Whats it worth? 2000 firebird

wnaplay1647545503

My sons 16t birthday is a month away and I have been searching for a car for a year now with no real luck. His first choice is a mustang which per my request would need to be 1999+ and a v6. Unfortunately the ones I have found in the price range are all sold 2mins before I call.

So I found a 2000 firebird, silver body in good condition just needs cleaned, all black cloth interior, automatic, interior needs cleaned but looks to clean up easily. Has t-tops, v6 motor, the bad thing is the engine is blown(states owner). I dont know this to be a fact and if I can get over there with Cordell, we might try to figure it out. The seller is firm on $2k. I dont know how much these motors go for if it is blown or where to look, how hard it is to replace or what. I certainly dont want to spend a fortune getting it going as I avent received a paycheck in 2 months nor know when I. I was kinda hoping to stay around $2k all together but I will consider it if 1. It will be worth what I have in it. 2.What I have in it isnt a small fortune. Thanks

Absolutely not for that price. They can be picked up in running condition with minimal needs for less than that if you look around.

The V6 Firebird we had briefly a couple of years ago was pretty much what this one is, but needed a coil pack. We picked it up for $800.

Its probably worth it depending on condition of everything and mileage on the rest of the car. Hell i paid 2700 for my 96 with 113k miles on it (they wanted 4200 for it). As for getting a new motor for it, depends on the mileage you can settle with. I got my newish one from a junk yard that checks everythinng out before they sell with 50k on the clock for $900. Although you could just go to pick n pull and get one for cheap.

the best choice for a 16yr old IMO is a pontiac grand prix GTP. front wheel drive, great in snow, 20mpg city, 30mpg highway. enough power to be enjoyable to drive, but it is still front wheel drive and won't kill you in the rain. they can be found all day long for $2k. ive had 5 of them and will probably buy another one this winter

the best choice for a 16yr old IMO is a pontiac grand prix GTP. front wheel drive, great in snow, 20mpg city, 30mpg highway. enough power to be enjoyable to drive, but it is still front wheel drive and won't kill you in the rain. they can be found all day long for $2k. ive had 5 of them and will probably buy another one this winter

we had a 99 that my wife drove.....loved that car.

i have to agree here. front wheel drive, decent size, and not incredibly boring---yet at the same time not something he will easily get into problems with. will do well in the snow vs. rwd and stick.

I'd rather get him a 98-02 GP.. not a GTP. New kids learning to drive don't need a supercharger. And it's heavier on the gas. Not much, but it does required premium. I'm still in the search for a 98-whatever W-body that's cheap and/or needs a motor.

There is one at pick n' pull. I called them about it. $1300. Motor has a knock. 00 GP GT. Clean title. They did say it's negotiable. Thought about it. But with that many miles who knows what else it needs other than a trans and a motor.

I'd rather get him a 98-02 GP.. not a GTP. New kids learning to drive don't need a supercharger. And it's heavier on the gas. Not much, but it does required premium. I'm still in the search for a 98-whatever W-body that's cheap and/or needs a motor.

There is one at pick n' pull. I called them about it. $1300. Motor has a knock. 00 GP GT. Clean title. They did say it's negotiable. Thought about it. But with that many miles who knows what else it needs other than a trans and a motor.

E85 is cheap!!!!!

or just stop being cheap and pay the extra 20cents/gallon. you can always limit the boost and run it on 89, or take the supercharger belt off and run 87. gtp's get better gas mileage than the n/a versions, ive owned both. the n/a versions also have alot more problems what what ive seen/experienced. and 1300 for a grand prix w/ a motor knock is a ripoff. ive had 4 gtp's that ran great with no problems and i paid under $1800 for each one. i bought my first one when i was 17, and 7years later i still love those cars.