What's the Best IT/Technical Training to take?

TTQ B4U

I've been in sales for over 15 years. A mix of hardware and software, both as a direct contributor and manager of direct reports. I have a strong background in software solution sales, primarily document management, but am not tied to that industry.

What I am looking to do now is broaden my training and skill set. I see a lot of IT technical solutions (non-sales people) who are very good but have poor client-facing skills. I on the other hand can lead the client side but want to beef up on technical training to carry more than just being a good sales guy.

What classes or certifications are worth considering? I work with a lot of Microsoft based products/solutions. I have several certifications specific to my market already.

Insight appreciated.

IT is a very largely overused term. You need to be specific about what you want to learn about. Programming (this has about 50 different arenas), Network Infrastructure (a dozen or so possibilites), Client/Desktop support, it just goes on and on. You need to specify what you want to learn about.

A+ Certification is a good start.

That if you are looking to know more about hardware and how a computer works. But like Akula said, you need to narrow it down a bit.

-"Well then I just have to ask why can't the customers take them directly to the software people? "

-"Well, I'll tell you why... because... engineers are not good at dealing with customers..."

IT is a very largely overused term. You need to be specific about what you want to learn about. Programming (this has about 50 different arenas), Network Infrastructure (a dozen or so possibilites), Client/Desktop support, it just goes on and on. You need to specify what you want to learn about.

Would like to learn more about network and infrastructure. I'm not familiar with the various facets of that so those dozen or so possibliites...rattle some off. I'm trying to branch off of what I know and do today, which is integrating software programs together. Networking and hardware side of that...not my strong point.

So, to narrow it down a bit.

WAN Routing (moving data from network to network as in branch to core etc...)

LAN Switching (moving data around the local network)

Wireless LAN (same as above only no wires)

Content Networking (positioning/ pre-positioning data near the client)

Load distribution (load balancers, content switches)

Network security (firewalls, proxies, Access control)

there are more, head doesn't want to work right now.

So, a good start is the cisco networking academy at columbus state.

Also, the last time I looked all of the compTIA certs were not taken seriously. they are more to prove you can work level 1 helpdesk.

Honestly; this is a practice compTIA network+ question:

If you were to connect your computer to an analog data service provided by a local telephone company, which of these devices would you use?

A. Fax machine

B. V.90 modem

C. ISDN adapter

D. LAN adapter

A+ and N+ are those types of certs that don't expire. Take some of the harder ones like CCNA and MCSE. You have to know a lot more information and there are more tests. One thing to remember though is those types of certs expire after 3 years. Either you take the test over again or you take the next harder one.

A+ and N+ are those types of certs that don't expire. Take some of the harder ones like CCNA and MCSE. You have to know a lot more information and there are more tests. One thing to remember though is those types of certs expire after 3 years. Either you take the test over again or you take the next harder one.

I think he's looking for knowledge, not certification. That's why I suggested the networking academy, they go way deeper.

Would like to learn more about network and infrastructure. I'm not familiar with the various facets of that so those dozen or so possibliites...rattle some off. I'm trying to branch off of what I know and do today, which is integrating software programs together. Networking and hardware side of that...not my strong point.

N+ (Network+) would be best for this. This is a pretty easy cert to get and pretty informative.

Also, the last time I looked all of the compTIA certs were not taken seriously. they are more to prove you can work level 1 helpdesk.

Honestly; this is a practice compTIA network+ question:

Not many certs are taken seriously anymore. Back in the day just having your A+ was a big deal. I have 5 certs, 2 of them are Comptia, (A+ and N+). I have 10 years experience in the field and my certs have not helped me at all.

Not sure what all is good in your industry. If I had to guess though N+ would be a great foundation for the technical side.

I guess it would depend on how much technical hands on your having to do, ie installs, and other document management configuring.

I think he's looking for knowledge, not certification. That's why I suggested the networking academy, they go way deeper.

What he said.

Not many certs are taken seriously anymore. Back in the day just having your A+ was a big deal. I have 5 certs, 2 of them are Comptia, (A+ and N+). I have 10 years experience in the field and my certs have not helped me at all.

This too.

So, to narrow it down a bit.

WAN Routing (moving data from network to network as in branch to core etc...)

LAN Switching (moving data around the local network)

Wireless LAN (same as above only no wires)

Content Networking (positioning/ pre-positioning data near the client)

Load distribution (load balancers, content switches)

Network security (firewalls, proxies, Access control)

there are more, head doesn't want to work right now.

So, a good start is the cisco networking academy at columbus state.

agrees

Like someone else said, last time I checked, A+ and N+ were laughed at...

Perhaps in computer/server IT work, but in his and my fields of copiers, printers, and document management they are both sought after certs, 95% of the guys don't have either, and our manufactures have them as prereqs for lots of their advanced factory training courses.