Ford running into a few issues

Aaron

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, hitting a nasty bump in any truck at 50mph might cause that tweak, but it sucks that it's happening during the intended use of the truck. Hopefully they just weld in some reinforcement or something and fix it. You'd think they would have noticed that issue in their testing.

I don't really see an issue. Some of these guys are NOT kind to those trucks so a few dozen having issues out of over 10k could be considered normal. I'm sure Ford will make it right in the end.

They didn't. They blamed it on the guy, and told him if he didn't get it fixed BY THE DEALER, his chassis warranty would be voided. Way to go Ford. IMO, they're covering up for the fact that there is an engineer flaw and don't want to replace the frames. I guarantee the bump stops will be designed differently in the newer models, if there are any.

They didn't. They blamed it on the guy, and told him if he didn't get it fixed BY THE DEALER, his chassis warranty would be voided. Way to go Ford. IMO, they're covering up for the fact that there is an engineer flaw and don't want to replace the frames. I guarantee the bump stops will be designed differently in the newer models, if there are any.

Did you read any of the other threads? They were doing Raptor runs at 60mph+ over rough terrain, I'd say he's out of luck and it's not Ford's fault at all.

I see Mustangs raced in brochures, doesn't mean if you go out to the dragstrip and snap something it's going to be covered under warranty...

^ exactly. I know a few people that own new 5.0's that a few miles on em and havent had had 1 issue with them, but ive also seen people with bone stock 2010 camaro's snap axles at the the track. Point is, most stuff like that breaking depends more on how the owners treat the vehicles and not as much a 'flaw' from the factory.

i agree u cant point the finger at the car co. when the driver of the car does things that are our side of the normal driving that a car should be under. i would never expect to take my stock subaru into a rally race then expect subaru to cover my suspension after i messed it up and after all my wrx is a rally car isnt it ?

Did you read any of the other threads? They were doing Raptor runs at 60mph+ over rough terrain, I'd say he's out of luck and it's not Ford's fault at all.

I see Mustangs raced in brochures, doesn't mean if you go out to the dragstrip and snap something it's going to be covered under warranty...

So, you are telling me that if you get your new 5.0 towed to the dealer on slicks they won't warranty your twisted driveshaft? That's bullshit!!! ;)

The way I've seen folks beat their Raptors, it's no surprise they'd cause that kind of damage. Lesser trucks would've been in a lot worse shape to be honest. Looks like a great opportunity for the aftermarket to help stiffen up the frame.

I disagree. Watch the videos on Fords site and there are zero disclaimers against this type of use. In fact they promote it as being built tough enough and one of the only trucks on the market that can be and is built to be used off road in situations like this. Watch the videos. it's clear.

Brochures, but I don't see too many Ford vidoes encouraging the use of slicks and high rpm launches on a prepped track. Nor do I hear Ford promoting Cobra Buyers or 5.0l buyers to do that. Not like they are with this truck.

^ exactly. I know a few people that own new 5.0's that a few miles on em and havent had had 1 issue with them, but ive also seen people with bone stock 2010 camaro's snap axles at the the track. Point is, most stuff like that breaking depends more on how the owners treat the vehicles and not as much a 'flaw' from the factory.

^^ completely different situations though.

i agree u cant point the finger at the car co. when the driver of the car does things that are our side of the normal driving that a car should be under. i would never expect to take my stock subaru into a rally race then expect subaru to cover my suspension after i messed it up and after all my wrx is a rally car isnt it ?

I disagree. Ford CLEARLY is marketing and targeting this truck to be used off-road and throughout their marketing videos talk about and show this slant. They even state that "this isn't JUST an off-road ready truck" but one that you can drive everyday too. The engineers in the videos even show how many areas including the drive train have been beefed up to take off-road abuse. That goes to show they clearly encourage and expect users to take the Rapter off road.

That said, I don't know the extend of the damage to the bed area and alignment but if it's not negatively impacting anything, could they expect or see that as normal wear and tear? Not sure.

I disagree. Watch the videos on Fords site and there are zero disclaimers against this type of use. In fact they promote it as being built tough enough and one of the only trucks on the market that can be and is built to be used off road in situations like this. Watch the videos. it's clear.

Brochures, but I don't see too many Ford vidoes encouraging the use of slicks and high rpm launches on a prepped track. Nor do I hear Ford promoting Cobra Buyers or 5.0l buyers to do that. Not like they are with this truck.

I disagree. Ford CLEARLY is marketing and targeting this truck to be used off-road and throughout their marketing videos talk about and show this slant. They even state that "this isn't JUST an off-road ready truck" but one that you can drive everyday too. The engineers in the videos even show how many areas including the drive train have been beefed up to take off-road abuse. That goes to show they clearly encourage and expect users to take the Rapter off road.

That said, I don't know the extend of the damage to the bed area and alignment but if it's not negatively impacting anything, could they expect or see that as normal wear and tear? Not sure.

I agree on most, if not all, of these points.

I don't really see an issue. Some of these guys are NOT kind to those trucks so a few dozen having issues out of over 10k could be considered normal. I'm sure Ford will make it right in the end.

Did you read the thread? 10 out of 14 trucks in one group. Did you read how it happened? These are rhetorical, btw. I know the answer. ;)

I don't understand how people express such strong opinions based on guessing and skimming...

No problem here:

http://www.nogaroblue.com/cars/91XJjump.jpg

no problem here:

http://www.gotcruiser.com/gallery/000.JPG

no problem here:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f128/alexhor/Tim3.jpg

ford raptor...problem here:

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd518/gotsvtraptor/Frame/inside_frame_drawing.jpg

I read the entire 31 pages lol. In this situation, they weren't doing over 50mph. And I'm not going to type everything he wrote again, but pdqgp is 100% dead on. Ford markets, and advertises this truck to do all these things and more. Ford, to my knowledge, never "advertised" the Mustang to be going down a drag strip. Ford's basis for the truck is you can run it hard and it'll hold up (in so many words). I stick to what I said that Ford is merely passing the buck and not taking responsibility for a design flaw.

Do you really think they are going to put out that kind of info/videos without a SINGLE disclaimer? Go read the fine print sometime....

Did you read the thread? 10 out of 14 trucks in one group. Did you read how it happened? These are rhetorical, btw. I know the answer. http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/../ubb/wink.gif

I don't understand how people express such strong opinions based on guessing and skimming...

Notice how I said OTHER threads......some of those guys are doing stuff way beyond SVT videos...

I read the entire 31 pages lol. In this situation, they weren't doing over 50mph. And I'm not going to type everything he wrote again, but pdqgp is 100% dead on. Ford markets, and advertises this truck to do all these things and more. Ford, to my knowledge, never "advertised" the Mustang to be going down a drag strip. Ford's basis for the truck is you can run it hard and it'll hold up (in so many words). I stick to what I said that Ford is merely passing the buck and not taking responsibility for a design flaw.

Really people......really....lets have a little common sense....

GO READ THE WARRANTY AND BROCHURE....

HERE: http://files.me.com/jasonwilliam/ilnxdo

WARRANTY COVERAGE

The F-150 Raptor carries the same New Vehicle Limited Warranty as

other Ford F-150 models. This information is covered in its entirety in

the Ford Motor Company Warranty Guide.

Warranty service for the F-150 Raptor or any SVT vehicle can be

obtained at any Ford dealer nationwide.

SVT does not recommend modifying or racing SVT vehicles, as they are

designed and built to be driven as delivered from the factory. The Ford

Motor Company Warranty Guide discusses vehicle usage and the

installation of aftermarket parts and their effect on warranty coverage.

Ford SVT has engineered your F-150 Raptor for off-road use beyond

what is normal for a F-150. However, it can incur damage if driven

beyond its capabilities. Skid plates, shock guards and running boards

were designed to help limit damage to vital components and exterior

finishes, but cannot prevent all damage if driven in extreme off-road

conditions. Damage to skid plates, shock guards, running boards and

exterior finishes as well as bent, cracked or broken body, frame and

chassis components may not be covered by warranty.

Please see the Warranty Guide for complete information.

Perform Multi-Point Inspection and the inspections outlined in the

150,000 mile (240,000 km) Normal Maintenance Schedule found in the

scheduled maintenance information. Refer to the Vehicle Service Manual

for removal and installation procedures. Replace with Genuine Ford and

Motorcraft service parts as needed.

These modifications may not necessarily protect your engine from

damage in competition conditions. Subjecting your vehicle to competition

conditions even with these proposed modifications may render repairs

non-reimbursable under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

That's in addition to the regular F150 warranty/brochure also...

Pretty sure a company like FORD knows how to cover themselves. Not saying they won't cover the damage with enough complaints but lets not get crazy here.

and in defense of the dealers as I grew up in a family that owned car dealerships, they are just people like us with an opinion. they are also likely going to do what Ford tells them to do and allows. they can't go setting expectations or fixing vehicles without the manufacturer behind them.

so until Ford instructs and educates and then compensates the dealers, they are all likely going to say it's the consumers fault.

Your point is taken, but nowhere does Ford state that "if you use this truck offroad and beat it up and there's problems, we'll even cover it under warranty!" Its the buyer's fault if they don't read and comply with warranty agreement that THEY signed when they bought the car.

Go to ford.com and look around at the Boss 302 Laguna Seca package. They probably use the word "race" 20 times describing that car. But if you tell them "well it was marketed as a race ready car, and it caught on fire at the race track after 50 consecutive laps! I want a refund or warranty fix!" you're going to get laughed out the door.

If you take a Ford F-150 King Ranch out to haul lumber (with a Dennis Leary voice over and block text plastered over everything) and you bend your frame trying to crawl up a mountain with 5 tons of lumber in tow, Ford is going to say "we were just showing how the truck COULD be used, not showing that you can destroy it in the process of using it this way and still be covered under warranty".

Do you complain if McDonalds made you fat because their commercials show skinny people eating there? No. People need to learn the difference between marketing and legal agreements.

I'm not saying that there isn't a problem with the Raptor, I'm saying these customers have idiotic expectations of the company after absuing the car in a non-warranty-covered manner.

Really people......really....lets have a little common sense....

GO READ THE WARRANTY AND BROCHURE....

HERE: http://files.me.com/jasonwilliam/ilnxdo

That's in addition to the regular F150 warranty/brochure also...

Pretty sure a company like FORD knows how to cover themselves. Not saying they won't cover the damage with enough complaints but lets not get crazy here.

"SVT does not recommend modifying or racing SVT vehicles, as they are

designed and built to be driven as delivered from the factory."

Really? That's not at all what I get when watching the videos they proudly display on their web site. Nor in line with what the lead engineers are saying in those videos. In fact the guys in the thread didn't drive the vehicles nearly as hard as the professionals in the videos.

Look, I'm a realist too, thus why I made the comment about perhaps these things being seen as normal wear and tear, however, there's zero doubt in my mind that there would be a pretty straight forward case of false advertising to be taken on by a sharp lawyer. Given the bad press Ford would and likely will get on this, they are way better off fixing those that fucked up their trucks and issuing a service bulletin on a fix that would in turn also include a revised warranty statement.

IMO Ford is taking warranty lessons from Nissan's GTR team. I worked for Panasonic and I sold Toughbooks. You can drop my laptop down a flight of stairs....and we did all the time at trade shows, and it would be fine. Panasonic covered the laptops under warranty if they were dropped. Unless it was found to be crushed by a car, we replaced them.

I'm not saying these guys won't wear out their trucks or cause a skid plate to bend, but the fucking body bending as a result of what Ford shows in their videos promoting the truck with no disclaimers in said videos? Hmmm...something tells me they are closely crossing the line on what they tout as Built Ford Tough.

Exactly what does it mean to say "it can incur damage if driven beyond its capabilities" ?

So what exactly are it's capabilities?

How can I agree and be held responsible for something something that's not clarified?

Perhaps it is clarified by Ford themselves in the professional videos they show them being driven as "as delivered from the factory" out of the trucks with zero disclaimers made in them about damage or driving them beyond their capabilities. In fact the guys in this thread are doing exactly what they videos and warranty show. Driving the truck as delivered form the factory, doing what Ford touts the truck is not only built to do but intended to do. Bruce Williams the lead designer clearly explains how it was built from ground up, to quote "handle the rigors of high-speed off-road racing" No different than my Fusion is built to handle the rigors of daily driving.

Edited by TTQ B4U

Go to ford.com and look around at the Boss 302 Laguna Seca package. They probably use the word "race" 20 times describing that car. But if you tell them "well it was marketed as a race ready car, and it caught on fire at the race track after 50 consecutive laps! I want a refund or warranty fix!" you're going to get laughed out the door.

So has Ford put nearly a dozen videos with engineering teams testimonials showing a Laguna package running 50 laps around a track? Has Ford so very clearly marketed this Mustang actually being used in an environment and having their own employees say the car was built to be driven like that?

EDIT: I have edit because Ford actually does have a disclaimer on the LS Package. Interesting. NO WARRANTY and for Track Use Only. Hmmm......but not so on the Rapter. So you're right, if anyone walks in there looking for a warranty fix, you won't get it in all cases. However, the difference is they have....... get this......A DISCLAIMER that is pretty clear....put the air splitter on and warranty goes by by. The Rapter is pretty unclear.

Doesn't surprise me thought. I'm older but back in the mid 90's wasn't it SVT and Ford that rated the Cobra HP output at 300+ and had to make modifications after the fact to actually get them there? Yep, no surprise they are still making claims they can't back up and yet try and hide behind it in print.

Edited by TTQ B4U

Look, I'm a realist too, thus why I made the comment about perhaps these things being seen as normal wear and tear, however, there's zero doubt in my mind that there would be a pretty straight forward case of false advertising to be taken on by a sharp lawyer. Given the bad press Ford would and likely will get on this, they are way better off fixing those that fucked up their trucks and issuing a service bulletin on a fix that would in turn also include a revised warranty statement.

Exactly.