Drag Radial Question

wagner

I am looking to get some DR's mounted on some stock Trans Am rims. What suggrestions for size and brand do some of you have?

These will be track use only I plan on taking them on and off at the track.

My car is a very basic bolt on car that will have SFR's and a Pan Hard Rod added to the LCA's and LCA bracket on the car now. It is an auto car with 2:23 gears in it.

If you have any other good information that other could learn from for their application that would be great as well.

Does your car have 2.73s or 3.23s? (Just curious cuz you messed it up.)

For where you're at Nittos would work fine, but the Mickeys are better. Those are the only two I'd use. Chad had some BFGs but they wore out really fast. 245/50/16 or 255/50/16 is about your only options on size. M/T has a 28" tire that can be used but I really don't think you'd need it.

Does your car have 2.73s or 3.23s? (Just curious cuz you messed it up.)

For where you're at Nittos would work fine, but the Mickeys are better. Those are the only two I'd use. Chad had some BFGs but they wore out really fast. 245/50/16 or 255/50/16 is about your only options on size. M/T has a 28" tire that can be used but I really don't think you'd need it.

2.73's I was trying to do to much at one time when I posted that.

i had the nittos on my benz and they did not work at all.

thats cause that car had some POWA

i didn't have any issues, when my ss was "some what" stock i ran nitto's with slp cai, long tube headers and slp exhaust ran 12.7 car is also an M6

yea but goodluck on those to hook with your current setup.

Guest Removed
Gears and a converter first.

what he says..

but IMO, taller gear, and a taller rear tire...more sidewall = more grip. thats why all the high power 10.5 racers run the 31" or 33" in most cases instead of the 29" ones

just opinion so take it as such....if you're just running them at the track why not just go slicks? Kinda defeating the added bonus of a drag radial IMO. It's pretty nice to be able to drive to the track and not have to swap tires out. I ran nitto's up until last year then bought a set of MT's and put those on an extra set of rims. I still run nitto's around town and swap wheels to the MT's here at the house the week I'm going to the track. I only do a couple track days a year.

I cut a 1.71 on nitto's and a 1.68 on MT's but the MT's were way more consistent than the nitto's were. I'd see some 1.8x's with nitto's and never got close to 1.8 with the MT's. When my nitto's are done I'll just run MT's all the time. I just like the nitto's because I can get way more life out of the tire on the street. If I had it to do over again I would probably go to a 15" rim and slicks. I almost did that last year instead of the MT's but changed my mind.

just opinion so take it as such....if you're just running them at the track why not just go slicks? Kinda defeating the added bonus of a drag radial IMO. It's pretty nice to be able to drive to the track and not have to swap tires out. I ran nitto's up until last year then bought a set of MT's and put those on an extra set of rims. I still run nitto's around town and swap wheels to the MT's here at the house the week I'm going to the track. I only do a couple track days a year.

I cut a 1.71 on nitto's and a 1.68 on MT's but the MT's were way more consistent than the nitto's were. I'd see some 1.8x's with nitto's and never got close to 1.8 with the MT's. When my nitto's are done I'll just run MT's all the time. I just like the nitto's because I can get way more life out of the tire on the street. If I had it to do over again I would probably go to a 15" rim and slicks. I almost did that last year instead of the MT's but changed my mind.

Because its going on a stock 17'' wheel. Not enough room for the amount of sidewall needed with a slick. Like stated get the converter and gears. From there I vote MT ET streets all the way. I've cut high 1.5's on those things with 17'' wheels on multiple occasions.

Because its going on a stock 17'' wheel. Not enough room for the amount of sidewall needed with a slick. Like stated get the converter and gears. From there I vote MT ET streets all the way. I've cut high 1.5's on those things with 17'' wheels on multiple occasions.

I meant go with slicks on 15's....I pretty much just started rambling in that post at some point. :D If I had it to do over again that's probably what I would do. I also agree on the stall but not really the gears.....I wouldn't put a dime into a 10 bolt.

I meant go with slicks on 15's....I pretty much just started rambling in that post at some point. :D If I had it to do over again that's probably what I would do. I also agree on the stall but not really the gears.....I wouldn't put a dime into a 10 bolt.

Makes cents... thats what I get for only reading the first line :lol:.

Have you ever driven with bias ply slicks on the back and radials street tires on the front?

It is very unstable at high speeds.

I have owned every drag radial there is exect the goodyear.

IMHO

Nitto = great wear, bad traction I have cut 1.64 with the 245/16 when the car was newer

BFG= poor wear, traction is about the same as the nitto. They suck

M&H and the M&T are close to the same. M&H are better street tire for handling and wear. M&T are better track tire for traction. Both are very heavy tires

Hoosier= best traction and light weight. They are closer to a radial slick than a drag radial. Hook like a mother but wear like shit. Street manners are just like driving a slick tire on the street, soft sidewall.

Have you ever driven with bias ply slicks on the back and radials street tires on the front?

It is very unstable at high speeds.

I have owned every drag radial there is exect the goodyear.

IMHO

Nitto = great wear, bad traction I have cut 1.64 with the 245/16 when the car was newer

BFG= poor wear, traction is about the same as the nitto. They suck

M&H and the M&T are close to the same. M&H are better street tire for handling and wear. M&T are better track tire for traction. Both are very heavy tires

Hoosier= best traction and light weight. They are closer to a radial slick than a drag radial. Hook like a mother but wear like shit. Street manners are just like driving a slick tire on the street, soft sidewall.

This man speaks the truth. Pretty much echoes my experience with all the brands i've owned. Aside from the weight though, the MT's are my fav and the Hoosiers are #2.