Official Football 2011 Thread

DaddyBuiltRacing

No no that was in reference to boosters getting OSU kids in trouble by paying them for work not complete. Not a reference to how much/little you make, I really could care less honestly lol..

sorry, didn't understand what you were saying before. i don't donate directly to the team perse--other than the generic monthly fee to be a part of the alumni assoc (both my wife and i pay, so we can have the opportunity to buy two tickets). even though i know i could get tickets easier by buying them through other means. i give back to the professional schools. some of the boosters are downright scum, like at any school. the booster in question has always run a semi-shady business--my parents live in a neighboring community and apparently know (of) him.

I don't think anyone would be right for the job currently honestly. I don't think Meyer, Gruden or god himself would be doing much better then what Fickell has done thus far.

while i agree with this, fickel won't be able to recruit worth shit. picture yourself as a high school football player. who would you rather play for: gruden, meyer, or fickel? it is what it is. the job is a 'destination' job for a college coach---not one where you work up through the ranks to get to, or get promoted to, by default

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fickell is actually the top recruiter on OSU's roster. Many of the top recruits including Curtis Grant (one of the top LB's in last years class) have said the main reason they came to tOSU is because of coach Fickell. I think him leaving the program would hurt in the recruiting area. I am not saying Urban can't recruit, but if I were a recruit I would be concerned with if or if not Meyer was going to be my coach the entire time I am in school.

If you look at all the previous coaches tOSU have hired, they haven't been huge gets. Tressell was successful at YSU, but no one knew who he was outside of there. Everyone wanted Glen Mason when the job was open in 01. Cooper was 7-4 at Arizona St the year before he was selected as head coach here. Earl Bruce was an assistant that was given the job in a similar manner to Fickell, Woody got fired for hitting the Clemson player and then Bruce was given the reigns. Hell look at Woody, he coached at Dennison and Miami Ohio. If you do some researching you'll find that Woody's hiring caused some controversey because people didn't feel he was the right man for the job.

These are just reasons I think it'll be Fickell next year, now if its not then so be it I have no control over who they hire lol. I just hope that if he isn't the head coach he is retained as defensive coordinator.

I highly doubt this will happen. I still say its Luke that will be the head coach next year until they officially announce a replacement. Luke is a cheap hire full time, has been here for over 10 years, will have more chance to get his staff together rather then have to work with what Tress left behind. Wont have all the suspensions, little easier schedule next year ect.

Urban will be here 2-3 years and then be gone as soon as Braxton graduates and will blame it on a stress related health concern.

He was my #1 want as well, but he just resigned with ESPN for MNF. I honestly think he'll either never coach again or will be back in the NFL. Every year it seems he is rumored for some college team and it never happens.

Nevada Buck is accurate about half the time, look at his history with recruiting "inside" information. He whiffs a lot, so again I will wait until this happens and even then I will bitch about the hiring simply because I am not an Urban Meyer fan at all!!!! To me he is a bitch that leaves a team whenever the star player leaves or he feels mediocracy is looming. Left Utah after Alex Smith graduated, left Florida after realizing maybe the talent just wasn't there...

I don't see how he goes from having health concerns and wanting to spend time with his famly, to taking 1 of the most pressure cooking jobs in America. If he thought coaching at Florida was stressful, wait til he loses a game here in Columbus, he'll be wishing he had stayed retired.

Fickell just hasn't shown that he's ready for the big time yet. He HAD to show that this year to even get his foot in the door for a shot at the job next year and he has not done that. Cheap hire doesn't matter. According to nevada (I know you think he's wrong often but I'll get to that here shortly) the OSU administration has somewhat had their eyes opened this year. They took things for granted under Tressel and are ready to start behaving like the big dog in college football that they really are. IF the Urban rumors are true, he will be the highest paid coach in the country as Ohio State's head coach.

I still don't understand why people think Urban is a "job hopper" or whatever term we argued about a couple months ago. The dude moved up the college football ladder and landed at Florida then had serious health concerns and had to step away to figure things out. IF those things have been figured out and he's learned how to better balance football and his life then he'll be at OSU next season. Simple as that. If not then he'll keep his cushy announcing job a while longer and enjoy being flown around on private jets all year while making bank and working just a few days a week. Another note on the health thing, you know another coach who was very similar to Urban in how he was just tireless when it came to his profession and had to take a break before returning and has been just as successful as he was before his break? Mike Krzyzewski. Who, funnily enough, will be in Columbus on 11/29 when this rumored announcement may/may not happen. :lolguy:

And to get to the nevada accuracy... he does not whiff a lot at all on recruiting info. He actually has a thread stuck to the top of the Scout insiders forum with ALL of his recruiting calls since 2005. Looking at that thread now, here are the numbers...

103 correct calls on recruits

24 incorrect calls on recruits

That's an 81% hit rate trying to basically predict the behavior of TEENAGERS...lol. Find someone who does it better and I'll start listening to that person.

The reason nevada gets a bad rap is because a lot of those 24 misses are the kinds of kids who make their decisions at the end of the process or on national signing day. OSU just never seemed to win with those kids under Tressel.

There has been instances in the past where Nevada would post "someone is going to commit soon", well gee I could predict that lol. Yeah he has been right 80% of the time, but theres that whole 20% of the time where he is wrong or tosses out some stupid statement only to renig on it and say "I was just telling you what I was hearing".

BTW has it ever been disclosed what Meyers health issues were? I have read that it was headaches and chest pains caused by stress. If it was major enough for him to quit TWICE at Florida, then I don't see how the hell it is suddenly so much better that he can take on an even more stressful job. If he is to be the highest paid coach in American then tOSU is fucking dumb. That would mean he about to get more then 6 million per year! Nick Saban, University of Alabama ~ $5,997,349 is the highest paid coach in the country right now, so tOSU is going to pony up the money to pay a guy that no one knows is in good enough shape to coach a single year let alone multiple years? Thats brilliant!! I remember reading Urbans recruiting tactics with Sharif Floyd, about how he had a dream and god told him that they were supposed to be together, only to bail on the kid a year later lol. How the hell are you going to walk into some 18 year old kids house with their parents there and them knowing about your past and your "health concerns"?

The reason he is considered by me and several others as a job jumper is because its true. 2004 Alex Smith graduates, Urban leaves for Florida. 2009 Tebow graduates, Meyer suddenly has health concerns and takes leave of absence. Comes back to coach for 1 year, team is mediocre, guess what "I'm retiring due to health concerns and wanting to spend time with my family". A few months later he is hired by ESPN to do commentary, a job that has him away from his family several days a week. Then the OSU job comes open and suddenly he is healthy enough and not caring about his family enough to consider the job?

Thats why I do not like Urban Meyer.

Fickell is actually the top recruiter on OSU's roster. Many of the top recruits including Curtis Grant (one of the top LB's in last years class) have said the main reason they came to tOSU is because of coach Fickell. I think him leaving the program would hurt in the recruiting area. I am not saying Urban can't recruit, but if I were a recruit I would be concerned with if or if not Meyer was going to be my coach the entire time I am in school.

If you look at all the previous coaches tOSU have hired, they haven't been huge gets. Tressell was successful at YSU, but no one knew who he was outside of there. Everyone wanted Glen Mason when the job was open in 01. Cooper was 7-4 at Arizona St the year before he was selected as head coach here. Earl Bruce was an assistant that was given the job in a similar manner to Fickell, Woody got fired for hitting the Clemson player and then Bruce was given the reigns. Hell look at Woody, he coached at Dennison and Miami Ohio. If you do some researching you'll find that Woody's hiring caused some controversey because people didn't feel he was the right man for the job.

These are just reasons I think it'll be Fickell next year, now if its not then so be it I have no control over who they hire lol. I just hope that if he isn't the head coach he is retained as defensive coordinator.

I came up with what I like to call the "Luke Fickell Plan". Keep Fickell as HC. Hire Glen Mason as the OC/Assistant HC. Let Mason show Fickell the ropes. After 2 years, Mason becomes AD and Fickell hires his own OC.

lol it sounds good but will never happen

Umm he never had a heart attack...

"Meyer admitted that he had suffered frequent chest pains (later discovered to be caused by esophageal spasms) and occasional severe headaches due to an arachnoid cyst for years, and that they were related to stress"

Far from a heart attack, more like couldn't take the stress that was assosiated with coaching at Florida. Like I said if he thought that job was stressful wait til he takes the OSU job. If the man was healty and didn't have a track record of bailing when star players leave I wouldn't mind him. Not to mention he had more players arrested during his tenure at Florida then any other school in the country, we're not talking free tattoos and over paid for work, we're talking felonies. I find it funny that he took the Florida job when they was recruiting Tim Tebow, now OSU has Braxton Miller and he wants the job (you can hear him drooling over Braxton on tv). Braxton will graduate and Urban will leave lol.

Yea, OSU players never have felony criminal troubles...

:cough: :cough: Clarrett :cough: :cough:

:mumble: Skeete, Berry, Dukes :mumble:

Clarrett's legal troubles came after he was booted.

Yea, OSU players never have felony criminal troubles...

:cough: :cough: Clarrett :cough: :cough:

:mumble: Skeete, Berry, Dukes :mumble:

You mean the Clarrett guy that did this shit a couple years after leaving tOSU? Berry got caught for a felony? Dukes wan an idiot so you got 1 vs 24...

I'll take two national championships in a four year span and a coach leaving town voluntarily over one national championship over a ten year span and a coach being forced out of town.

Could've very well been 3 NC's lol. What happens when Urban fails to delive a NC? Thats one of my biggest concerns about hiring him, the expectations will be through the roof, if he doesn't produce in 3 years he'll quit due to health concerns, or Braxton graduating lol

I will say this, man it must've been nice being a Florida Gator player. You commit a crime and the charges will be dropped lol. Look at all these arrest and how many of them had the charges dropped. I find it odd that so many people could be arrested from 1 team and basically all get away with it lol.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_uf/2009/06/janoris-jenkinscharge-misdemeanor-affray-and-resisting-arrest-without-violence-for-his-role-in-a-may-30-fight-outside-a-down.html

OSU fans and alumni were blaming this current mess on Tressell and tOSU not recruiting character type guys, if you think Tress didn't recruit good character players, what the hell do you think they'll think of Urbans recruits.

I'll take two national championships in a four year span and a coach leaving town voluntarily over one national championship over a ten year span and a coach being forced out of town.

I don't think Urban will leave after Braxton graduates as alittlelessordinary is suggesting (he's anti-Urban and anti-Braxton remember...lol) but yeah... 2 titles in 5-6 years then he "quits"? Fine by me.

Still just laugh when I see all the "quitting" and "job hopper" stuff about Urban. Name any candidate you'd want other than Urban and I bet I could find a way to call them a "quitter" or "job hopper" if Urban Meyer is the standard for such things.

As for felonies... who cares? The NCAA doesn't. Our players were virtually saints under Tressel the last 3-4 years of his time at OSU and the program got trashed for kids selling their own stuff and getting paid $2/hr extra over what was approved by compliance 2 years ago, etc. OSU got 10x more bad press over the NCAA crap than any program has over legal issues. As long as the players aren't beating me up then I just don't care...lol.

And like I said alittlelessordinary, find me a guy predicting the actions of teenagers at a better rate than nevada with similar, known connections to the program and I'll listen to that person instead.

• Upvote 1

Could've very well been 3 NC's lol. What happens when Urban fails to delive a NC? Thats one of my biggest concerns about hiring him, the expectations will be through the roof, if he doesn't produce in 3 years he'll quit due to health concerns, or Braxton graduating lol

The expectations are through the roof for anyone here, it's Ohio State. If Urban doesn't produce, then he's out just like everyone else.

• Upvote 1

I am anti hype and thats what Braxton and Urban bring to the OSU program. Braxton was talked about by everyone and their brother to be better then Pryor, well so far he is not better then most highschool qb's. Throws a terrible looking ball that they blamed on the ball, switched balls and still throws ugly ass passes. Whats the next excuse? Urban will be expected to win a national championship every year, when he fails to do that he'll be ran out of town and the excuses will pour in from the fans as to why he didn't win one. Those are my issues with Braxton and Urban, its not a personal dislike for them, its a fans perspective of them being over hyped.

Like you and I both said, Nevada is right about 80% of the time, I am not disputing he is right more then any other poster that I know of on the football forums. I however know he has whiffed big time on several occasions. If he is right, great, if he is wrong, great, I will make a bold prediction right now, OSU will play football next year regardless of who the head coach is. Looks like I am going to be 100% right on my predictions haha.

I like how the expectation is NC every year... a little steep based on what has happened. I mean winning Big10 is a better goal... but NCs.... gotta do better than 1-10 against the SEC for that....

Urban is the saviour, he will crush the SEC, you didn't get the memo? These are the type of things I have been reading and hearing from fellow Buckeye fans. Its part of the reason I am so anti-Urban currently lol.

Haha yeah, I remember when UC was having a good year and won the Big East all I heard was how they would beat tOSU lol, that wouldn't have happened. I wish Cincy would be consitantly decent in football so OSU could have an instate rivalry, but I do not see that happening.

Haha yeah, I remember when UC was having a good year and won the Big East all I heard was how they would beat tOSU lol, that wouldn't have happened. I wish Cincy would be consitantly decent in football so OSU could have an instate rivalry, but I do not see that happening.

no way.... small conference, all the big names want to go to the big nfl factory schools, its too ingrained on where they will go. Every now and then we will get good recruits and will be competitive but that is it. Our best luck will be to be consistently competitive against the B12 and ACC. Now in basketball, we need to get back to glory and have a better chance.

I remember when a bunch of Cincy fans were incessantly talking shit about Ohio State (maybe when we lost to Purdue?) and how they would smoke us, etc. Oh how I would have wished for Ohio State to have played Cincy that year. Didn't Cincy get smoked by Florida in the Sugar Bowl that year?