Your First Bike?

Main3s

After a few summers of talking about it, I've decided to get a bike this year. Having no experience I'm starting small and would like to work my way into a decent sport bike. But I just wanted to see what other people started out with. Did you have a bike that was excelent to start with? Pros/ Cons. Just trying to get a feel for bikes is all, thanks!

Guest tbutera2112

cant speak from experience about sport bikes, but i started on the vmax...its a lot of bike...start slow, dont ride beyong your ability, dont do group riding for awhile, just get a feel for the bike...you should be good on any bike as long as you acknowledge that you need practice riding it first, before hopping on and taking off WOT...i personally dont understand the "starter bike" thing, a bike is only as fast as you turn the throttle...and you will get bored quick...notice 08 ninja 250s with 1k miles on them for sale ALL OVER

if you insist on a tiny starter bike, a ninja 250 would be where you would want to look...if youre not set on a sport bike, an sv650 would be a nice starter bike also...theyre sport touring

or go on CL and pick up a 1980 something cruiser for $1200 and ride it around for a month or two...best thing about bikes that old, is as long as you dont wreck them, they really dont lose any value since theyre already rock bottom

personally...if you want a sport bike, i would go ahead and find the one you want, and just take it easy for awhile

also, take the BRC1 class, it will be a good way for you to get started and learn the basics, also gets you your endorsement

1996 zx6r ninja, bike was a POS, i got it painted and running decent and sold it for what i bought it for. as long as you are responsible and not a retard (see alex for example) you should be fine, just remember that any bike can kill you. Also most of the time its not the bikes fault but a car/truck that doesn't know you are there. So just be careful and you have to be a very defensive rider.

edit: Start out with a shitty bike so if you do accidently drop it, it won't matter. i know alot of people have been finding mid 80's honda CB's for less than a grand, that would be my starter bike if i had to do it over again.

1996 zx6r ninja, bike was a POS, i got it painted and running decent and sold it for what i bought it for. as long as you are responsible and not a retard (see alex for example) you should be fine, just remember that any bike can kill you. Also most of the time its not the bikes fault but a car/truck that doesn't know you are there. So just be careful and you have to be a very defensive rider.

edit: Start out with a shitty bike so if you do accidently drop it, it won't matter. i know alot of people have been finding mid 80's honda CB's for less than a grand, that would be my starter bike if i had to do it over again.

Yeah, I'm trying to find one around $800-$1k. This year my goal is to just get comfortable with it. Probably ride it around my neighborhood on the weekends, maybe venture out a little further. I'm in no hurry so I'm just going to take it slow. I've always considered myself a very alert driver. I'm confident in my abilities (but not overly confident) and I defiantly respect bikes but I'm not afraid either so I'm really looking forward to it!

Yeah, I'm trying to find one around $800-$1k. This year my goal is to just get comfortable with it. Probably ride it around my neighborhood on the weekends, maybe venture out a little further. I'm in no hurry so I'm just going to take it slow. I've always considered myself a very alert driver. I'm confident in my abilities (but not overly confident) and I defiantly respect bikes but I'm not afraid either so I'm really looking forward to it!

if that is all you are looking for out of a bike then get that $700 CB550 that alex just posted in the chat box. it'll do everything you need and if you drop it? fuck it its not a gem anyways.

Some very good advice in the above posts.

My first bike? 1968 Bridgestone 350 GTR, two stroke, British engineered, made in Asia. Electricals were pretty much weather-dependant....it sounded like a popcorn popper at idle and smoked like an insect fogger. I don't recommend you start with one of those. ;)

my first street bike was my yzf600r an my vstar but i grew up riding dirtbikes an quads that had WAYYYYYY more power then my current bikes so these are kinda boring me right now

but x3 on taking the motorcycle course tis liek 25 bucks an they give u a bike to ride they teach u everything u nee to know an if u pass u can get ur license.

My first bike was my 07sv650s. I'd only rode a dirt bike once before that. To learn I just hopped on the bike and followed my friend around the local streets for a few hours the first day and then just went out as much as I could after that.

I've only ever ridden my bike so I can't compare it to others but it's a quick bike that goes plenty fast but not fast enough to get me into some super serious trouble. I've had my share of minor mistakes but nothing that's put me down on the ground and I think I owe that to the beginner bike.

I went the older bike route. 1975 Honda CB750 for $1,000. Have another $1,000 into it, and have been offered $3,500. I will probably have it forever.

The downside with these older bikes is the brakes aren't so good, and the seats aren't so comfortable. But, they are cheap and as stated you won't lose money on them. If you go this route, see if you can find one that is somewhat collectible.

I still have my first bike. 1975 Harley Sportster (with electric start, but no kicker). It is true, old Harleys don't leak oil, they mark their spot. I was 26 years old, quit my job and bought the Harley in the same week. I was accused of having the youngest midlife crises in history. I don't recommend a 35 year old 1000cc cast iron bitch for a first bike.