Turbo Cars

KStang3.8

Nate, please abide by the forum rules when posting. You did not make fun of anyone, talk shit about any company or person, post a stupid picture, or say something blatantly off topic.

Further, you must use at least one of the words moar, teh, fail, joo, homo, buttsecks, or vetc yo in every post.

Stop trying to bring rationality to the board. I hate you.

j/k you know I love you.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/65/9cyPFQbgCqat0cxvzLmqxTRMo1_500.jpg

moar homo buttseks

i like teh vetc in my xbox yo!

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If buy a turbo awd car, you're not stupid.

Out of this discussion and my own research into prices and such, i've really become fond of the Mazdaspeed 6. its AWD. Its my favorite as of right now. I mean i'd rather have an Evo 9, but i probably won't be able to afford one with reasonable mileage.

Just doing some thinking from an engineering point of view:

The move towards lower displacement (and lower cylinder count) with forced induction is aimed at conserving fuel usage but providing similar power.

The general idea being:

· There isn't a constant need to operate at 100% throttle and at 100% power

· Higher mechanical efficiency from lower loss -- namely in reduced frictional loss (e.g. moving 4 pistons vs. 8 pistons)

However, there are some interesting concepts that should be taken into consideration:

· All SI engines are subject to pumping loss, namely, the throttle (excluding GDI systems)

· As [cylinder] displacement grows, consumption will fundamentally be less, due to a boost in thermal efficiency (surface area : volume ratio)

Can we have our cake, and eat it too?

Our cake (fuel consumption) favors a reasonably sized >n cylinder engine operating with a large throttle opening and relatively low rpm (2500-3500rpm). Without comparing powertrain [e.g. transmission & gearing] and road loss [e.g. areo], this is possible with your Sti, Evo, GSX, etc…

But what compromise do we need to make to eat our cake?

Power (digestion of our beloved cake) is a function of many things, but namely cylinder pressure. If one can fill the cylinder with air (oxidizer), provide a fuel (octane), and ignite the mixture at the optimum time without abnormality, one has eateded their cake.

Common sense dictates an engine that displaces 2L with 4 cylinders has to at least triple the cylinder pressure as 6L 8 cylinder, thus, there will be a considerable amount of additional force on components in >n cylinder/displacement engine. For argumentative purposes – there is an invisible line of limitation to engine size and output – the size of an engine is still a major factor in power output.

We might not be able to fully engulf our cake, but with the help of technology, we can devour a few forks worth….

i actually understand what you just said. and i like it.

Peace out bout to go NOM on some cake.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/Omally23/noms.jpg

Just doing some thinking from an engineering point of view:

The move towards lower displacement (and lower cylinder count) with forced induction is aimed at conserving fuel usage but providing similar power.

The general idea being:

· There isn't a constant need to operate at 100% throttle and at 100% power

· Higher mechanical efficiency from lower loss -- namely in reduced frictional loss (e.g. moving 4 pistons vs. 8 pistons)

However, there are some interesting concepts that should be taken into consideration:

· All SI engines are subject to pumping loss, namely, the throttle (excluding GDI systems)

· As [cylinder] displacement grows, consumption will fundamentally be less, due to a boost in thermal efficiency (surface area : volume ratio)

Can we have our cake, and eat it too?

Our cake (fuel consumption) favors a reasonably sized >n cylinder engine operating with a large throttle opening and relatively low rpm (2500-3500rpm). Without comparing powertrain [e.g. transmission & gearing] and road loss [e.g. areo], this is possible with your Sti, Evo, GSX, etc…

But what compromise do we need to make to eat our cake?

Power (digestion of our beloved cake) is a function of many things, but namely cylinder pressure. If one can fill the cylinder with air (oxidizer), provide a fuel (octane), and ignite the mixture at the optimum time without abnormality, one has eateded their cake.

Common sense dictates an engine that displaces 2L with 4 cylinders has to at least triple the cylinder pressure as 6L 8 cylinder, thus, there will be a considerable amount of additional force on components in >n cylinder/displacement engine. For argumentative purposes – there is an invisible line of limitation to engine size and output – the size of an engine is still a major factor in power output.

We might not be able to fully engulf our cake, but with the help of technology, we can devour a few forks worth….

Nice... I knew I should have been a mechanical engineer...

Out of this discussion and my own research into prices and such, i've really become fond of the Mazdaspeed 6. its AWD. Its my favorite as of right now. I mean i'd rather have an Evo 9, but i probably won't be able to afford one with reasonable mileage.

don't worry, you'll change your mind several times in the next few years

i guess i just don't understand how it wouldn't be?

i got it with 62,000 miles for 7,000 but it needed a new front bumper and the headlights were fogged to shit. At the time, 7,000 was a V6 with more like 90,000 miles, even 100,000. It has awesome headlights now, new front bumper, and i've treated it like god. I could cover up the odometer, show you everything, let you drive it, and you'd think it was brand new. not to mention 2500 in aftermarket parts. anyways, i plan on selling it when it has 90-100K miles. which was worth 7000 two years ago. so, why wouldn't it sell for a similiar price now? do aftermarket parts depreciate the car? if so, i'll just find some 16 year old who wants a cool "fast" red coupe sports car and get atleast 5000 out of his mom.

do you not think so?

i dunno how many miles are on your car but I've seen more than a handful of clean 99-04 v6 mustangs with like 60-75k miles for $4k.

Yes, modifications do lower the value typically, (people sometimes think you ragged on the car), but at best they generally don't add value either. I don't see $2500 worth of mods in your sig, so maybe I'm missing something.

LOL, you paid more for that v6 Mustang than I paid for my loaded LS1 6-speed Camaro :lol:

Dude, KBB it and see what it says, then take a couple grand off and you'll probably have a ballpark figure of what it's worth in a few years. And that's if it's still in the same condition and not a whole lot more miles

that blows :(

magnaflow catback ~550

bbk shorty headers ~270

bbk CAI ~180

Ford Racing LSD ~225

4.10 Gears ~180

SCT Tuner ~350

thats 1755

+headlights 200

so i guess thats just 1955, but i payed 360 to have the exhaust installed and 420 for the rear end, so that'd take it to 2795

so technically, $1955 in mods. Still, its way faster than stock. 17.6 1/4 mile stock. beat a guy in a street race who ran a 15.3 buy a couple cars. so. its alot faster than stock (still way slow though lol)

am i wrong that if i try to sell it myself i won't find someone who wants it for $5K ?

LOL, you paid more for that v6 Mustang than I paid for my loaded LS1 6-speed Camaro :lol:

Dude, KBB it and see what it says, then take a couple grand off and you'll probably have a ballpark figure of what it's worth in a few years. And that's if it's still in the same condition and not a whole lot more miles

doesn't that blow? parents got it for me. told me they didn't want me to have a V8 car. So, atleast i didn't waste MY money on it.

EDIT: yes i did, 2000 in mods lol.

You can ask $5k, but who knows if you'll get it. It won't hurt. Depends on the market, time of year, etc.

I had a really nice GTP, fucking SUPER clean, probably one of the nicest Grand Prixs in Columbus. It was seriously spotless inside and out, looked like a brand new car. Not a single problem, a few mods (which don't add any value btw), great all around car. But it was a '97 with 135k miles, so KBB said it wasn't worth dick (I think they valued it at 2700) and I didn't think anyone would pay what I would have asked for it (over 4k). So, I ended up trading it for a truck that was worth more, then selling that a few months later.

I suppose it would have been worth a shot to try and sell it for what I thought it was worth. I guess what I'm trying to say is that a car is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it, but more often than not they always go by NADA or KBB. If you aren't desperate to sell it, ask $5k and see if anyone bites, but don't be surprised if you end up sitting on it for a while until you lower the price.

Thanks for the advice. What you did was smart, i may have to try something like that. My friend traded is 2002 civic Si Ep3 hatch, SLOW AS BALLS. DESTROYED IT in my stang. Traded it, even trade, to a guy for an SRT-4 with 10K miles less than his civic. i couldn't believe it.

But ya, most likely i'll ask 5, and actually ask my friends to ask their friends and their friends and so on if they want the car. theres a ton ricers in reynoldsburg. they'd love to have a mustang with a deep sounding exhaust. i feel like i'm bound to find one who looks at the mods and is like HOLY SHIT THATS AMAZING FOR ONLY 5K. i used to think like that lol.

3800...damn man. and don't forget, i'm not sellin this puppy for atleast 3 years. so you all are right. i'm only gonna get like 2000 for it. shiiiiiit.

if it was your car, would you sell it for 2000 or ride it till it dies, all the while saving up money?

cuz the way i take car of this car, it should atleast make it to 150K miles. right now only has 75K.

3800...damn man. and don't forget, i'm not sellin this puppy for atleast 3 years. so you all are right. i'm only gonna get like 2000 for it. shiiiiiit.

if it was your car, would you sell it for 2000 or ride it till it dies, all the while saving up money?

cuz the way i take car of this car, it should atleast make it to 150K miles. right now only has 75K.

Just keep it as a daily, after school find a good job and buy a car.

yeah, its not gonna be worth jack in 3 years, if its in decent shape just keep it as a daily beater.

and yeah, you paid more for your v6 stang than i did for my 99 formula, or my 2000 mustang gt, but if you enjoy/like it, its only a number.

My first car was a 99 V6 mustang...what a piece that was. Completely worthless at everything it did, the only thing that wasn't terrible was the Mach sound system. I got smoked by a friend in his old ass busted Buick something with a 3800.

keep it as your daily driver---don't get rid of a well-running car that you won't get shit for. find an insurance company that gives you a discount for a 'secondary car' that barely gets driven, and insure whatever car you buy as your secondary car. state farm has this, for instance. its a pretty decent discount