Best field to major in todays economy?

Guest JCroz91

I would go Business mgmt or something along those lines. I work in the IT field and have for over 10 years, and have 4 certifications. There was a day when you could drop off 5 resumes and get an offer on 2 of them. That has changed big time in the last 5 years. Evyone and their mother decide to go the IT route and the market has been flooded ever since. Columbus has a big IT market but it is not easy finding a job unless you know someone. I love IT but if I had to do it over then I would have gone the business route. Its hard for someone like me to justify what I make when a fresh college grad will do my job for half of what I make.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't just do something for the money. If I could afford it, I would take a job at half my current salary doing something I truly enjoyed. I'm not talking hobbies, I tried that and ended up hating my hobby. You want to find a balance of what will allow you to live comfortably and keep you from wishing you were in a taller building you could jump out of.

My g/f got a two year degree in occupational therapy, and started at 26 dollars an hour. Once she finishes her masters, it will be 150k+ per year. I don't know of many other industries where you can start at 55k+ and have only 10k in student loans. Look into it, bro.

Dont knock it, male nurse's on average do better and earn more than female nurse's. Mostly due to the fact that most of the profession is dominated by females.

Its actually do to the fact that most places prefer male nurse managers and it's tough to find them. The other thing is that nursing is a high-drama occupation where people die head first into hospital politics and get outcast quite easily. Hence why a nurse changes jobs (location of hopsital) about 2wice a year.

Once she finishes her masters, it will be 150k+ per year..

Not a shot,

The cap for an OT is about 84K/year with about 20 years experience. A new grad might sniff 55k/year. Only way to make 150k (let alone 90k) as an OT is to be a director of a rehab department (which still in most cases caps at 120-130k) or you must own your own practice.

Also, you MUST have a masters degree to practice as an OT. MUST!

I don't know if you are feeding us bullshit.

I don't know if your Girl is feeding you bullshit.

I don't know if someone is feeding your Girl Bullshit.

But someone's talking some bullshit.

Take 5 mins and google average salaries and Minimum education requirements for an OT.

I worked in that industry in the recruiting business, let me know if you have any more questions about it.

BTW< if she has a two-year degree then she msut be an OT assistant.

Yes, she is an assistant, and no, she is not feeding me bullshit. She is really getting paid 55k. Her best friend, whos check I have also seen, is an OT who is making 110k a year, one year out of school (NOT the head of a department). I don't doubt that you know more about this industry than the two checks that I've seen, but I promise you, I've seen the two checks and done the math. And from what I hear, if you are willing to be a traveling OT, you can make even more.

As far as my 150k+ statement, I was adding in inflation (4 more years of school for the lady friend) and the fact that what I continually hear is that there is a bigger and bigger need for OT's every year.

Yes, she is an assistant,

VS.

My g/f got a two year degree in occupational therapy

^^^ Here you are misleading people, you never led on that she was an OTA originally, you are giving people false numerics and metrics.

and no, she is not feeding me bullshit.

NEver said she was, maybe someone is feeding her bullshit

She is really getting paid 55k.

as a new grad/in-school OTA? Doubt it, even if she's a traveler, is she a traveler?

Her best friend, whos check I have also seen, is an OT who is making 110k a year, one year out of school (NOT the head of a department).

Even a new grad traveler (is she a traveler?) wouldn't sniff 110k... You can tell me you've "seen her paychecks" but to me it seems like a lie that you are going to stick to because someone called you out and the only word you have against it is mine.

I don't doubt that you know more about this industry than the two checks that I've seen,

Let me see.. i would put up my 3+ years of industry knowledge in allied health and multiple searches on national salary averages over the fact that you are

As far as my 150k+ statement, I was adding in inflation (4 more years of school for the lady friend) and the fact that what I continually hear is that there is a bigger and bigger need for OT's every year.

What you continually? hear? who are you hearing it from? what side of the chalk do they work on? So that "bigger and bigger" need will take the average income from 75K to 150k?

I'm simply asking you to be realistic about this, that's all!

Google.com <--- a Simple salary search will yield your results... or you could take my word for it since i work in the healthcare industry in a realm that is focused (i must know) what people get payed...

I guarantee, GUARANTEE, there's not a travelling Ot that makes 150K a year and that there won't be one that does in 4 years.

But hey, let's make a bet, in 4 years, when she's a new grad, tell me how much she makes.

The big need right now is for PT's. But i guess it comes down to a matter of scope... In the world, if there are 100 PT's and 500 open PT spots and 10 OT's and 50 open OT spots which industry has more demand?

Dude, seriously, I have no reason to lie about this. Was I intentionally misleading people into thinking that you can get a two year degree and be an occupational therapist? No, it wasnt intentional. Did I say what I said, yeah, I did, my bad. Her degree is, in fact, in "Occupational Therapy Assistant." However, I have to tell you, you are incorrect in your assertion that I am "sticking to a lie" in order to avoid losing face. When I responded to the thread, it wasn't in an attempt to make myself look smart or to garner any respect, I was offering an idea. I wasn't terribly invested in this thread until you called me a liar. (In fact, I tried to soothe your ego by aggreeing that you more than likely know more about this than I, and that the only reason I would say these things is because I've seen the checks) I was blown away when she told me about the offers she was receiving, partly because her teachers were saying the same thing you are and we had spoken about it, and partly because it just shocks me that a two year degree can net you that kind of earning potential. To defend my further statement that my other friend whos has her masters could be earning 150k, and thus so could my girlfriend after 4 more years of school, the people that I "heard" it from are the same ones that were recruiting her. She ended up going with Premier, over in whitehall, but she was being recruited by 3 other places as well, and they all sang the same song. Perhaps they were blowing smoke, but here she is, making 55k. And my friend does indeed pull down 110k. Neither of them travels. The constant emails my g/f gets about traveling though are making that out to be an almost unbeleivably lucrative proposition for one who has transient properties.

In closing, collar that dog, friend. I'm not trying to convince you that I know more, or that you are wrong about all you've said. What I am sticking to is that the things I have said here are factual. Perhaps they are the exception that proves the rule, I know not. You and I haven't spoken much, but if you ask these others about me, you'll find that most of what I say that isn't in jest is true to my knowledge.

Oh, and to the OP...here are two guys arguing over a difference in salary range from 45-55k for a two year degree and 85-150k for 5/6 years. So, in answer to your question, it's a pretty awesome field to be involved in.

No one ever said it was a bad industry to be in. I just don't know of any (in 4 years) non-mgmt clinical positions that pay 150K a year as a new grad.

I challenge you to do some research and back it up.

Regardless, enough of this shouting match. I'd rather spend my time helping this dude out.

I would tell you to get into:

Management: Job gets easier as the years go on and the income potential is uncapped.

You lost all credibility with this first statement.

I don't know what type of management experience you have, but every successive management promotion that I have had is MUCH more difficult, and MASSIVELY more stressful than the last.

I have been in management roles for over 20 years, including Director level and Assistant GM

positions. It never gets easier. My next level is GM and COO. I don't expect it to be a picnic!

You lost all credibility with this first statement.

I don't know what type of management experience you have, but every successive management promotion that I have had is MUCH more difficult, and MASSIVELY more stressful than the last.

You are comparing stress to job duties/work load..... which are notably different

My advice to you would be to learn to compartmentalize better. Additionally & Obviously as a manager you are in charge of your employees livelyhood as well as creating a good track record for leadership (including securing your own path).. Of course it's stressful.

I have been in management roles for over 20 years, including Director level and Assistant GM

positions. It never gets easier. My next level is GM and COO. I don't expect it to be a picnic!

I was commenting on "starting out" versus as an "established" sales/beginning role. And my statement towards it getting easier as it hoes and the "uncapped" earning potential was in reference to being at the top. At a certain point the mahority of what you do is delegate... Sure, you get your ass kicked if your team/employees fail.... but thats what comes with responsibility.

No doubt management is a tough role on different operational/detail/emotional levels, But getting to a management role is a very work-intensive process.

Second-to-final-note: Michael, no one is saying that you aren't good at what you do. But your post seems to give belief that you have something to prove by pontificating about the titles you've held in the past. Buddy, we believe you and you should be proud of the accomplishments in your life. No one becomes a director, GM, or further without being a smart & successful individual.

But thanks for telling me that I am not credible! Long day at work, I needed a good laugh.

You are comparing stress to job duties/work load..... which are notably different

My advice to you would be to learn to compartmentalize better. Additionally & Obviously as a manager you are in charge of your employees livelihood as well as creating a good track record for leadership (including securing your own path).. Of course it's stressful.

Actually, your giving me advice about my job and my management style is laughable. You have no idea what I do, or how I do it. I truly am taken back.

I am comparing what you term as "easier" as you move up. It's not easier. If fact it is much more difficult. As I take over a new department or new position, my job description grows as well. I am responsible for my employees livelihood, but I am also charged with growing the business, as well as growing myself.

Five years ago I had 5 salaried managers in my department. I now have myself and my assistant. It was my doing. Sure I delegate a tremendous amount, but I am also born of the cloth that you cannot expect your employees to do what you don't show them that you are willing to do as well.

At a certain point the majority of what you do is delegate...

Actually a majority of what I do is motivate, teach, and inspect what I expect.

Second-to-final-note: Michael, no one is saying that you aren't good at what you do. But your post seems to give belief that you have something to prove by pontificating about the titles you've held in the past. Buddy, we believe you and you should be proud of the accomplishments in your life. No one becomes a director, GM, or further without being a smart & successful individual.

What you failed to understand it that I was building credibility by stating my breadth and level of experience. Something which your posts have lacked. Pontificate? Nope. Just don't agree with your statement and I told you why.

But thanks for telling me that I am not credible! Long day at work, I needed a good laugh.

I stated that you had lost credibility with your statement. I'm sure you can get that back when giving career advice, you show some sort of documentation, or even an explanation, of your expertise.

Actually, your giving me advice about my job and my management style is laughable. You have no idea what I do, or how I do it. I truly am taken back.

compartmentalizing has very little to do with your style of managing. I don't believe that there is a person on this earth that wouldn't want to be better at it.

I am comparing what you term as "easier" as you move up. It's not easier. If fact it is much more difficult. As I take over a new department or new position, my job description grows as well. I am responsible for my employees livelihood, but I am also charged with growing the business, as well as growing myself.

Thats a very good point and i agree with it totally.

Five years ago I had 5 salaried managers in my department. I now have myself and my assistant.

i believe that's "if you are goign to lead, make sure your followers are following". Not sayign it was that you were too hard t owork with, it may have been that they could not meet your standards (in any or all areas)

but I am also born of the cloth that you cannot expect your employees to do what you don't show them that you are willing to do as well.

That's called good work ethic and determination. It also shows that you care abotu peopel and the ensuing retention that comes with it.

Actually a majority of what I do is motivate, teach, and inspect what I expect.

I hate that term, not because of you, but for other reasons. So i find it to be very blue sky, generic, and general filler.

I stated that you had lost credibility with your statement. I'm sure you can get that back when giving career advice, you show some sort of documentation, or even an explanation, of your expertise.

So i can earn my credibility back when:

1. give career advice?

2. Show some sort of documentation (what do you mean by this?)

3. Explanation of expertise?what are you asking for? what i've done since i've been out of school? a resume? haha

Answer me 5 questions (though i think i have some of the answers) because there's something here that I'm identifying ...and i want to make sense of your accomplishments.

1. how many FTE's do you have?

2. What is your title exactly?

3. What type of business are you in?

4. how many employees are there at your facility/branch?

5. what is your age

I'm not going to be a dick when you answer them, i'd just like to know. By no means do you have to tell me where you work, but i'd like to know in which industry, be specific.

Guest tbutera2112

it would make my day if Orion scanned a copy of his girls paycheck (personal info excluded obv.) and posted it up here

bob...you are acting like you know every detail of every job ever in existence....

Guest tbutera2112
Drop out of school and go get a loan to help me build a krispy kreme in Hilliard... Simple, yet brilliant way to earn a living.

chipotle on the OU campus would be a gold mine...

it would make my day if Orion scanned a copy of his girls paycheck (personal info excluded obv.) and posted it up here

bob...you are acting like you know every detail of every job ever in existence....

This crossed my mind for like .3 seconds, just because I dislike being made out as a liar and don't wish others to disparage my credibility out of hand. :o Thinking again, though, I can't agree to do that. Sorry man, you'll just have to take my word for it. There are WAY too many reasons for me to not jerk around with that. And honestly, even if you find what I said hard to believe, the alternative google search (as Driftking recommended) puts the average still right up there around 50k if I recall correctly. So, it's still nothing to sneeze at.

Now, if we're talking about Driftking's credibility, then I have no interest in either working to prove or disprove his competency in that arena. He has a professional record, and if he wants to share that with the rest of us, then that is his prerogative.

Personally, I find this thread intriguing, and hope to see more useful ideas thrown out there. I have lots of young cousins, and if they ask me this question, I'd love to be able to share the info with them.

Why do people question what other people make? I know people with b.s. jobs making good money because of the companies they work for. Sometimes its not the title they hold as much as it is the person that signs the checks that determine salary.

Entrepreneurship! If i could do it all over again I would have done that.

Orion, thanks for keeping it clean, and I appreciate your PM's.

I (recently) used to place them, I work for a Headhunting firm. You have to know the in's and out's of their existence!