In this thread you will talk to me about...

Dr. Pomade

Sounds like - based on the feedback thus far - the V8 Audi will be easier to maintain than the TT BMW? Bonus points for that.

Jones - I'm planning on leaving it completely stock, no mods whatsoever. So I'm not so much concerned about modability.

Ben - good point on seeing more BMWs versus Audis, and that matters to me with respect to this car.

Andy - great write up: thanks for taking the time to do that.

Price comparison: Audi vs BMW vs Porsche vs Benz? And which is most worth the money?

At this point, for me, it's going Audi > BMW (but just slightly) > Porsche > Benz.

If, however, there's too much price difference, then that could affect ratings.

Also, Putty, the GTR is somewhere on my list, though I'm thinking it will be in the mix come next spring when I start thinking about "fun" cars (e.g., Z06 vs GTR).

If you plan to leave it stock (or even lightly modded) I would go 335i ALL DAY! It is the only one with a complete service plan so you won't pay a DIME to maintain it until it's out of warranty. You can rape the car and other than tires and gas it won't cost you a penny.

My wife has a 328i and the car has been perfect. With snow tires we had ZERO trouble in Ohio winters so the 335xi would be bonus. The Audi would be fun but god help you if you start having warranty issues. Then again, there is a reason you see more 335's than S5's....they work for a fun DD!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still sinlge?

For you this is a No Brain-er.

997 or GT2. Fits all your requirements and can be as fats as you need it to be.

For less-

M3

650i or M6 (be surprised how cheap they are)

335i (coupe)

If you want to up your budget-

GTR

In that order.

JP, nope, no longer single, boss.

So you'd go BMW > Audi?

If you plan to leave it stock (or even lightly modded) I would go 335i ALL DAY! It is the only one with a complete service plan so you won't pay a DIME to maintain it until it's out of warranty. You can rape the car and other than tires and gas it won't cost you a penny.

My wife has a 328i and the car has been perfect. With snow tires we had ZERO trouble in Ohio winters so the 335xi would be bonus. The Audi would be fun but god help you if you start having warranty issues. Then again, there is a reason you see more 335's than S5's....they work for a fun DD!

Wait, does Audi's warranty suck or something?

Wait, does Audi's warranty suck or something?

last I checked both BMW and Audi were 4 years 50k miles.

BMW hypes up the fact that they'll cover everything including brakes that the car "needs" under the warranty period. But it's all subjective to proving the car "needs" something. For instance they will only do oil changes every 15k miles because they've deemed they don't need to do them more often. If you care about the car and want to keep it after the warranty period is up you'll change at a more reasonable period and pay out of pocket for it. I will give them the fact that they've replaced brakes on a couple cars for my buddies, but I bet it's really rare that they need to do so. My friend used to work as a service writer for Kelly and said I'd be amazed with how many cars they end up replacing stuck lifters and top end components in because they're all mucked up from people who actually follow the 15k oil change intervals.

I'm all debbie downer on the BMW today...completely out of character for me but since it sounds like you've ruled out the M3 I'd totaly go S5 before I went 335.

Andy

JP, nope, no longer single, boss.

So you'd go BMW > Audi?

Yes, any day of the fucking week if you have any concerns of reliability. With a new car It's king of a wash, but there is a reason you see a ton of older 3 series cars on the road many with 3ook or more miles-and here nothing but horror stories about similar year A4's, Jettas...ect.

BMW hypes up the fact that they'll cover everything including brakes that the car "needs" under the warranty period. But it's all subjective to proving the car "needs" something. For instance they will only do oil changes every 15k miles because they've deemed they don't need to do them more often. If you care about the car and want to keep it after the warranty period is up you'll change at a more reasonable period and pay out of pocket for it. I will give them the fact that they've replaced brakes on a couple cars for my buddies, but I bet it's really rare that they need to do so. My friend used to work as a service writer for Kelly and said I'd be amazed with how many cars they end up replacing stuck lifters and top end components in because they're all mucked up from people who actually follow the 15k oil change intervals.

I'm all debbie downer on the BMW today...completely out of character for me but since it sounds like you've ruled out the M3 I'd totaly go S5 before I went 335.

Andy

Andy, so what about maintenance and the Porsche you were discussing earlier? More or less of a hassle than BMW? Also, how about the costs associated with both?

Yes, any day of the fucking week if you have any concerns of reliability. With a new car It's king of a wash, but there is a reason you see a ton of older 3 series cars on the road many with 3ook or more miles-and here nothing but horror stories about similar year A4's, Jettas...ect.

Yeah, reliability is probably more important to me at this point than performance or even aesthetics. I'll likely buy slightly used (or new) and plan to keep it for several years. So, I'll need it to last, and I don't want to have to worry about the thing falling apart three days after it's out of warranty.

For me, right now: Reliability/maintenance > Aesthetics > Performance

there is a reason you see a ton of older 3 series cars on the road many with 3ook or more miles-and here nothing but horror stories about similar year A4's, Jettas...ect.

You don't think sales numbers have anything to do with it? I see a ton more B5 A4's than I see e36 3-series. They both have their problems just like any car. Audi or BMW, both awesome cars.

If you want an AWD car, quattro > xdrive.

Andy, so what about maintenance and the Porsche you were discussing earlier? More or less of a hassle than BMW? Also, how about the costs associated with both?

So with the BMW you'll get 3 oil changes, 1 cabin filter and a basic inspection otherwise for free while it's still under the factory warranty period. Maybe brakes if you're hard on them.

Otherwise I"d assume ownership costs between the Audi, Porsche and BMW would be pretty close. The Porsche will probably be the more expensive to "maintain" by just a little bit but when we had ours I wasn't really ever alarmed by how expensive parts were. Matter of fact I think brake rotors for my Porsche were cheaper than brake rotors for my M3. The porsche does hold 10 quarts of oil though...the Audi and BMW around 6 so I suppose each oil change in the 911 is gonna be $40 more just from oil costs alone.

Maybe someone with a newer Audi (jones) could chime in to back up the Audi costs because if you ask everyone but me Audi's are a maintenance nightmare when they get old. My A4 has nearly 200k miles on it now and it NEVER breaks....I can count the number of times on one hand that it's cost me more than $200 to fix something on it in my 8+ years of ownership. Sure it's a little old and worn and leaks a little bit but it's f'ing 11 years old and high mileage. I just accept it for what it is.

Like I siad...unless you're talking benz I don't think you're going to see HUGE differences in maintenance costs for any of the other cars you're looking at.

For what you're describing (and in that price range), the S5 is tough to beat. Clients won't give it a second look in a parking lot and think they're over paying you. They're rare enough that you won't see yourself everyday. And they 'drive' really well. That would be my recommendation. 3 series are played out and mostly driven my women. And modded ones are still slow.

I will still say though for a quiet, reliable, great daily driver, I LOVE my CTSV. I ran a 10.98 on DR's in the mid 120's a couple weeks ago. Wife thinks its bone stock. I wanted the fastest automatic 4 door I could buy (without having to go crazy with unreliable mods), and IMHO nothing can touch a V. Plus I debadged it and nobody gives it a second look.

Although I don't recommend an "enthusiast" try to compromise and buy a single 12 month car that does everything well, you still may want to think about a GTR. They run low/mid 10's in the mid 130's with just simple bolt-ons, can scare you (and your instructor) at Mid-Ohio, and you can really drive it everyday without any headaches. But then again, you'll want to continue making it faster, and then the DD aspect starts to become more of an issue (i.e. too nice to drive everyday, etc.)....

Regardless, car shopping is fun....let us know what you decide!

So with the BMW you'll get 3 oil changes, 1 cabin filter and a basic inspection otherwise for free while it's still under the factory warranty period. Maybe brakes if you're hard on them.

Otherwise I"d assume ownership costs between the Audi, Porsche and BMW would be pretty close. The Porsche will probably be the more expensive to "maintain" by just a little bit but when we had ours I wasn't really ever alarmed by how expensive parts were. Matter of fact I think brake rotors for my Porsche were cheaper than brake rotors for my M3. The porsche does hold 10 quarts of oil though...the Audi and BMW around 6 so I suppose each oil change in the 911 is gonna be $40 more just from oil costs alone.

Maybe someone with a newer Audi (jones) could chime in to back up the Audi costs because if you ask everyone but me Audi's are a maintenance nightmare when they get old. My A4 has nearly 200k miles on it now and it NEVER breaks....I can count the number of times on one hand that it's cost me more than $200 to fix something on it in my 8+ years of ownership. Sure it's a little old and worn and leaks a little bit but it's f'ing 11 years old and high mileage. I just accept it for what it is.

Like I siad...unless you're talking benz I don't think you're going to see HUGE differences in maintenance costs for any of the other cars you're looking at.

I think alot of the old VW/Audi stigma stems from the 80's still. My A4 has been FLAWLESS (knock on wood) Closing in on 100K very VERY hard miles of being modded (currently stage2+) and flogged on daily. Burns no oil, and has never had a single reliability issue. I could of taken care of everything they've done under warranty in the past few years for maybe $500.

The 4.2 in the S5 a very reliable platform. Keep the oil changed @ 5K with 0W40 of other good oil of choice, and you'll be rewarded with great reliability.

You'll want a new car before you run into any issues.

If I was in your shoes, I'd be picking from the following:

* S5

* 335XI

Porsche is the obvious choice, but if you want a bit of subtle in your step, I'd go S5. I see about 300 335's a week since BMW financial starting giving them to their employees for 99 cents a paycheck.

Part of me says I'd wait for the 2012 S5, so I could get the 3.0T. Intake/Flash/Exhaust nets 380~AWHP and low 12's in SEDAN(S4) form with the 7 speed DSG. You have virtually no worthwhile mods on the 4.2.

Go drive them all, except maybe the Porsche, everything else will suck then. ;)

If you're going 335i, the consensus is to find an N54-powered car over the N55. Now I'm sure the keyboard warriors will get in a huff over this. But http://www.burgertuning.com/; the best tuner for these cars is still holding onto the fact that N54 was more conservatively rated than the N55 and will make more power (stock, or otherwise).

Honestly, if he get an Audi, I would highly suggest he buys the Audi Care. It usually covers the maintenance costs after the first/second one.

Lexus ISF

http://image.superstreetonline.com/f/17392230/130_0902_04_z+2009_lexus_is_f+front_view.jpg

I hereby co-sign the aformentioned suggestion.

Go drive one of those things, you'll never want to get out :). Best part is, of course, Toyota dependability.

Andy

It's 1-year or 15k-miles whichever comes first and if you talk to your service tech you can get it done before that.

Right now they are running a special until Jan 3, 2011....if you get a CPO car the warranty/service plan is good for 6-years or 100K miles. http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/CPO/Warranty/Covered.aspx There is a $50 charge per visit after the factory 4/50k runs out but it's still cheap for what is covered if people are worried.

....and you are right you can't go wrong with either. Both BMW/Audi will be great and if you take care of them they will last a LONG time. Personally I've had great results with BMW and would buy another new one any day. Like anything German they are more expensive, just depends what you want...

If you want a cheap DD buy an Acura!