Question about custody agreements/child support...

Bam

Ok, so we're finally finishing up the shared parenting custody agreements and while we agree on everything and I'm fine with all that, I have a question about all the legal mumbo jumbo at the end of the document that HER attorney prepared.

It physically states that NEITHER parent is ordered to pay child support and that the MOTHER, is responsible for maintaining health insurance and ALL costs associated with our daughter, daycare, activities, etc are to be shared 50/50. That's all in clear and plain english.

But then at end of the document, for a couple pages, it goes on and on about legal codes and shit like that, and states something to the effect of...

EACH PARTY TO THIS SUPPORT ORDER MUST NOTIFY THE CHILD SUPPORT ENFORCEMENT AGENCY IN WRITING OF HIS OR HER CURRENT MAILING ADDRESS, CURRENT RESIDENCE ADDRESS, CURRENT RESIDENCE TELEPHONE NUMBER, CURRENT DRIVER’S LICENSE NUMBER, AND OF ANY CHANGES IN THAT INFORMATION. EACH PARTY MUST NOTIFY THE AGENCY OF ALL CHANGES UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE FROM THE COURT OR AGENCY, WHICHEVER ISSUED THE SUPPORT ORDER. IF YOU ARE THE OBLIGOR UNDER A CHILD SUPPORT ORDER AND YOU FAIL TO MAKE THE REQUIRED NOTIFICATIONS, YOU MAY BE FINED UP TO $50 FOR A FIRST OFFENSE, $100 FOR A SECOND OFFENSE, AND $500 FOR EACH SUBSEQUENT OFFENSE. IF YOU ARE AN OBLIGOR OR OBLIGEE UNDER ANY SUPPORT ORDER ISSUED BY A COURT AND YOU WILLFULLY FAIL TO GIVE THE REQUIRED NOTICES, YOU MAY BE FOUND IN CONTEMPT OF COURT AND BE SUBJECTED TO FINES UP TO $1000 AND IMPRISONMENT FOR NOT MORE THAN 90 DAYS.

ETC ETC ETC. It says they can garnish my wages/put leins on my assets/etc.

Why do we need this in our document if 1) there is NO support order, 2) we agree on everything, and 3) we're not going in front of a judge, we're merely putting it on record that I rights as the father, even though I'm on her birth certificate/etc, without the document the mother has all the rights.

Also, if the mother doesn't ASK/Request child support/whatever, the costs can't just decide to garnish my wages/whatever because they want to, right?

I guess I'm just kinda leery about big brother, and them having me on 'file' per say in the child support agency, for no reason at all.

TIA

I have my own attorney, LOL, its just LATE and I can't really call her right now, well I could but I don't feel like it. I will be having her review this latest version of the document, but still, I was curious and wanted to understand better while it was fresh in my mind.

thanks guys

As long as you pay what you're supposed to and she doesn't receive any help from the state or request Social Services help, you should be fine...

Well see, she does get Title 20, for help with daycare costs, and I think our daughter is on Caresource, which is free health insurance...

What do these have to do with it?

It's not like I haven't been in my daughters life since day one, I am on the birth cert and they have had knowledge I am the father since day one, so I'm just wondering if this paperwork will change anything?

THIS is why YOU need YOUR OWN atty....

I'm just sayin....

:thumbup:

KillJoy

+1

Got a buddy going through a mess with his EX. One thing I might mention is that you word it so all costs (that both parents agree to) are split 50/50. My buddy's EX decided one of their sons needed counseling, and racked up $1000 in bills before she told him about it. Then just in passing announced to him he owed her half of that as medical expenses. This should not apply to emergency situations obviously. Other than that all I can recommend is document, document, document. Take nothing for granted, keep 2 copies of EVERYTHING. Pay with checks so there is a paper trail. ETC... And if she felt the need to contract a lawyer for this process, then you need one too.

It's because of our income. I currently don't work and she only makes like $12/hr.

The health insurance is free, the daycare is just discounted.

Free to you but someone is certainly paying it. If you dont mind me asking are you layed off, injured, or just not working?

Free to you but someone is certainly paying it. If you dont mind me asking are you layed off, injured, or just not working?

I understand someone is paying it, I paid it while I worked and she's paying it while working, it's all part of the taxes. I took a year off to finish school, I graduate in May. It's not like we'll be using it forever, but that's the reason it is there, for situations like this.

But this thread isn't about that, I am curious to hear about anyone else's experience with this and regards to the legal jargon.

Thanks

well, if you agree to split costs 50/50, and you bail on it, maybe its so she can go after you for your half, or vice versa...?? never been through it so thats my guess

This is almost 100% spot on.

There is more to it then that.

So, if you don't work, why are we paying for your daughter to go to daycare?

You aren't. You're paying into a fund that assists with this. She doesn't go full time, and I have to have someone to watch her while I'm in class.

duh

• Downvote 2

You aren't. You're paying into a fund that assists with this. She doesn't go full time, and I have to have someone to watch her while I'm in class.

duh

Yes, we are. I know how Title 20 works, my wife worked in daycare for the last 2.5 years.

So basically what you are saying is, we have to pay for her to go to daycare because you decided to quit your job and go back to school? You have a kid, yet you still choose to leave work?

Duh :rolleyes:

Yes, we are. I know how Title 20 works, my wife worked in daycare for the last 2.5 years.

So basically what you are saying is, we have to pay for her to go to daycare because you decided to quit your job and go back to school? You have a kid, yet you still choose to leave work?

Duh :rolleyes:

Wonderful, You know EVERYTHING, which of course, I already knew by your previous posts.

You should know, since you know everything, that whether or not I chose to take advantage of Title 20 for a year, your costs didn't change, you still paid for it, whether or not I use it.

And yes, I chose to take a year off and finish school because SHIT happens, and not everyone has MOMMY AND DADDY to give them tons of money to buy shit and nice cars. And I was 19 when I found out my girlfriend was pregnant, so I chose to do the responsible thing and get a job to support my daughter, rather than continue school and be an unfit parent. I then went back to school part time for the past 4 years, while working. Things changed and I saw the opportunity to better our lives by finishing my ONE year of school left if i went FULL time, and get out of crappy paying jobs, so I took it. I have no regrets.

Now take your negativity and useless posts and stay the fuck out of MY thread.

Thanks

Wonderful, You know EVERYTHING, which of course, I already knew by your previous posts.

You should know, since you know everything, that whether or not I chose to take advantage of Title 20 for a year, your costs didn't change, you still paid for it, whether or not I use it.

And yes, I chose to take a year off and finish school because SHIT happens, and not everyone has MOMMY AND DADDY to give them tons of money to buy shit and nice cars. And I was 19 when I found out my girlfriend was pregnant, so I chose to do the responsible thing and get a job to support my daughter, rather than continue school and be an unfit parent. I then went back to school part time for the past 4 years, while working. Things changed and I saw the opportunity to better our lives by finishing my ONE year of school left if i went FULL time, and get out of crappy paying jobs, so I took it. I have no regrets.

Now take your negativity and useless posts and stay the fuck out of MY thread.

Thanks

I definitely know a lot more than your irresponsible ass.

I don't want to pay for idiots like your and your (likely) moronic offspring at all.

Too bad you don't have mommy and daddy to pay for everything, last I checked, neither do I. I work to buy my nice cars and support my family. You chose to do 1 responsible thing, and then chose to do something completely ridiculous. You have no regrets because the rest of us, that actually work for our living, pay for your idiocy. Why would you regret not working? it doesn't change anything for you.

Now, take your useless life and end it.

I am trying like hell to not put my kids on whatever the govt calls their insurance now. I havent worked in 10 months, and blowing through my savings just to pay for it. I hope the day doesnt come I run out and have to sign up.

See Jason, you didn't make the choice to get injured. The system is there to help people who really need it. It is not there so irresponsible people, who likely shouldn't reproduce anyway, can take and take and take.