ??

If your wheel is balanced I think your good to go, more so than the tire, but what do I know ?