What to do (Shady Mechanic's)

acklac7

Yea I worded it wrong. What I meant to say was I wonder how a seasoned tech would react if I tried to tell him what I thought was wrong with a vehicle he had been having issues with.

To be honest before I made this post I ran this scenario through my head as if I was the service advisor/customer/technician. As a Tech I would probably have issues with a S.A. trying to definitively tell me what is wrong with a car, mainly because that's not really his job.....right?

If you have to tell a seasoned tech how to diag an intermittant no start he isn't much of a tech. Now if it won't act up while he's looking at the car thats a different story. If he tests to charging system while he's at it and sees that the battery tests bad, it's the service advisors job to tell the customer "hey we haven't got your car to act up, but while we were checking it out the battery seems to be on its way out".

alright say he (tech) comes back to me and says "fixed the problem, battery was bad" when based on my education (and some experience) bad batteries don't usually cause intermittent starting issues. Do I challenge his diagnosis? I mean it seems like alot of S.A's dont know shit about cars (from what i've heard), that said wouldn't most techs take a comment/question about a diagnosis as an insult?

alright say he (tech) comes back to me and says "fixed the problem, battery was bad" when based on my education (and some experience) bad batteries don't usually cause intermittent starting issues. Do I challenge his diagnosis? I mean it seems like alot of S.A's dont know shit about cars (from what i've heard from other techs) so I would think most of them would take a comment/question about a diagnosis as an insult?

Personally I have no issues with a SA asking questions, because I feel that the better he explains it to the customer the less likely it is for issues to arrise. Some techs take it as an insult but most who are confident in what theyy are doing will simply answer them. Same thing goes the other way, I ask all type of questions of my SA, and will make him call the customer if he can't answer the important ones. The more info going back and forth the better.

You rub your brake pads on the concrete floor before installing them right?

Ahh yes still on this. You didn't get the whole story so you probably don't get it. Kinda like I don't get why you try to make family 4-doors fast. Just sayin

lol.

only in the auto industry can you actually NOT talk to the person who is going to be working on your car. so i have to depend on a third person to relay the problem correctly?

lol at the op. i'd take the car somewhere else, and move on. or solve the problem yourself.

I agree with you, "bad battery" is something many shops will tell women and then replace the starter on a repeat visit for the same issue.

Women and/or senior citizens that are unable to adequately defend themselves because they've have had there mind raped by stage 3 cancer/therapy...Pisses me off.

Sounds fishy to me. I'd definetly take it somewhere else. Sucks either way though that your dad has to keep taking it back there for repeat problems. My sister had a similar issue. She had a local shop near where she worked that always fixed her vehicles right the first time. Then the owner sold the shop. The new owners made repairs i felt unneeded. I told her I would take care of whatever she needed but she liked the convenience of having stuff done while she was at work. Some shops do I think, make repairs that they shouldn't. You just have to find a shop that you do trust and have him take it there. The alternative is to take some Advil and get it done yourself. Best of luck to you. Intermittant problems are the worst cuz you can't be sure if what problems you discover and fix are the ones the customer is bringing it in for.