What is this

Sam1647545489

Guest tbutera2112

just an ignition module...like an MSD box for a car

just the module part - but heres the set...its most likely a factory ignition box that was replaced and thats the old junk one laying in the back of the boat

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380251946722&crlp=1_263602_263622&ff4=263602_263622&viewitem=&guid=a839186f1290a0e20317d127fdd3d0ee&rvr_id=125181285902&ua=WVF%3F&itemid=380251946722

Its been so long but I think thats what mine did almost everytime when I first got it. The guy I traded to was a marine mechanic and he swapped out a part to fix it I think. Matt remembers what it was. My memory could be fuzzy. i think mine is currently doing it now due to the tune up issue. i am swapping plugs this week and if someone is out during the day, i am trying again.

Yeah I will follow the wiring tomorrow and look for another one. I am wondering if this could be the issue why my box wants to die when I go from gear to neutral. So annoying. It stalls out sometimes and other times it doesnt.

Yeah I cant figure it out what it is. It runs perfect at any speed, I can start it and it will idle fine, as soon as I go in gear then go back to neutral it shuts off. Only sometimes though. Jason if you figure it out, let me know.

Its been so long but I think thats what mine did almost everytime when I first got it. The guy I traded to was a marine mechanic and he swapped out a part to fix it I think. Matt remembers what it was. My memory could be fuzzy. i think mine is currently doing it now due to the tune up issue. i am swapping plugs this week and if someone is out during the day, i am trying again.

There is a stall switch on the shift linkage on the motor. This may be causing the problem if not properly adjusted. The stall switch is designed to stall the engine for a brief second while the outdrive is going in or out of gear. This is special to the Alpha 1 drives.

Also, it could be the lower shift cable. The cable will wear over time, then it drags and doesn't move where its supposed to, that's why it stalls out the motor. It could be your shift cable might be a bit sticky or in need of adjustment. Though I have heard, depending on the age of the cable, it should not be adjusted - it needs replaced... This was the case on Jasons boat and is why his cable was replaced.

I found this in the back of my boat. It was not hooked up to anything. It says Thunderbolt IV breakerless electronic timing high energy ignition. What the hell is this suppost to do.

That's very interesting. It should not run without that. See if you see another one back there. If not see what type of Distributor is back there.

just an ignition module...like an MSD box for a car

just the module part - but heres the set...its most likely a factory ignition box that was replaced and thats the old junk one laying in the back of the boat

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380251946722&crlp=1_263602_263622&ff4=263602_263622&viewitem=&guid=a839186f1290a0e20317d127fdd3d0ee&rvr_id=125181285902&ua=WVF%3F&itemid=380251946722

HOLY SHIT thats expensive. :eek:

There is a stall switch on the shift linkage on the motor. This may be causing the problem if not properly adjusted. The stall switch is designed to stall the engine for a brief second while the outdrive is going in or out of gear. This is special to the Alpha 1 drives.

This is likely your issue. This needs adjusted every so often - it's pretty easy to do (I did mine several years ago).

Those two top bars (on the lower right hand side of the picture, the longer ones that are attached to your throttle control and shift shaft), there are adjustment bolts on them. You likely won't have to adjust it much.

Before adjusting, make sure your shift interrupter switch is mounted down securely, and not sticking, as that could also be the issue.