A few Audi R8 Pics

BradyPPC

We had a customer swing up today to have a few dyno pulls done in his R8. The car was just recently shipped back from California after getting upfitted with a Heffner Twin Turbo kit. The car was baselined in California on a Mustang dyno and made 344hp. With the 6 lb turbo kit installed, power was just under 500 hp on our Mustang dyno.

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii353/brady/Audi/2009%20R8/201009161615411.jpg

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii353/brady/Audi/2009%20R8/DSC00033.jpg

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii353/brady/Audi/2009%20R8/DSC00030.jpg

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii353/brady/Audi/2009%20R8/DSC00035.jpg

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii353/brady/Audi/2009%20R8/DSC00034.jpg

Pretty cool car and made my afternoon a lot of fun! We didnt do any work on the car other than the dyno pulls but I thought a few guys on here might enjoy the pics.

• 4 weeks later...

What turbos does Heffner use? I assume the engine is pretty high compression but sub 500rwhp even on 6psi is pretty...well...weak.

No dig on PPC as they just put it on the dyno but just wondering why the power seems so low?

Just checked Heffner's site and they only show 536rwhp so I guess that is in the ball-park. I know the R8 isn't really about straight-line performance but the "Bang-for-the-Buck" of this car reminds me of the NSX.

Jeff

It gains almost 200awhp from the turbo kit on only 6 psi, I think it's pretty good, that's almost a 50% increase. That's just on the V8 (which is 12.5 compression), I wonder what the V10 will do. They have the Murcielago putting down 1100rwhp on ~15psi, so I'm guessing the R8 V10 will be around 900awhp.

Just saw that they have a 100oct tune in the works that's suppose to be over 600hp and run the quarter in the 10s.

This is the best shot I've seen of the turbos, no idea what size they are.

http://www.motoringexposure.com/wp-content/gallery/heffner-audi-r8/heffner-audi-r8-twin-turbo-5.jpghttp://www.motoringexposure.com/wp-content/gallery/heffner-audi-r8/heffner-audi-r8-twin-turbo-5.jpg[/img]

Edited by kickass

It gains almost 200awhp from the turbo kit on only 6 psi, I think it's pretty good, that's almost a 50% increase.

I guess 500whp just doesn't "Wow" me at all for the investment (Which I can only guess what Heffner wants for the kit). Car is unique for sure but it would suck to get rolled by a cam-only C6Z lol. If that wasn't my concern (Actually driving the car) then I would have just bought a used Gallardo and put set of HRE's on it and called it a day. Just my 2 cents...

Jeff

I guess 500whp just doesn't "Wow" me at all for the investment (Which I can only guess what Heffner wants for the kit). Car is unique for sure but it would suck to get rolled by a cam-only C6Z lol. If that wasn't my concern (Actually driving the car) then I would have just bought a used Gallardo and put set of HRE's on it and called it a day. Just my 2 cents...

Jeff

Obviously this individual could afford several C6's or a C6 Z06, but he probably wanted an R8, and later decided to have a 500awhp R8. Not everybody cares about rolling somebody on the freeway, but rather wants whatever they want.

LSX FANBOI

:p

Just saw that they have a 100oct tune in the works that's suppose to be over 600hp and run the quarter in the 10s.

This is the best shot I've seen of the turbos, no idea what size they are.

Big enough, that looks intense. Drove a B7 RS4 today at work (share same V8 engine) and that seemed fun enough without any boost, I could only imagine twice the power.:eek:

I am not really liking the exhaust design. Probably could free up some more power with a crossover design vs. the 180 degree turns. I am a little dissappointed with the power output though. Probably still a lot of fun to drive though!

You guys do know that the R8 is only a 4.2L right? It's not a 10L american car making 300hp.

R8 = 4.2L creating 420hp

Z06 = 7.0L creating 505hp

Z06 is under powered to begin with, should be making 700hp

I bet that LS7 is physically smaller in dimensions (where it really matters for packaging), and weighs less than that 4.2L. Why does displacement matter on a street car?

There is a black on black R8 V10 rag top parked in front of my neighbor's house right now...looks AMAZING. This TT car looks great excluding the wing.

I am not so impresses by power per liter. I know many evo's making 600+ on 2.0 ltrs. So let's talk about that, less than half of the size making more power. Currenlty there is one on stock block making about 600, so not even about a built motor. My point is for cost and what it is,I was thinking somewhere in the 6xx hp range. Size of the engine doesn't mean a whole lot in todays world.

I bet that LS7 is physically smaller in dimensions (where it really matters for packaging), and weighs less than that 4.2L. Why does displacement matter on a street car?

The Audi 4.2 weights 467lbs, the ls7 weights 458lbs. I'm not sure if your right about the dimensions, I've seen that audi block sitting in a garage before and I thought it was a V6. I bet the Audi is taller but it's much shorter. One is good for low center of gravity, the other is better for interior room. Displacement matters because of fuel economy, and why use a 5L engine if you can get the same out of a 3L?

I am not so impresses by power per liter. I know many evo's making 600+ on 2.0 ltrs. So let's talk about that, less than half of the size making more power. Currenlty there is one on stock block making about 600, so not even about a built motor. My point is for cost and what it is,I was thinking somewhere in the 6xx hp range. Size of the engine doesn't mean a whole lot in todays world.

Well you can't go by hp/L when there is a turbo involved, that just doesn't work.

The other thing is, the Audi is AWD, it has about 25% drivetrain loss, where the z06 has about 12%. So if it was a 2WD car it would be well into the 600whp range.

I'm just glad they finally decided to put the V10 in the R8, 420hp is weak for a car as badass looking as that.