Question for you guys.

3.1cutlass

So today we had health and safety inspections of our rooms. They say that me having my road bike stuffed under my bed is a safety violation. I refuse to leave an $800 bike sit outside in the weather with some lock that could be easily cut. What really gets me is one of the other dorm halls on campus is allowed to have them in their rooms. I have already emailed the person in charge to get a time to meet with him about this issue. What approach should i take to getting this resolved?

how often do they come check? if its not often, dont they tell you when they're coming, thus giving you enough time to go put it outside?

what about hanging it on a wall? i just dont see how it being under your bed is a safety violation...what are you going to do? trip on it while you're leaving the building for a fire??

how often do they come check? if its not often, dont they tell you when they're coming, thus giving you enough time to go put it outside?

what about hanging it on a wall? i just dont see how it being under your bed is a safety violation...what are you going to do? trip on it while you're leaving the building for a fire??

Once per quarter and had i known it was and issue i would have taken it out because they do tell us when they are checking. As far as on the wall i have no idea. I will be asking that when i talk to this guy in charge.

Screw em. tell them to show it to you in writing. how can a bike under a bed be an issue?? maybe if it was blocking doors or windows or something. Is it cool to put it in another part of the room? lol

Now if they have key-card access bike rooms like some places do, i guess they may want em in there, but there is no way they should get all that upset its in your room... its probably the only way you can protect it, cause theres no way they can guarantee it not getting kicked in half on a bike rack.

How often do they come and inspect? Just take it out during inspections.

This, it's the same thing I did with my cat when I had an apartment and maintains would come. One time they called and said they need to replace something in the furnace that was an issues & they'd be over in 5 minutes. I put the cat in the trunk of my car for an hour.

• Upvote 1

After speaking with the state fire marshal he has informed me of there being no state fire code about having a bicycling in any college dorm. Now I need to contact the local fire chief to see if they have any regulations against it.

It's probably just a silly school policy. Hell, we weren't allowed to have extension cords in our dorm rooms. We were allowed to have power strips though, so I put a 50' cord on one. :)

After speaking with the state fire marshal he has informed me of there being no state fire code about having a bicycling in any college dorm. Now I need to contact the local fire chief to see if they have any regulations against it.

this is at OSU right? if its a public school you'll probably be ok since they abide by public oversight laws. if its a private school you're fucked because they can make up whatever rules they want.