If your home is broken into....

Putty

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As it has been said, a good defense is a better offense. Personally, I don't enjoy someone working their way towards me in my own dwelling. Sitting back and waiting sure as hell isn't an option to me. Back an intruder into a corner, not yourself.

Easy for an infantryman to do, not Joe Schmoe.

Also, we've all heard about animals backed into a corner and how they react. No thanks. I'll stick to my plan until I receive my military training.

Easy for an infantryman to do, not Joe Schmoe.

Also, we've all heard about animals backed into a corner and how they react. No thanks. I'll stick to my plan until I receive my military training.

Your house, your terms. Knowing the layout is your best chance of survival. Personally, waiting around just isn't a viable option for me. I have a fatal funnel in my apartment, which would serve its purpose if someone were to come in unannounced.

Your house, your terms. Knowing the layout is your best chance of survival. Personally, waiting around just isn't a viable option for me. I have a fatal funnel in my apartment, which would serve its purpose if someone were to come in unannounced.

I have one too. It would result in my death depending on where the were when I entered it. In this house, I have to stay put.

A few notes of a lecture from the Sgt of Gahanna swat team went over at our Krav Maga spring camp regarding home break-ins/home intruders.....

A few facts and stats:

-1 in 5 homes will experience a break in in the US.

-47% of home break ins will produce physical injuries to homeowners.

-38% of all reported assaults and 60% of all reported rapes occur during home invasions.

-8,000 home invasions occur per day in N. America, that’s 3,600,000 a year.

-30% are “no force” entries…they come in through unlocked doors

-50% of the time a weapon is used, most common is an edged weapon

This epidemic is under reported because nationally the vast majority of law enforcement entities don’t track home invasions as a separate crime. Most agencies statistically list home invasions as burglaries, rapes or robberies.

Burglars are more apt to break into a home during a week day when nobody is expected to be home. They are looking to steal property as quickly and quietly as possible. As banks and convenience stores become harder targets (security cameras, safes, etc) drug addicts and other criminals in need of money are striking softer targets like homes.

What can we do?

- Don’t “show off” what you have. Don’t park your Porsche in the driveway, don’t have your big screen tv visible through a window.

-When you buy something like a plasma tv don’t put the box out by the trash but shred it and put it in a bag.

- Make your home a hard target. Lighting, big dog, signs for alarm co. as well as an alarm, very good locks on doors, etc.

Home invaders are a different breed. They will break in at night or weekends because they want people to be home. They are looking for privacy and time with their victims. Statistically most will be working in pairs. There is almost a 100% chance that they are recidivists. They get off on torture, rape and seeing others in pain. They do not see their victims as human beings. No reasoning or begging will help as they want their vicitms to beg for their lives as they feel power having life or death in their hands. They know that their victims will do anything they ask if they threaten their spouse or child.

This is not a crime ridden neighborhood or a rich neighborhood problem. Every home is a potential target.

Ways they get into a home;

-“no force” because people didn’t lock their doors.

–Waiting outside or in your garage for you to return home and then force you inside.

–Break down a door or break a window.

–Ruse; Delivery person, a utility worker checking on a gas leak, Law enforcement, Someone saying they just backed into your car or hit a dog in the neighborhood and want help, collecting for charity, etc

Why answer your door to anyone you are not expecting? It is better to look over cautious or offend people than to be a victim of home invasion. By the way, 32% of the time the home invader or burglar has been in your home before. They were the person who delivered your washing machine, a repair man or a utility co. worker or the actual home invader was tipped off by one of these people.

What can we do?

-make your home a hard target. Look at your locks, lighting, etc. and get a professional to look at your home for you as well.

-Keep your eyes open when you are out. Don’t be afraid to eye ball someone right back or ask them what they need. When they know they are discovered they usually look for a less confident victim. If followed drive to a police department or fire department.

-Have a plan….that already puts you ahead of 99% of people in the US

-Practice the plan. Have “home invader” drills.

Almost everyone with children practice home fire drills. We are told by authorities to have smoke detectors, fire ext, etc. in our homes. The schools practice fire drills and get our kids to bug us about checking batteries in smoke detectors. There are 1,100 reported fires a day…..compared to 8,000 home invasions a day. Don’t ya think that needs addressed even more so?

DRILLS: Everyone scatters, gets out and notifies neighbors. Break windows, scream, DO NOT obey or even listen. Plan before hand what can be used as a weapon.

Be Safe!

Has the movie "The Strangers" been mentioned? That would be a good example of what not to do (get killed). I am still going with German Shepherds, guns, and thousands of rounds of ammunition as my solution to a break-in or invasion.

-Erik

Edited by OneRunnin72SST

A few notes of a lecture from the Sgt of Gahanna swat team went over at our Krav Maga spring camp regarding home break-ins/home intruders.....

A few facts and stats:

-38% of all reported assaults and 60% of all reported rapes occur during home invasions.

This epidemic is under reported because nationally the vast majority of law enforcement entities don’t track home invasions as a separate crime. Most agencies statistically list home invasions as burglaries, rapes or robberies.

Burglars are more apt to break into a home during a week day when nobody is expected to be home. They are looking to steal property as quickly and quietly as possible. As banks and convenience stores become harder targets (security cameras, safes, etc) drug addicts and other criminals in need of money are striking softer targets like homes.

What can we do?

- Don’t “show off” what you have. Don’t park your Porsche in the driveway, don’t have your big screen tv visible through a window.

-When you buy something like a plasma tv don’t put the box out by the trash but shred it and put it in a bag.

- Make your home a hard target. Lighting, big dog, signs for alarm co. as well as an alarm, very good locks on doors, etc.

Home invaders are a different breed. They will break in at night or weekends because they want people to be home. They are looking for privacy and time with their victims. Statistically most will be working in pairs. There is almost a 100% chance that they are recidivists. They get off on torture, rape and seeing others in pain. They do not see their victims as human beings. No reasoning or begging will help as they want their vicitms to beg for their lives as they feel power having life or death in their hands. They know that their victims will do anything they ask if they threaten their spouse or child.

This is not a crime ridden neighborhood or a rich neighborhood problem. Every home is a potential target.

–Waiting outside or in your garage for you to return home and then force you inside.

–Ruse; Delivery person, a utility worker checking on a gas leak, Law enforcement, Someone saying they just backed into your car or hit a dog in the neighborhood and want help, collecting for charity, etc

Why answer your door to anyone you are not expecting? It is better to look over cautious or offend people than to be a victim of home invasion. By the way, 32% of the time the home invader or burglar has been in your home before. They were the person who delivered your washing machine, a repair man or a utility co. worker or the actual home invader was tipped off by one of these people.

What can we do?

-make your home a hard target. Look at your locks, lighting, etc. and get a professional to look at your home for you as well.

-Keep your eyes open when you are out. Don’t be afraid to eye ball someone right back or ask them what they need. When they know they are discovered they usually look for a less confident victim. If followed drive to a police department or fire department.

Almost everyone with children practice home fire drills. We are told by authorities to have smoke detectors, fire ext, etc. in our homes. The schools practice fire drills and get our kids to bug us about checking batteries in smoke detectors. There are 1,100 reported fires a day…..compared to 8,000 home invasions a day. Don’t ya think that needs addressed even more so?

DRILLS: Everyone scatters, gets out and notifies neighbors. Break windows, scream, DO NOT obey or even listen. Plan before hand what can be used as a weapon.

Be Safe!

This is excellent information. It's great that you shared it. I can vouch - based on my knowledge in the area of forensic psychology - that you've just offered exceptionally helpful (and perhaps life saving) information.

A few facts and stats:

What can we do?

What can we do?

Be Safe!

Matt is a BAUCE!:fuckyeah:

A state trooper at Roush told me, "I dont take kindly to people fucking with my stuff, or breaking in. If they do, I will fucking kill them. Just make sure that when you shoot them that your garage door is closed, because then its a threat."

I live by this.

How many of you have a great lawyer and millions to fight the legal battle to get out of a life sentence and then the civil trial?

im for gun ownership, but against liability.

How many of you realize how exaggerated and moronic this post is? How many people have read the sections of the ORC which cover this topic?

lets put the opening position in my case, i live with 5 guys my room being furthest from the stairs. what would i do? grab shotgun load with as many shells as possible and have extra,call the cops leave phone on and say im going to check it out. followed by making sure everyone is in their rooms i would slowly make my way downstairs and if suspect is in process of stealing give them 3 seconds to drop said item and hold them at gun point till cops show up or if they attempt to charge me pull the trigger. i have no intentions of ever taking a human life, but if its me or the other guy who should not be in my house i am 100% certain i will be the one breathing the next day.

How many of you have a great lawyer and millions to fight the legal battle to get out of a life sentence and then the civil trial?

I'd much rather pay a lawyer than get shot by the robbers. However, as quoted, in Ohio a person who properly establishes the affirmative defense of self-defense or defense of another is not liable in damages to any person in a tort action for injury, death, or loss to person or property allegedly caused by the person while acting in self-defense or defense of another.

You don't need to back away but rather can stand your ground and kill them. I absolutely intend to do that should the situation present itself. I would do so without fear or though of a lawsuit either. Just do it by the law and make sure they are dead.

Edited by TTQ B4U

:masturboy:

Castle Law. Let it be known if I am ever facing serious time for anything I am cashing in loading up and headed to Mexico. I will spend my days chilling on a beach.

-Erik

If I was home alone, I would accept the challenge and try to beat them to death with a toaster but, If my fiance was home, I would just start blowing holes through the motherfucker with the glock until there is only a pile of meat left.

How many of you realize how exaggerated and moronic this post is? How many people have read the sections of the ORC which cover this topic?

I have. I also researched cases. Be prepared to spend stupid amounts of money and time trying to avoid jail.

I have. I also researched cases. Be prepared to spend stupid amounts of money and time trying to avoid jail.

That's interesting. Cite cases which the affirmative defense has been denied in a justified shooting following Ohio's adoption of the Castle Doctrine.

If you have read the ORC recently, you must be a little off your rocker to assume that home owners need millions of dollars and high power attorneys to defend their homes. I'm assuming you haven't read the law as it is currently written. Please go read the following sections before posting again: 2901.05, 2901.09, and 2307.601

You are clueless when it comes to Ohio law. Just thought I would let you know.