[Pics] 2001 Cobra - Always Bet on Black...

ForeverMaker

... paint to be a pain in the ass!

This Cobra came to me with a decade of paint abuse. I don't think it was ever even washed correctly. Years of going through a paint-swirling automatic wash had taken its toll.

Since time was against me my focus was 80-90% swirl correction and I wasn't going to worry about anything else (no wheels, vinyl top, etc). Paint only. I would not be going after many deeper scratches and tracers which would require much more time (and a rotary).

Oh the horror...

DSC_0199.JPG

DSC_0196.JPG

DSC_0192.JPG

DSC_0189.JPG

DSC_0195.JPG

DSC_0202.JPG

You get the idea. Now let the cleansing begin!

I am starting with a wash using Chemicals Guys Citrus Wash. Great for stripping off any residual waxes, etc. I then followed up with a claybar.

DSC_0209.JPG

Let the healing begin.

Test area after an initial pass... meh...

DSC_0213.JPG

Getting better (LOL at my face):

DSC_0216.JPG

Edited by ForeverMaker

The wing. You can see on the right the scratches, on the left nearly full correction...

DSC_0217.JPG

Near side, bad. Far side, good.

DSC_0221.JPG

First pass looking better!

DSC_0223.JPG

Now lets do a final pass with a finishing polish and a black Lake County pad...

DSC_0227.JPG

DSC_0228.JPG

Looking meaner already!

DSC_0233.JPG

On to the wax.

If the German car gods themselves jerked off in a container and sold it for $50 this would be the result. From our friends in Germany we have Sonax Carnauba Wax.

DSC_0240.JPG

Goes on like butter...

DSC_0239.JPG

And comes off like butter...

DSC_0241.JPG

DSC_0243.JPG

thanks for all the comments.

Great job, Ryan. And to think, I remember way back when you bought your first buffer ........ :)

lol yes I still have that in my arsenal.

Sweet!! Now can't wait to do mine. Wondered if the claybar would help mine. Now I know it will. Thanks for the thread! Needed to see that!!

Yes clay-barring will help to prepare the car for polishing. This car had been done recently, so it wasn't a huge step, hence why I didn't take any pics of it.

Damn nice transformation for sure. I did that with 2x the surface area being it was our minivan. Definitely a labor of love. Well, love on a Cobra, not so much love on a van other than I have to drive it now and then.

The good news is if you keep good care of it, the next go-round won't be much at all. I plan to hit ours again before winter just so come spring it's not a bitch like it was this time.