Cooper Stadium/Jeff Gordon/Race track proposal

2 Sweet

Hopefully this isn't a repost. Pretty cool though...

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/01/29/COOPER_STADIUM_USE.ART_ART_01-29-10_B1_13GEIGU.html?sid=101

NASCAR star Jeff Gordon is involved in the racetrack proposal for Cooper Stadium, which also could include a mechanic's school and auto-technology center.

John Bickford, stepfather of the NASCAR star and vice president and general manager of Jeff Gordon Inc., said Gordon will help design the half-mile track through his design company.

"We're recommending that we go forward with this project full steam," Bickford said.

Bill Schottenstein, a principal in Arshot Investment Corp., the project developer, said, "They're going to become part of the partnership.

"It's an incredible opportunity for the city."

Bickford came to Columbus yesterday to meet with community leaders and residents and gauge their interest. Some residents have been concerned that the track would be too noisy.

Gordon's involvement brings credibility to a project that's been discussed for almost two years, said officials who attended the meeting at Cooper Stadium.

"It validates the concept," said Jim Schimmer, Franklin County's economic-development and planning director."What they've proposed as an automotive-training component is fantastic."

Franklin County Commissioner John O'Grady said, "They put a lot of time and effort into understanding what this can be."

Gordon is involved in the Joe Hendrick Center for Automotive Technology at Central Piedmont Community College in suburban Charlotte, N.C. A similar program could be created at the Cooper Stadium track, dubbed Cooper Park, Bickford said.

Arshot, based in Columbus, has an option to buy the 46-acre site from Franklin County for $3.3 million.

The project faces hurdles. The Columbus City Council has to rezone the site, and Arshot still has to go before the Franklinton and Southwest area commissions.

Grass-roots support is important, said Joe Sugar, Arshot's general counsel.

In December 2008, county commissioners extended the option to buy the property until this May, but it could be extended again if need be, subject to approval by county commissioners, Sugar said.

"We'd be willing to discuss it," O'Grady said.

Bickford said there's been no decision on whether Gordon's company would directly invest in the track.

Arshot's $30 million plan includes a trackside hotel and restaurant and a conference center. It would not include a drag strip.

Arshot has said the track would host 16 to 20 races a year, which Bickford said could include ARCA stock-car races and sprint-car events.

The track also could host other events, such as a rodeo, snowboarding and BMX biking.

Gordon's people became involved after they learned about it from an architect working with Arshot.

Arshot also released a report yesterday that said barriers as high as 35 feet would prevent violations of city noise ordinances.

The opposition group ROAR Columbus, or Redevelop Our Area Responsibly, fears that noise from the track would disturb residents and hurt property values as far away as German Village.

ROAR Columbus member Regina Acosta Tobin, a German Village real-estate agent, said her group wants time to absorb the Arshot study.

Mary Rhinehart of ROAR Columbus said she fears the noise would be heard Downtown.

:cool:

better be a drag strip there some where.....

Unfortunately not, it sounds like.

It would be an improvement for the area, the city, and the region.

The fact that it's automotive-related is all the better for us car guys...

+1

From the video it appears Arshot has been listening to the issues and has scaled back on the proposal (in some ways). The drag strip and kart track are gone, but the parking garage and tech center seem to be new additionals along with a lot more "green space". I have also heard the plan is for the entire infield to be paved (instead of the grass shown in the video) to allow for more use. This could include drivers schools, automotive testing, AUTOCROSS, along with entertainment events as shown.

If you read the comments about the Dispatch article, there are of course the nay sayers, but there does seem to be a pretty good level of support.

Dear ROAR,

The old Cooper Stadium is in a shit-hole area NEXT TO TWO FREEWAYS THAT HAVE CONSTANST, HEAVY TRAFFIC.

This is not going to hurt property values.

Signed,

Anyone with common sense.

I agree. I'm in that area all the time since its on my route of delieveries. Hell they got the road all torn apart right now with big steel plates every where.

I think this would be a good idea to hopefully clean that area of town up a little.

The school thing sounds pretty cool, as I'm currently trying to get into some autocross action this year for the first time.

I heard they were saying that with the walls around the track it would produce less noise than the freeway it sits next to. (hence the state of the art walls comment)

I think it's a fantastic idea, but again we will see what happens. I feel like it will be important to show support for it in anyway we can to help this along. Instead of saying it will never happen.

they should try and get the owner's of columbus motor speedway to sell, there's plenty of room there to build something bigger and better, its away from downtown plus it could clean up that area

Which is entirely beside the point. They're not trying to set up a world-class racing facility, they're trying to find a way to fill a huge piece of property in a shitty part of town with horrible access, and at the same time, bring some money into what really is a blighted neighborhood.

Thing is, the facility that artists rendering shows pretty clearly is bigger than the Cooper Stadium property. It looks like they'd have to gouge Graham Ford's used car lot out, along with Sunbelt Rentals, and that building on the lot behind them.

Dear ROAR,

The old Cooper Stadium is in a shit-hole area NEXT TO TWO FREEWAYS THAT HAVE CONSTANST, HEAVY TRAFFIC.

Signed,

QFT

not to mention it isn't very far from smelly ass 104 and 71, and the property value in that area can't get much lower. WTF ROAR?

Dear ROAR,

Signed,

+Juan.

If anyone knows of a group that supports this endeavor, I would seriously like to contact them and get involved in any way I can. :thumbup: