Dealership cross-threaded a lug nut

Mallard

Last time I was at the dealer they said they HAD to rotate my tires (we won free service for a year). Today I was going to change front pads and rotors and did one side with no problem. The other side had one cross-threaded lug nut that came 98% of the way off, then the entire wheel stud started turning. How the hell do I get this thing off? Would an impact do it?

I'm about to just take it to a tire shop and have them do it.

BTW, I fucking hate the dealership.

Guest tbutera2112
Impact will probably just spin it faster.

i dont see that being the case, especially if its only got 2% of the threads still on it

thats what impacts are designed for

perfect example is disassembling a macpherson strut, you have to actually hold the base with a special tool and then take the nut off, but the impact hits its so quick/hard it takes it off without moving the base, and that lug nut cant be any tighter than that...thats why impact uses little hits real fast, to prevent anything from spinning like that

i dont see that being the case, especially if its only got 2% of the threads still on it

perfect example is disassembling a macpherson strut, you have to actually hold the base with a special tool and then take the nut off, but the impact hits its so quick/hard it takes it off without moving the base, and that lug nut cant be any tighter than that...thats why impact uses little hits real fast, to prevent anything from spinning like that

Wrong Tyler, read his post again, he said the whole thing is spinning. An impact isn't going to do shit.

Sounds like the splines stripped out either in the head of the stud or the hub. Depending on the car and type of wheel thats on it there is a couple ways to go about fixing it. The easiest is to cut the stud behind the nut, or split the nut off. Then see about replacing the stud, hopefully your hub is fine.

Not all dealerships do shit like this, I've fixed quite a few things like this because I'm in charge of the lube techs at my dealership. Sorry to hear other places can't fix their own mistakes before you even know they happened.

Impact will probably just spin it faster.

Do you have a press-in stud or a screw-in stud?

No idea. It's a 2004 Nissan Altima.

Sounds like I'll try hitting it with an impact at work tomorrow, or I'll take it to a shop.

Thanks guys.

they do make over sized splined lug studs to repair this. most of the time you get luckey and the stud pushed back out of the hub and thats why it spins.

as for getting it out there are two things that have worked well for me depending on how bad it is. first you need to get some PB blaster or the like on the threads, if its not an open ended lug nut drill a hole in the end. the chrome is real thin so it won't be a problem then soak it with PB.

now the two ways to try are either take all the other lug nut off and then get a pry bar behind the wheel to put pressure to hold the stud in the hub. you can also get a socket, punch or prybar between the rotor and wheel then tighten the 2 lug nuts opposit the bad one to pull out on the stud then try and get it off with an impact.

Guest 614Streets
Should come off with a impact if you get all the other lugs off then drop car on the ground with jack just a bit below the jacking point , turn the wheel to put pressure on the stud and then impact it.

+1 for impact. same principle as a tie rod end.