Things to do/see in Ohio

DaddyBuiltRacing

So me and the wife have really been on this kick where we just want to see and do as much as possible. We have been compiling a list of things and places to go and do between now and december.

Heres what we have so far:

September:

Nelsonville train ride- Check!

Cruise to Amish Country

October:

Mansfield Haunted Prison

Route 40 Pumpkin Patch

Cruise to Hocking Hills

Kings Island

November:

Newport Aquarium

December:

Zoo Lights

Other things to see but need to pick a date:

Dayton USAF Museum

Blackhand Gorge

Football HOF/Rock & Roll HOF

Ohio State Game- Check!

Blue Jackets Game

Restraunts:

Thurmans

Buckeye Hall of Fame

Surly Girl Saloon

We enjoy scenic drives, old delapitated looking buildings/bridges ect. I think we are going to go to Amish Country and possibly Hocking Hills this fall.

Anyone know any other cool places to visit or things to do. Heck even decent restraunts would be ok, so far we have Thurmans and Buckeye Hall of Fame

Edited by DaddyBuiltRacing

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive been wanting to check out the nelsonville train ride too..

Zoo wonderlights is pretty cool.. just dont go on a freezing cold night like I do every year.. my wife freezes and were only there for like an hour..

Hocking hills is pretty nice.. I camp there alot in the fall / spring..

Im sure there are some places that I could add to your list but cant think of them off the top of my head..

Ive been wanting to check out the nelsonville train ride too..

Zoo wonderlights is pretty cool.. just dont go on a freezing cold night like I do every year.. my wife freezes and were only there for like an hour..

Hocking hills is pretty nice.. I camp there alot in the fall / spring..

Im sure there are some places that I could add to your list but cant think of them off the top of my head..

I've been to zoo lights twice and both times it was fun. This time were gonna take our little one with us. The nelsonville train seems pretty cool and really isn't all that expensive.

Theres a nice little waterfall off chapman road in delaware county. its not huge but something interesting to look at. Plus its right off the olentangy, so you can walk along the river as well.

dont be too disappointed, however.

Nelsonville train ride is neat. Go around Halloween and the tell ghost stories with the lights dimmed on the train.

Hocking Hills is great

Up in Mohecian is great Amish land.

Franklin Conservatory is worth a half day trip

Dayton Air Force Museum is great and FREE. Call ahead to make reservations if you want to tour the presidentail planes.

There is some huge Gorge in Springfield called Clifton Gorge. I think I have been there and it was sweet for some day hiking

I have found this little book a big help in planning motorcycle tours around Ohio (and it will work equally well for your purposes). It specializes in the restaurants/bed & breakfasts/attractions that other guides seem to have overlooked. It seems to find the really great places before they get "discovered" by the public at large: http://www.amazon.com/Ohio-Off-Beaten-Path-12th/dp/0762750510/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1313936215&sr=1-1

(Ignore the one user review ..... the user must have been expecting a AAA Tour guide book)

This is a pretty good book for motorcyclist too. It will also work well for those in a car.

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycling-Across-Ohio-William-Murphy/dp/1933926147/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313937139&sr=8-1

You might also want to check out this site: http://www.forgottenoh.com/

Lots of cool things on there. While your down in Hocking Hills you ought to check out the Moonville Tunnel.

Nelsonville train ride is ok. Don't expect much it's just a up an back ride. It's nice cause it's close. But I was dissapointed honestly. Zoo lights are cool. Hocking hills are great, Dayton air force museum is cool and free. You can also get reservations for the guided restoration hangars, currently restoring actual Memphis belle. Also velvet ice cream factory in Utica is a nice trip. Newport aquarium is nice. Also creation museum is decent in ky nice day trip.

Have you been to the Whetstone Park of Roses? I really enjoy going there...great picnic spot.

I grew up in Cleveland, and we would go the the Rockefeller Gardens and Art Museum near University Circle. I haven't been there in years but I know people that do an easy overnight that way.

I have not been to Whestone Park I will give that a look though. Velvet is 10-15mins away from me as well, might go there this weekend actually and let my son feed the ducks and eat some ice cream.

The nelsonville train ride should be fun as I have never been on a train plus we are taking our son atleast 4 of his cousins and their parents. The oldest kid is 7 so they'll get a kick out of it