People in sales - have a question for you

Nitrousbird

I've recently began managing a small group that is considered to be in a sales-type position along with my other group of direct reports. This group has a base salary, but 60-80% of their pay is commission. I’ve never been in sales nor have ever managed anyone with a commission-based pay, so I don’t know the normal pay standards for a sales person.

My question is - what is considered normal pay protocol for vacation and sick time for a sales position? . Is vacation paid based on your base salary, or paid based on your salary + average sales? How about paid sick time? Or is it done a totally different way?

We do Base+ Commissions as well. When you take a Vacation or a Sick Day you get the base for that day only. The companies reasoning is you're not selling anything that day, we're not gonna give you the extra pay. It used to be Base plus average till they figured out people were actually doing work a few weeks leading up to time off to bump it up. I get 3 weeks Vacation and 10 Sick Days but I rarely use them in a row. Just for that reason. Plus I don't wanna miss a possible sale.

I've recently began managing a small group that is considered to be in a sales-type position along with my other group of direct reports. This group has a base salary, but 60-80% of their pay is commission. I’ve never been in sales nor have ever managed anyone with a commission-based pay, so I don’t know the normal pay standards for a sales person.

My question is - what is considered normal pay protocol for vacation and sick time for a sales position? . Is vacation paid based on your base salary, or paid based on your salary + average sales? How about paid sick time? Or is it done a totally different way?

Depends on the gig. My teams have always signed a commission agreement of some type. How about yours?

Our teams are paid commissions one month in rears and continue to accumulate commissions and base even when on vacation or sick time. We allow 20 days total PTO (personal time off) per year. Sick or vacation, makes no difference.

When I worked as a service adviser in the car dealership market, I was paid a base salary plus a commission. My vacation was based on a % of my yearly total sales from the previous years, so there was an incentive to sell the best one could.

Chuck

Edited by CHERRY

So it looks like it is split, depending on the business. Thanks for the input guys.

Yep, depends on the market segment for the job. Higher end jobs always give paid vacations/PTO. I don't know any that don't pay out commissions unless you're on FMLA or something.

Every sales job i have been in was either full commission, base+commission or draw/commission.

The only time i was ever paid vacation was when i was base+commission.

Sales, you do not call in sick. You work your tail off 5-6 days a week 8-12 hours a day. You can take vacation when you have put in your time and move up to management. Still even then when i was in management i never took vacation or sick time.

you take time off, you lose out on sales. A real salesman hates missing a sale.

Every sales job i have been in was either full commission, base+commission or draw/commission.

The only time i was ever paid vacation was when i was base+commission.

Sales, you do not call in sick. You work your tail off 5-6 days a week 8-12 hours a day. You can take vacation when you have put in your time and move up to management. Still even then when i was in management i never took vacation or sick time.

you take time off, you lose out on sales. A real salesman hates missing a sale.

are you in pressure sales?