Best field to major in todays economy?

Guest JCroz91

Only a few things that you need to think about when taking a job and starting a career:

1) Look at your self and your interests and aptitudes. Do something you find interesting and challenging. If it makes the world a better place, you get bonus points.

2) Find out where the money comes from that pays your salary, and how what you do impacts that. The closer you are to generating revenue, the more secure you are (assuming you are good at what you do!).

3) Look at the trends and environmental factors that impact the industry you are looking at, and the risks and opportunities present. Is the industry growing or shrinking?

Consider these things when looking at potential jobs. Don't just look at today, but think about 5, 10, and even 20 years down the road. WHat will the job you do today look like?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well do you like to go fast or have the need for speed? You cant get much faster than a job like mine as a pilot...Our jet goes from stopped to rotation speed of 150mph in about 3/4 of a mile, and cruises at 500+mph. The hardest part is finding the jobs and getting the experience to get a good one. However once you do its a good job, if you like to travel :)

Guest JCroz91
Well do you like to go fast or have the need for speed? You cant get much faster than a job like mine as a pilot...Our jet goes from stopped to rotation speed of 150mph in about 3/4 of a mile, and cruises at 500+mph. The hardest part is finding the jobs and getting the experience to get a good one. However once you do its a good job, if you like to travel :)

thats funny. my friend actually just got and internship to be a pilot. i forget the airlines he said he was with but he literally just got it like 2 days ago or so.

You could learn a trade, but i would stay away from the 'lower end' stuff and go for Electrical/plumbing/Carpentry/HVAC etc where there's a possability to make more. My good friends brother works for a fairly large HVAC company, made it past his apprenticeship and is now making $32/hr. Not bad for someone who doesnt have a 4yr degree really.

Unemployment in construction is around 20%. By March it could be as high as 30%..... There is money there but there isn't any work is the problem.

im majoring in Construction Management...easy and avg salary coming out is 50-75k.

it is such a broad field too.

Barf. I would switch majors right now... there's guys with 5+ years experience that can't find work (myself included). Be smart, switch to nursing or something.

And more realistic is probably 45k starting out.

Unemployment in construction is around 20%. By March it could be as high as 30%..... There is money there but there isn't any work is the problem.

wow, i was totally unaware. But doesnt their unemployment dip along with the colder months? and more jobs pop up in spring, summer and fall? Not that it matters, i wouldnt want to be in a field where i could only have dependable work 9months out of the year.

Nursing is a great profession, but the market in/around Columbus is very saturated with nursing schools. I believe there are 6-8 degree programs that graduate every 6 months. The average class size is around 100, so you have around 600-1200 new nurses a year just in the columbus area. I know people that graduated as an RN in June 08 and just got their first job Oct 09. FYI

without reading the thread at all except for the OP, i can firmly say engineering, specifically civil or manufacturing. there will ALWAYS be a need for engineers in the civil sector and lately they have steadily retained one of the highest starting salaries of all careers.

wow, i was totally unaware. But doesnt their unemployment dip along with the colder months? and more jobs pop up in spring, summer and fall? Not that it matters, i wouldnt want to be in a field where i could only have dependable work 9months out of the year.

Yes it does some but that is not what is causing it right now. No money, no loans= no building.

without reading the thread at all except for the OP, i can firmly say engineering, specifically civil or manufacturing. there will ALWAYS be a need for engineers in the civil sector and lately they have steadily retained one of the highest starting salaries of all careers.

I would agree. Even if you are more of a "people person", I know a lot of people that go on to be attorneys, sales people, business owners...and the engineering background only helps to pad their salary and open opportunities the rest of us holding business degrees couldn't qualify for.

That said, the math is ridiculous. With my love of science, I just don't have a mind for complex mathematical equations.

I have a buddy that went to RIT and graduated with a 3.xx in Mechanical Engineering...he's married with a fat salary, working for a subsidiary of GE in Connecticut and enjoying a new Honda F4i every couple of years. He worked his ass off as an undergrad to get there, though...

Engineering saw a huge increase (like 10-15%) in the number of new students this year. So it may not be all that great in 4-5 years if it becomes saturated. Engineering is not easy and you'll have to be either very smart or very committed. Preferably both.

• 2 months later...

Engineering.

Electrical, Mechanical, Computer, Chemical = First Tier in my mind

Civil, Aero, Mats Science, Industrail = Second Tier in my mind

You will always have a job if you're a responsible engineer, you rule out low pay all together, and you can later merge engineering with business and make more money. An engineering degree is a "non-idiot" degree. You won't do what you learned in school most likely, but you'll do something related that isn't open to those without 4 year engineering degrees.

It will be hard, but it will be worth it. Laugh at those people who live life like it ends when they graduate - for them, it does. For you life will begin when you graduate :) I'm six years out of school and trust me, life is much longer than 18-22 ahahaha!

• 4 weeks later...
Nursing is a great profession, but the market in/around Columbus is very saturated with nursing schools. I believe there are 6-8 degree programs that graduate every 6 months. The average class size is around 100, so you have around 600-1200 new nurses a year just in the columbus area. I know people that graduated as an RN in June 08 and just got their first job Oct 09. FYI

Yep. I graduated in June of 09 and finally got a got a job in March. Most def the most stressful job I've ever had, but they say its gets better. Pay is decent also. I have my BSN also, and it did not help in the job hunt. Too many other new grads. Goold luck though.