Best field to major in todays economy?

Guest JCroz91

Guest JCroz91
Being a freshmen in college and still looking to find a major. I decided I would get some of your guys input on what field is best to major in todays economy. Open for discussion, what do you feel is the best field for a job today? As far as pay, benefits, stress, and over all dificulty of the job?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well since you wont be graduating in another 3-4 years, and will be working for the next 40 or so years after that, you need to look and try to figure out what will be in demand then and stay in demand. "Today's Economy" isnt really what you need to look for.

I would say...IT. There are a lot of different IT jobs, I'm sure you can find a list of future "hot IT jobs" somewhere. I got a degree in CIS with a "track" in Computer Forensics because it is suppose to be one of those fields, plus it sounded interesting.

EDIT: Also what interests you? That's a big part of it too.

depends if you like sitting behind a desk all day pushing papers or numbers... those usually have great pay from the start.

I love my job but there are 100 others i could make more at even w/o my Masters and right from school's end..

if im gonna do something for the rest of my life i better damn well enjoy it...thats how i see it

Don't chase something merely because you think you can make a killing in it quickly.

A lot of people in their 30's still aren't sure what they want for "career". Hell, I'm convinced most don't even know what a Career is anymore.

Find something you enjoy, to the point where you can see yourself doing it for the next 40+ years. Once you've done this, see what practical real-life job best ties into it, as closely as humanly possible.

If you don't somewhat enjoy what you do, you'll just be another 40 year old with no hair hoping for something to end your miserable existence.

Guest JCroz91
depends if you like sitting behind a desk all day pushing papers or numbers... those usually have great pay from the start.

I love my job but there are 100 others i could make more at even w/o my Masters and right from school's end..

if im gonna do something for the rest of my life i better damn well enjoy it...thats how i see it

depends. i work in a call center now which i feel like i wouldnt mind an office job but i also like to get out and do more labor jobs as well. As long as im making a lot of money I will be fine with it essentially. A lot of people that are absolutly loaded around where i live seem to either be doctors, or entrepeneurs. I have heard IT is a good field to get into.

And from working on cars i can tell you that Im not bad at wireing things up. though i know high paying jobs will be a bit more complicated than that but still.

what about health care? people will always need health care

Guest JCroz91
When you narrow it down,go find 10 people in that profession and ask them IF they would still make that career choice if they could do it all over again.

Somebody i knew asked 10 MD,s if they wold go to med school again they ALL said NO!

Really?

The health care industry is always good. I graduated from UD last December with my industrial engineering degree and still looking for work. If you wanted to go with an engineering degree that will stay in demand and require continuous learning would be something like Bio-Med Engineering or to narrow it down a bit more Clinical Engineering ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinical_engineering )

I wish I had seen this type of engineering before I got too deep into industrial. Good luck with your decision and hope the best.

And if anyone is looking for industrial, manufacturing, process, or quality engineers let me know. (sry to hijack your thread)

im majoring in criminal justice....were never gonna run out of criminals! especially with how our economy is going!

ROFL

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9CNRJ400&show_article=1

And as for IT - everyone thought that would be the best career choice EVAR so that's what way too many people went to school for, the market's been flooded with IT people for a while, which is why I quickly went into a different direction. Look into any kind of engineering or health care, but read what Jones said again and again until you know that he's completely right. Working jobs you hate makes for a miserable existence.

Im in IT. Its not ideal, but its kinda what I got stuck in. The job market in Columbus Ohio dictated this. I would rather work in banking, investments, etc.

If I HAD to do it again, I would have picked an Engineering major. Either Mechanical Engineering or Aeronautical Engineering would be my choices. My major is in Economics, but I wont be doing anything with that unless I go for a Masters or Ph. D.

Guest JCroz91
the hottest job in america right now is nursing

there is a shortage of nurses nationwide and 40% of the nursing workforce is within 10 years of retirement

+1 to that... but a male nurse? idk

the hottest job in america right now is nursing

there is a shortage of nurses nationwide and 40% of the nursing workforce is within 10 years of retirement

The nursing field is the ultimate "pigeon-hole"... you will average about 60-65k... and cap at just shy of 80k unless you go for your CRNA or Nurse Practitioner's license.. .but with that much schooling you could just be a doctor.

I would tell you to get into:

Management: Job gets easier as the years go on and the income potential is uncapped.

Entrepreneurship: Job is fun, you work for yourself, income potential is unlimited, and eventually you can be a venture capitalist and kick back and invest in good business ideas.

Sales: Sales will always be a "eat what you kill" market and its the easiest way to be young and make a hell of a lot of money (as long as you are in a good industry). Buyer beware.... 80% of salespeople are only mediocre so watch out for their slanted view on working in sales. But, if you are a top performer your earning potential can be better sooner than later. Example: You can be a sales guy in a company for 2-3 years and make as much as executives and management given you are a top performer.

Most industries/arenas have caps in a non-management/owner situation... What i mean by this is; You can make a decent amount of money as an engineer.. but you will reach a ceiling until you manage others or own your own firm.

Think about it, many people will tell you to go into an IT job because you can make 80-110 as an IT worker Bee, OR to go into engineering because you can make 130k as an engineer worker Bee, OR to go into X because you can make 100k....

But the true money lies in the leadership of other people either in a business you own or a business you work for, when you have (successful) employees beneath you, you create value for yourself. The other exception is sales... Go ask someone that does sales for Stryker Medical... Top performers make 300K+ in a year.

Sidebar (WARNING)- to those of you that keep talking about IT ... You are nuts. IT is one of the MOST OVERSATURATED markets currently. Read business publications, IT is travelling the same path as Law Practice.

-

-

-

-

-

what about health care? people will always need health care

Thats the arena in which i work in... its a very broad industry, you have to find out what niche you would like to work in.. .administration/management? clinical? technical? Financial?

IF i could do it all over again i'd become a Physical therapist (a job that caps at 80-85k) and start my own practice (a job with unlimited earning potential). BTW, Physical therapy is in such high demand today... will it be once reimbursement rates plummet after Healthcare reform takes place? YES, the demand will still remain, but the field will be less attractive to get into as the earning potential will go down... how do you combat that? You start a practice and get 5-10 PT's working for you.

Guest JCroz91
I would tell you to get into:

Management: Job gets easier as the years go on and the income potential is uncapped.

Entrepreneurship: Job is fun, you work for yourself, income potential is unlimited, and eventually you can be a venture capitalist and kick back and invest in good business ideas.

Sales: Sales will always be a "eat what you kill" market and its the easiest way to be young and make a hell of a lot of money (as long as you are in a good industry). Buyer beware.... 80% of salespeople are only mediocre so watch out for their slanted view on working in sales. But, if you are a top performer your earning potential can be better sooner than later. Example: You can be a sales guy in a company for 2-3 years and make as much as executives and management given you are a top performer.

Most industries/arenas have caps in a non-management/owner situation... What i mean by this is; You can make a decent amount of money as an engineer.. but you will reach a ceiling until you manage others or own your own firm.

Think about it, many people will tell you to go into an IT job because you can make 80-110 as an IT worker Bee, OR to go into engineering because you can make 130k as an engineer worker Bee, OR to go into X because you can make 100k....

But the true money lies in the leadership of other people either in a business you own or a business you work for, when you have (successful) employees beneath you, you create value for yourself. The other exception is sales... Go ask someone that does sales for Stryker Medical... Top performers make 300K+ in a year.

Sidebar (WARNING)- to those of you that keep talking about IT ... You are nuts. IT is one of the MOST OVERSATURATED markets currently. Read business publications, IT is travelling the same path as Law Practice.

this guy can read me like a book. thoes first 3 things are exactly what im looking into

this guy can read me like a book. thoes first 3 things are exactly what im looking into

I am actually mentoring a recent college grad right now. I'd be more than happy to sit down with you whenever and wherever to talk business & college planning and help you gain some direction/traction. I know my shit & I like helping motivated people.

FYI,

IT is only saturated with Newbs fresh out of college with little to no real world experience, because they thought they could turn a quick buck with no work. We post jobs requiring 6-10 years of real world experience, with cert requirements as well. That job will sit for a month with little to no applicants.

The few that make it through have to interview with our resident experts (CCIE's) to filter out the bullshit artists.

To this day it's hard to find a socially acceptable, truly experienced IT Professional to hit the ground running, which is why 99% of these jobs go to internal hires and the lower end positions get filled first.\

FYI,

IT is only saturated with Newbs fresh out of college with little to no real world experience,

Then why would you encourage (or not discourage) him from entering the field after stating that?

FYI,

IT is only saturated with Newbs fresh out of college with little to no real world experience, because they thought they could turn a quick buck with no work. We post jobs requiring 6-10 years of real world experience, with cert requirements as well. That job will sit for a month with little to no applicants.

The few that make it through have to interview with our resident experts (CCIE's) to filter out the bullshit artists.

To this day it's hard to find a socially acceptable, truly experienced IT Professional to hit the ground running, which is why 99% of these jobs go to internal hires and the lower end positions get filled first.\

i see where you are coming from with certs. and specific program experience. Some companies need a person who has their system's experience and there might only be 2-3 other companies in their region that use that same system, yes, those jobs go unfilled.

I'm talking about the IT industry as a whole from an outsiders point of view who is more focused on "calling a spade a spade" frm what i read, hear from people i know that work in IT and therefore interperet.... its saturated.

Find something you enjoy,

I TOTALLY DISAGREE WITH THIS. To the Original Poster, go out and make as much money as possible while you are young and leave "your passions" to be great hobbies you enjoy on the side (with the chance that some day down the road you might be able to make some money or even a living while doing so). You are (when you graduate) going to be too young to worry about quality of life. Ask any realy successful businessman, They all started out working their asses off until they learn and earned their way to a position of power/wealth whether it be for an employer, or for themself.

My best advice for now before you make this decision is to follow these steps:

1. Read books and publications so that you can learn about various markets and areas of growth. This will also give you a diversified view of "th working world" and you won't be polluted with the pople that say "i work in advertising, so should you".. go out and form your own opinions.

2. Talk to very successful people and ask them how they did it (everyone you speak with will tell you the same core princples)

3. realize that it's very rare that you can make money without working hard/smart; Then find a way to work less and earn more. <---- To do this, revert to step 1 & 2...