Any good fishing spots around columbus?

Shawn89

If you want to just catch any fish. Find water and throw a worm/bobber. If you are looking for something in particular Columbus has just about anything you could possibly want to catch in it.

If you want easy access for family and relaxing Alum Creek has a ton of shore access.

Hoover would be a nice spot. Go to the spill way with some minnows I am sure you could find a fish or two.

You want bass fishing the Columbus rivers are packed full of small mouth great sport fish.

Alum also has a few musky hiding in it.

I am not familiar with Antrim but I have heard it it decent fishing as well.

Good luck send me a pm if you want some more ideas.

I went to alum creek last month and nothing at all was even bitting. I left there and went to deer creek and nothing lol. I've been fishing in the river off 665 and 762 and....well, nothing lol. Off 665 though its fun because I get to do some off roading and there's not many spots around to do that. I've also tryed a bunch of ponds in groveport by all the warehouse' and I have got nothing.

But, last night I was at Pond in obetz and I caught a nice size channle catfish, about 10lbs or so. I just don't like having the cops watching everything I do.

Buckeye Lake out east will consistency produce fish, although generally only medium sized as far as catfish go. Griggs Reservoir is also good for bass, and catfish too, just don't cast out too far if you're bait-fishing or you get into the main channel where it's a little deeper than you want.

I've personally been into carp fishing lately, as silly as that sounds. Since I don't eat what I catch anyway they put up a great fight, and that's all I'm in it for. They get pretty giant quick and can be found all over. You use pretty much the same gear as you would for big cats, but different bait and methods obviously. My buddy caught this 23lb common carp a couple weeks ago, biggest I've personally seen, although they get into the 40+ range.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x33/spankis/Fishing/DSC_0061-edited.jpg

As far as Antrim Lake, I've been meaning to try that as well. Probably will here in the next few weeks once I'm not so busy with classes.

I haven't tryed buckeye lake in a long time. Last time I was there was 2 summer ago tubing and I swallowd some water apon bail and I was sick for 3 days lol. I wouldn't eat anything out of that lake. I have been to grigs dam 2 or 3 times, 1st time I was there we herd fish splashing like crazy and really close to us but didn't catch anything. So far the best place for bass has been dillon state park by the dam, we sat there and caught small spriped bass all day next to the dam.

What is he using to catch them? We have some giant White Amur (grass carp) at our work...;)

Link to work LOL....

Seriously though, I've never caught a grass carp but I've been reading up on them a lot and would like to try. The bait and technique is completely different than it is for common carp. From what I'm reading a lot of guys catch them on green beans or corn, either on the surface or suspended just below from a float. A technique called "freelining" is also popular I guess.

Grass carp are solely vegetarian though, so they can be a little tougher to entice I believe. I honestly would be interested in where you're seeing giants at though. I imagine they look like missiles in the water?

Link to work LOL....

Seriously though, I've never caught a grass carp but I've been reading up on them a lot and would like to try. The bait and technique is completely different than it is for common carp. From what I'm reading a lot of guys catch them on green beans or corn, either on the surface or suspended just below from a float. A technique called "freelining" is also popular I guess.

Grass carp are solely vegetarian though, so they can be a little tougher to entice I believe. I honestly would be interested in where you're seeing giants at though. I imagine they look like missiles in the water?

They live in our 2 ponds at work (PM). They are about as big as your leg, and have been here for YEARS. They have so much algae to munch on they are nearly impossible to entice. :(

We also have some very nice 4-5lb Large-Mouths as well. ;)

corn balls to catch carp. IIRC, we used like corn meal, corn syrup, corn flakes (no bullshit) and when that wasnt working so great, we pulled up some grass and smashed it into the ball, worked then

like above, my aunt has leg size carp in her pond.

if you go to buckeye, hit up a canal, throw a few pieces of torn up bread onto the water... throw it hard enough they can hear it...they'll come up, then put one on a hook and wait for them to eat it. works every time

I used to catch HUGE carp down in Texas. Especially, Lake Limestone. I would take 3 poles. Fish one with a crappie rig (some of the best crappie fishing in the states), one for carp, and one for reeling in catfish or bass to keep myself busy. I never kept the carp (takes some skill to clean, pain in the ass. There was usually someone who wanted them.), but I love fighting those things. They are tough and you need some decent gear for the big ones. Now, I haven't seen any more than a 2-2 1/2ft long here, but those are just along the shore. If you want to get your kid addicted to fishing (or scare the shit out of them) fish for some carp. We always used corn down south.

What's funny, is that there are two little hidden ponds/lakes near my house in Delaware chock full of these things so I decided to pick up some canned corn just yesterday. In the evening, I can stop just about anywhere along river rd north of Delaware and find them all along the bank of the river, too. Bow fishing or spearing would be super simple, too. Just be sure to move real slow. No fun in that, though, unless you're utilizing them.

My buddy and I use a fairly complex setup for carp that has proven very effective, but basically a nice dual drag spinning reel, a 10 or 12 foot surf rod, a 2 or 3oz sinker for packbait, and 1 or 2 kernels of corn just above the hook. Perfect carp setup...also look into bait alarms, can't beat it :).

I haven't really tryed to fish for anything other than cats, they fight hard and they will go after anything that smells. Recently I was watching river monsters and jeremy wade was useing soad to catch catfish. Haven't tryed it yet but I will next time I'm out.

Also it looks like I'm gonna be trying to make some cornballs and going to buckeye lake. That should be a nice change from screwing around with liver!

Shawn get ahold of me tomorrow, we can go to several spots, last night I got a nice 5 12 lb large mouth. I will show you what 40 lb grass carp look like, they are huge big scaled nasty fuckers. If I get time I will rig up my bow fishing set up and we can take some out. I have been having great luck with bass and crappie this year, I don't catfish much but other guys I see out catch them. Either way if you want to small and large mouth fish call me. You know I have all the damn hook ups around here.

Shawn I forgot to tell you, I want to fish this big lake 2 mile hike, its been a few years since I went to, but I have permisson. Hands down I have never seen so many huge 6+ lb large mouth in one area, my friends dad had a cooler with 2 huge gut bass inside. If you want to go be at my house at 5 that will give us a few hours.

Shawn I forgot to tell you, I want to fish this big lake 2 mile hike, its been a few years since I went to, but I have permisson. Hands down I have never seen so many huge 6+ lb large mouth in one area, my friends dad had a cooler with 2 huge gut bass inside. If you want to go be at my house at 5 that will give us a few hours.

I'm in. My trucks already muddy as shit anyway so if we gotta go offroad I'm all for it!

I'm in. My trucks already muddy as shit anyway so if we gotta go offroad I'm all for it![/QUOTe

Sweet on break I ran out to my car, I'm getting my stuff ready right now. Make sure you bring some type of bug spray. We are going to walk through some thick woods so don't be a pussy when we get ticks on us. I might need to pick up some ivy off, last time I went to this place the poison ivy put me in the hospital lol.

I'm in. My trucks already muddy as shit anyway so if we gotta go offroad I'm all for it![/QUOTe

Sweet on break I ran out to my car, I'm getting my stuff ready right now. Make sure you bring some type of bug spray. We are going to walk through some thick woods so don't be a pussy when we get ticks on us. I might need to pick up some ivy off, last time I went to this place the poison ivy put me in the hospital lol.

Ticks don't bother me as bad as snakes, I hate snakes infact they make me hypervenilate someimes. Where long pants and shirt and you'll be fine lol. Ill pickup some bug spray at the fishermens warehouse tomorow. I love a good hike threw thick brush though lol