Lets talk Engagement Rings

Rustlestiltskin

I delt with Alec at Farah Jewlers. They are in both Polaris and Tuttle. The fiance pretty much had Tacori at the top of her hint hint list, and she got exactly what she wanted.

Been a great experience through them so far. Had one of the tiny tiny rocks fall out, and he had it sent back to Cali where they installed a new one since what he had in stock didnt quite match the color just right.

...and the rings' nothin. Have fun with the Flowers/cake/music/venue/food/dresses/ect/ect/ect/ect/ect/ect/ect

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Step 1: Go to Jared and talk to them, they're actually really helpful

Step 2: Buy a diamond and a setting, not a whole ring off the shelf

Step 3: ????

Step 4: Divorce

Step 5: Profit

I've gotten 4 or 5 higher end pieces from Jared and have never had a single problem with the sales tactics or the product. I actually buy their warranty too, it got us a new stone, at no cost, when the main ruby fell out of my wife's necklace. If you ever feel uncomfortable with the people/place you're working with, leave. Most places are willing to work with you to find what you want and need. My best experiences have been with Jared.

+1, I'm still trying to find out why I spent $20k on a single day.

Let me clear this up for you.

She's been planning this since she was 4 years old. The perfect day, the perfect man, the perfect dress, the perfect tux, the perfect hair, the perfect make-up, the perfect limo, the perfect church, the perfect vows, the perfect flowers, the perfect ring, the perfect pictures, the perfect reception venue, the perfect dinner, the perfect first dance, the perfect exit, the perfect honeymoon...........

In summary: So your friends can get absolutely hammered on your dime!

:p

When it comes to engagement rings the best is to buy a loose stone then have it mounted (this makes inspection of the stone possible in all aspects). Looks like you already found that out. My best piece of advice is the get someone that is very knowledgeable about identifying stones and take them to that jewelry show that comes through columbus. I had a friend of mine by a 2.5 carat princess cut stone with that way classified as a very very high quality stone for $400. Then bought a simple band and mounted it tiffanys style. Took it to the Diamond Cellar to get it appraised and it was valued at $15.5k. He spent $1,000 total.

Basically learn about stones or hire someone that does to help you find a stone not in a jewelry store, because honestly they are some of the worst crooks lol. I know this cause my friends dad owns the Diamond Cellar.

She's been planning this since she was 4 years old. The perfect day, the perfect man, the perfect dress, the perfect tux, the perfect hair, the perfect make-up, the perfect limo, the perfect church, the perfect vows, the perfect flowers, the perfect ring, the perfect pictures, the perfect reception venue, the perfect dinner, the perfect first dance, the perfect exit, the perfect honeymoon...........

That made sense until that last part. The place we had the reception was dry. I wasn't unhappy with that considering it saved me another $5k on booze. All things considered, especially now that I can remember things by looking at pics, the venue was worth not being able to drink.

And that day arrives and nothing is perfect, you then hold it over her head for making you spend that kind of cash and STILL complain. divorce. profit.

Basically learn about stones or hire someone that does to help you find a stone not in a jewelry store, because honestly they are some of the worst crooks lol. I know this cause my friends dad owns the Diamond Cellar.

:wtf: I've known Andy Johnson for years and he's a stand up guy. Diamond Cellar is a good place.

I'll 2nd or 3rd buying a stone and then getting a band, either custom done or off the shelf.

I bought the center diamond from online, bluenile.com maybe? I dnno its been years.

Then we went together to Meyers Jewelers on Stringtown road and custom design a setting/band/etc. There are 4 smaller diamonds on either side and it kind of builds up to the larger center stone so that it doesn't catch on anything, etc. No issues, they were great, prices were great, and it's a very nice ring. It appraised much higher than what I had in it and like said above, Meyers does the trade up thing as well if I ever want to upgrade.

My .02.....

:wtf: I've known Andy Johnson for years and he's a stand up guy. Diamond Cellar is a good place.

No no I don't know why I didn't finish that statement. Lol

DIAMOND CELLAR IS A GREAT PLACE TO SHOP FOR QUALITY AND GREAT PRICE.

It is the only store I would/have purchased from.

Sorry Tim, idk why I forgot the add that.

No no I don't know why I didn't finish that statement. Lol

DIAMOND CELLAR IS A GREAT PLACE TO SHOP FOR QUALITY AND GREAT PRICE.

It is the only store I would/have purchased from.

Sorry Tim, idk why I forgot the add that.

Oh snap... Dont think I'm going to diamond cellar now. lol

When it comes to engagement rings the best is to buy a loose stone then have it mounted (this makes inspection of the stone possible in all aspects). Looks like you already found that out. My best piece of advice is the get someone that is very knowledgeable about identifying stones and take them to that jewelry show that comes through columbus. I had a friend of mine by a 2.5 carat princess cut stone with that way classified as a very very high quality stone for $400. Then bought a simple band and mounted it tiffanys style. Took it to the Diamond Cellar to get it appraised and it was valued at $15.5k. He spent $1,000 total.

Whats the name of this jewelry show that comes through columbus so that I can go to it when it arrives? Also, Do you have anybody in mind that could help me look at diamonds?

Do this. This is what I did, 4 separate appraisers have the ring in the $8k range and I spent a little under $1000 total.

That made sense until that last part. The place we had the reception was dry. I wasn't unhappy with that considering it saved me another $5k on booze. All things considered, especially now that I can remember things by looking at pics, the venue was worth not being able to drink.

Can I talk to you about quoting you for my photography business:-) Wish more people would believe us when we tell people it all goes by so fast you'll want good photos in a high quality album to keep the memories.

I have had good luck at Jared.

Take a look at the dimensions too. I compared 2, 1 carat dimonds side by side. One was cut shallow and looked like a 1.5 carrat, and one was cut too deep, and looked like a .75.

There is more to diamonds than meets the eye.

ok so I just finished buying my girlfriends engagement ring... I got a 2.05 ct. Solitaire round diamond for her from my guy in Quebec and I'm dead serious about this. I didn't have to pay sales tax on it and with the Canadian Dollar cheaper than the dollar I saved more on the conversion. I would suggest hitting him up PM if you want his number only problem is you'd have to go to Quebec or take their word for the quality. I spent a lot on mine but I'm sure you've looked at the prices of rings.

Can I talk to you about quoting you for my photography business:-) Wish more people would believe us when we tell people it all goes by so fast you'll want good photos in a high quality album to keep the memories.

Yeah, go ahead. I didn't believe anyone when they told me it goes by in the blink of an eye. I'm really happy I shelled out for GOOD photography and a sweet book.

REMEMBER: The ring you purchase will depreciate at a much larger percentage than a car when you take it off of the property. You can always "up" the ring at an anniversary, but you will lose your ass on a monster rock if things don't happen work out. I'm not being negative, just pragmatic.

WTF are you talking about? Diamonds do NOT depreciate worse than a car.....

I recommend going to the Diamond Cellar on Sawmill @ 161.

Tell them what you want, and how much you can spend, and they will get you the very best you can afford.

I got the Misses Ring there and I NEVER felt like was playing outta my league. They will show the differences in the cuts, sizes, color and clarity. Pick which you want that fits your budget, and BAM! You have a Ring :D

:thumbup:

KillJoy

Those guys were COMPLETE assholes to us. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

I got mine on sale from Rogers. I still have not found anything from any store that compared in cut/weight/clarity for the price.

And no offense, but I would never buy something like this over the net. If you care about the "meaning", I would hope that the significant of what the fuck you were getting into warranted you at least acting like a man' putting the ring in your hands, really looking at it- and saying "this is the one".

I think there is something to be said about that. I think goofs that buy it over the net, or take the girl to "pick one out" are just trying to appease the monster, or are to focused on the "it" to really consider just what IT entails.

May sound like an old man, but I'm by no means old school. ;)