For those of you against the Monica Durban Law

Cordell

Since I hate the way this law is written, and I would like to stand up against it, I would like to hear your reasons for being against it. Please list the types of this you would tell a senator or represenative to argue against it. I have losts of time on my hands and will find ways to get my voice heard so suggestions on that would also be helpfull.

Simple, define street racing in a manner that cannot be twisted by anyone with an agenda. Loosely written laws only hurt the law abiding citizens. At what point do we quit letting the wrongdoings of a few impede on the freedoms of the majority?

Simple, define street racing in a manner that cannot be twisted by anyone with an agenda. Loosely written laws only hurt the law abiding citizens. At what point do we quit letting the wrongdoings of a few impede on the freedoms of the majority?

Excellent, exactly what I need, ammunition.

Guest tbutera2112
Punishment should always be left up to the discretion of the judge, things should be recommended but not required, like automatic impounding.

automatic impounding is necessary though for an arrest, which street racing would become

**edit nvm....just remembered i guess it is up to the police....someone i know got a DUI and they let us come with AAA to get the car so it wouldnt have to go to impound....AAA was 45mins late though, and the police got tired of waiting and impounded it anyways (was smashed...wouldnt drive anywhere on its own)

go on craigslist in the Rant and Rave section, and post a link to your poll

HOWEVER, please state the reasoning why this House Bill is BS, and why it is infringing on the rights of mom and pop, and the average John Doe citizen. Otherwise, it will just look like a small street racer uprising and will bring about people who will sabotage the poll. Make sure you label it as House Bill 191, not "Monica Durban Law" because then it makes the bill more personified.

Which reasons do you want? Historical policy concerns? Jail overcrowding? Economic factors affecting both the state and businesses? Lack of judicial oversight? Overly broad definitions? Disproportionate penalties? Officer's discretion?

There's only one thing up there that anyone will give a shit about, and that's overly broad definitions. And even then, good luck. You need to convince people that they could get fucked by this new law, and people who fart around in Camrys are not going to get fucked by this new law under any circumstances, so it's nearly hopeless.

There's only one thing up there that anyone will give a shit about, and that's overly broad definitions. And even then, good luck. You need to convince people that they could get fucked by this new law, and people who fart around in Camrys are not going to get fucked by this new law under any circumstances, so it's nearly hopeless.

Thanks for the post. Now take your McDonald's car and GTFO.

Street racers are being labeled as worse than drunk drivers.

Street racing gets more media because its "organized crime".

The only thing this law is going to do is cause people to run from the cops more often because of the fear of loosing the car, license and jail time.

Quit trying to re-write the definition on a manner that gives way to much discretion to the officers. It needs to be clear and two the point, there should not be any questions or controversy over the definition.

Also, I don't think there is anything wrong with impounding cars, I am against street racing as it is and the best punishment is taking away what means most to the participants. I am sure all you young/old parents understand that that's what makes kids learn is by taking away something they like when you "ground" them. Why is the big kids law any different? If your going to be an idiot, then you take away what makes them an idiot.

I'm sure that if you take off at a light and the car next to you had seniors going to bingo on Sunday morning they would not impound your car...

Im all for impounding, even crushing the cars. What needs looked at is how this is going to be used by disgruntled officers against innocent people that happen to catch someone's eye. Am I going to loose my car because it looks like it might be fast? Even if its slower than molasses?

The "Oh well why don't we just leave everything up to interpretation" bullshit needs to change.

Thank you for quoting his post. Now take your its zinc not yellow behind and GTFO... But seriously, no need to start a new thread. Just add on the one thats open.

That thread is full of arguing and bullshit, I'd like this one to stay in regards to fighting the bill.

Guest Removed

I think they fail to realize, the street racing was only a small part of the issue that night George died!

now lets say we hasnt street racing...when he was just a drunk driver ...i hate to say it, but amiright? i mean really. think about it. why come down on what could loosely define street racing. and also not make the laws tougher for drunk driving?

Thank you for quoting his post. Now take your its zinc not yellow behind and GTFO... But seriously, no need to start a new thread. Just add on the one thats open.

You're welcome. I however will not be leaving, I think you will.

You're welcome. I however will not be leaving, I think you will.

I has thread ban button :p

The truth of the matter is drunk drivers do this kind of thing weekly. There are a lot of people out there pushing for harder penalties for DUI's, but they get ignored. Its looks like publicity stunt for the politician using another persons misfortune as fuel for the fire. Dont get me wrong it does need to be adressed... however it needs to be written by a nuetral party that will consider the rights of normal people along with the idiots breaking laws.

I has thread ban button :p

The truth of the matter is drunk drivers do this kind of thing weekly. There are a lot of people out there pushing for harder penalties for DUI's, but they get ignored. Its looks like publicity stunt for the politician using another persons misfortune as fuel for the fire. Dont get me wrong it does need to be adressed... however it needs to be written by a nuetral party that will consider the rights of normal people along with the idiots breaking laws.

I has annoying late night text button :p

the bill will promote prejudice on the part of police. everyone, and i mean EVERYONE takes off fast from a stoplight from time to time--whether they're trying to get over to merge, late for work, etc.

this law gives police the opportunity to turn the blind eye to the soccer mom in the minivan who's late for practice, yet confiscate a car from a teenager, or someone with a sports car.

two cars street racing is a fairly objective measure---its obvious when two cars are WOT next to one another and speeding

a car taking off too fast from a stoplight is too subjective--what's the definition of taking off too fast from a stoplight?? it leaves everything up to the officer's discretion

I got a response from my senator's office today. I provided a link to the petition I started, and explained the general opinion of the new bill. The more I read about politics is that a petition isn't going to do much in this type of scenario, but I figured a link would show him that I am not alone. I hope everybody has or will write their senator. Below is the response I got.

December 9, 2009

Dear Mr. Cordell,

Thank you for your correspondence regarding House Bill 191. I appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns with me.

This bill was recently voted out of the House of Representatives. You raise some significant concerns that I want to investigate before voting on the legislation in the Senate.

Again thank you for your correspondence. If I can be of further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Tim Schaffer

State Senator

31st District

Not the greatest but it's something.