"New" beater

Otis Nice

Picked this up off a buddy 2 weeks ago. 1997 Sport, Magnum V6, 197K on the ODO (Now 198K). The best part? The $750 price tag. She runs like a champ. The body is by far the worst part. Paint sucks (as is usual on these) and there's a nice dent behind the driver side door and a smaller one on the tailgate. Body work and paint will come next year some time. Dual cat backs with Flowmaster 40 series sounds...alright (Dual FM40 on a V6? Meh...). Everything seen was done before I got it except it didn't have a drivers side mirror. $16 bucks at the junk yard and 5 minutes of my time took care of that.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs736.ash1/162927_173557976001299_100000412925888_468486_3516831_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs570.ash2/149208_173558006001296_100000412925888_468487_360938_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs603.ash2/155573_173558059334624_100000412925888_468488_7987397_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1166.snc4/150852_173558106001286_100000412925888_468489_7842856_n.jpg

Not bad for a beater truck.

EDIT: Also hit a deer the day I got it on my way home from Groveport. Didn't do any more damage than was already done. :p I missed having a truck.

You paid too much.

Thanks! :)

Let me give you some back story...not that you care. Haha.

- Terrible credit I ruined when I was younger? $1 Kajillion

- 2 VW 1.8t's (MKIV Jetta and B5 Passat) after purchase, maintenance, and fixing every little sporatic problem that hits weekly? $2 Kajillion

- Full coverage on both VW's due to loans? $160 +/- per month

- Early payoff on B5 which has sat more than it's ran correctly in the 2+ years I've had it, sell for whatever, apply towards full repairs on MKIV and body work on Dakota, have 1 less payment and 1 less vehicle on insurance, no payment on truck, one step closer to financial freedom and the ability to hit a deer at 45 and keep driving with no further damage? Pricless.

NADA has this truck at $2K plus as does KBB. It didn't give me the option to choose "poor" for the condition and this truck is beat to hell and back and I know this truck isn't worth near $2K+. I also didn't count on the hitch as a "tow pacakge" and the "grill guard" my truck has when looking them up b/c...well, they don't add value. $750 seems pretty good to me.

One mans trash is anothers treasure. ;)

Get a can of penetrol and wipe it down. Will make it look somewhat better for awhile.

Really? I may have to do this. I mean, I don't really care too much. $750 isn't enough to get me all worried. I'll get the body and bumpers redone just to prevent further rust/decay but I really just need something simple, reliable, and running day to day. I'm too poor to make VW's do that. :)

Needs less low.

100% agree. I miss my lifted XJ but it was in way better shape, 4x4 4.0, and worth spending money on a full lift (you can't body lift an XJ anyways). This MAY get a BL down the road, but as I said, I'm not sure I'll put TOO much into it. Only time will tell. :)

A good solid cleaning inside and out, buff up what you can on the outside as best can be done, repaint the bad portions and call it a day. So long as it runs good and for me, the interior is clean and good, it's completely worth $750.

anything with a bed and runs is worth $1k.

Primer the whole truck to cover up and prevent any more rust.

rock that shit and dont give a fuck.......priceless

+1

Nice buy dude. Don't lift it though, it's not a 4x4, nor would it even be worth the extra money lol

Hahaha, I was gonna say needs more low, but then again it is for winter. I'd still rock it, but dump the FM's.

FM's? Learn me.

A good solid cleaning inside and out, buff up what you can on the outside as best can be done, repaint the bad portions and call it a day. So long as it runs good and for me, the interior is clean and good, it's completely worth $750.

Interior is in good shape. Dirty carpet but no tears and nothing missing.

anything with a bed and runs is worth $1k.

Primer the whole truck to cover up and prevent any more rust.

rock that shit and dont give a fuck.......priceless

I may just do black primer and call it a day. Was gonna get a flat or matte black paint job anyways. The best part is just not caring. It's been awhile since I've been able to do this with a DD/beater. :)

+1

Nice buy dude. Don't lift it though, it's not a 4x4, nor would it even be worth the extra money lol

Thanks. I won't lift it. If it was the 4x4 V8 it'd be different but I have that same mindest. I just need to prevent further rust. Front bumber is already rusted through on the drivers side a bit.