CPD ride along

evan9381

so, today, i did a ride along with my CPD buddy/neighbor...was awesome..even if it was a "slow" day according to him, i had a blast. among a few of the things i got to watch (in order as best i can remember)

-traffic stop for failure to signal. guy ended up not having his license but checked out.

-thought he saw a guy pissing on the side of UDF, but guy said he was trying to talk to his buddy who lived across the alley. who knows

-bum taking a piss across from the Y

-had a call where someone reported a guy selling some weed...so we went and were standing at the bus stop at broad/high for a few, and some random kid (20 y/o) on his phone just po-leece this, po-leece that...ended up getting chatted to for a few minutes after spitting on the sidewalk...something super minor, but apparently its like a $35 offense in columbus. he didnt get anything for it though...but the kid really wanted to put on a show for everyone else at the bus stop. just wouldnt stop...

-we were sitting at a light and our light turned green, and a guy coming from our right blew a red light...it wasnt even orange...we watched the video and he wasnt even close...our light turned green, then he blew right thru it...directly after that,

-woman called in about a man with a gun, i had to sit in the car but turned out he didnt have a gun...description she gave was close to that of guy selling weed earlier...another couple cops got there before us and i guess the guy got put on the ground, but didnt have anything...after the others left, one of the bus drivers had my buddy pull some guy off the bus

-hit and run, minor bump to someones car, nothing serious

‎-highlight of the night was coming off a side street, saw a car to the right with no headlights on (at like 10pm), pulled out in front of them, he let them pass, and then pulled them over...when we went up, i smelled weed VERY strong on the passenger side, who had his window open, but oddly my buddy didnt smell it...i said something about it in the car because i thought he smelled it, and he went back to the passenger side to get the registration and check, and came back and said "oh yeah"...he ended up asking for a car to come up to watch the 3 kids while he searched the car, and 5 ended up showing up...i guess they didnt hear the "its not a 57" or whatever the code was for "shits about to go down". lol. kids had a couple roaches and some paraphernalia...said he was going to try to eat the roach before they stopped...haha. seemed like they were scared shitless...then again, i would be too.

i learned a few things, found out some stuff i thought i knew about i was way off. it was a good time though...gonna try to head back out in a couple months, he said it gets better once its warm out and people arent holed up inside.

definitely makes me a bit more interested in police work though. i could see myself enjoying it.

i smelled weed VERY strong on the passenger side, who had his window open, but oddly my buddy didnt smell it...

LOL - He smelled it, he just didn't want to do anything about it. Teh Ganja is basically legal in Columbus (unless your trafficking: I.E. distribution to/from other states). Never forget a story a buddy of mine used to tell years ago. I guess he was getting booked for something downtown and they (CPD) went to pat him down: upon feeling his pipe/bag the cop quipped "I didn't just feel that did I?" and let him keep it with out searching his pockets - CPD cops kick-ass.

lol...hopefully i didnt piss him off by smelling it and saying something, then him thinking he had to do something about it...one of the other cops that came up said if i wanted, i could go search the car with him, but a) i wasnt sure if he was serious, even after i asked if i was allowed to do that just being a ride along, and b) i think that'd be a bit wierd if i saw just a person riding along tossing my car.

lol...hopefully i didnt piss him off by smelling it and saying something, then him thinking he had to do something about it...

I doubt you pissed him off, just once you said something he knew he had to uphold the law or w/e. Do you know if they issued them tickets or just gave a warning?

said he was going to try to eat the roach before they stopped...haha.

I did that once back in HS, ended up getting arrested for something else anyways lol..Had a nice lil buzz going on once I got to headquarters :lol:

Sounds like fun. Did you get to do anything else besides sit in the passenger's seat? What area of town were you in?

I had the opportunity to do a ride along a few years ago but never did. The CPD officer i knew said, "yeah i had a buddy ride along a while back we let him help us apprehend someone" WTF?! Im sure he was just fucking around though.

most of the time spent was in the car, but on the stops he said if i wanted i could hop out and walk up, but to stay on the passenger side of the car back near the rear...i wasnt like up on his side during the stops. we hopped out and were around the bus stop for 10 min or so.

his area is mainly short north, high st from goodale to 3rd ave, but we were out in a couple other areas just outside that...i think he said he has part of 670/71/315 as well

Yea CPD cops seem lenient on weed, but that's just the fact of Ohio state laws on the stuff. When people got busted for underage drinking during a party I had before a football game, the cops said "If anyone has anything they don't want us to find, give it to a friend now".

no offense here, but im surprised cpd lets civilian ride alongs get out of the car on traffic stops or any calls for service. God forbid something happens to you, while you are under the officers care, ugh i couldnt even imagine that scenario. i am glad you enjoyed your ride, sounds like you picked up on some thing you liked. you already know this, but cpd is alot different from any of the suburb police departments, whitehall included. good luck with your test. have you been through the academy yet, or are you trying to get hired first?

tom

no offense here, but im surprised cpd lets civilian ride alongs get out of the car on traffic stops or any calls for service. God forbid something happens to you, while you are under the officers care, ugh i couldnt even imagine that scenario. i am glad you enjoyed your ride, sounds like you picked up on some thing you liked. you already know this, but cpd is alot different from any of the suburb police departments, whitehall included. good luck with your test. have you been through the academy yet, or are you trying to get hired first?

tom

Tom,

How many ride a-longs have you been on?

Kinda what i thought too, but like at the start/end of shift, i wouldnt have been able to carry in the substation, if we had to go into a bar, i couldnt have followed in, etc.

I understand your POV but i think they see it as already being somewhat of a risk having a ride along, do they really want to add to it?

I understand both points of view. I have always wanted to do a ride along, but I will most likely never get than chance as I don't think I am willing to forfeit my right to defend myself. Some may think that is stupid since you are with an LEO but as we have all seen, LEO's are far from immortal and I don't want to be caught in a situation that goes wrong and have no means to defend myself.

Glad the OP was able to experience this and have a good/educational experience.