UPS guy was good to me today - new lens

Berto

Not that I am some huge expert but I really feel my photography was suffering. I'd get into places where a pano shot wasn't possible but really would have made a huge difference so it was clear that I needed (wanted) a wide angle lens. With the crop body my 18mm really wasn't 18mm.

Went around at one point I was convinced I was going to end up getting the Nikon 10mm-24mm, but with the considerable price tag of $900 (I know in lenses thats not that much, but i'm a beginner give me a break). The only other lens I have purchased was the Nikon 35mm F1.8 which was only $200. I looked at options like the Tamron and the Sigma. Like many of you I spend hours, days, weeks looking at reviews and comparison shots. But being that I do not make money with my photography and also some of the comparisons really didn't show any difference between the Sigma 10-20mm and the Nikon 10-24mm to my eyes. I don't consider myself a Pixel peeper so with a price tag of $479 (UV filter inclued) it was definitely more reasonable. Also throw in that Sigma has added a 3 yr warranty to its 'US market' lenses bringing it up to a total of 4 yr warranty (Nikon is 5 yr) I was feeling more comfortable that they were willing to stand behind their product. Also, I wasn't entirely sure how much i'd use this focal range. If I use it a lot and it breaks after the warranty, I might be more willing to let the cash go for the Nikon, maybe by then I'll be able to make money with my photography to support my habit.

Before anyone asks, I did consider the Tokina 11-16mm which is a superb lens, but would not autofocus with my camera.

First Impressions

- The zip up case is nice to have. Wish nikon lenses came with them. I won't use it much since it'll be in my bag but still nice to know if I store it I can put it in there.

- It feels heavy but I have not compared it to the Nikon 10-24. I've been using my 35mm prime since I bought it, so i guess anything will be heavier. Usually heavier means sturdier...right? Also my little D3100 makes anything seem heavy, well thats what she said.

- This is my first lens that has a focus range! Finally I will be able to get super long exposures in the dark and they will be in focus!

- They have totally stole Nikon's lens cap design, which is awesome. Copy away.

SNS (Seven Not Stock, V8 RX7 meet) is in Indy this weekend so it'll probably get some use and i'll post back.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c192/BertoBizkit/Miscelaneous/DSC_0618.jpg

shot of my totally awesome garage (20x20) standing in one corner. Shot at 10mm

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c192/BertoBizkit/Miscelaneous/DSC_0622.jpg

Pic taken with my 35mm prime, just for comparison.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c192/BertoBizkit/Miscelaneous/DSC_0625.jpg

Nice! Congrats! Now just e-bay that UV Filter and use a lens hood on every lens you have :) Glad to see it came with one.

Catch some nice sunsets with clouds in the sky and color too. Fall is the best time for us here in the midwest.

Nice! Congrats! Now just e-bay that UV Filter and use a lens hood on every lens you have :) Glad to see it came with one.

Catch some nice sunsets with clouds in the sky and color too. Fall is the best time for us here in the midwest.

You really hate UV filters don't you? lol So far I keep them on....I'm really paranoid.

You really hate UV filters don't you? lol So far I keep them on....I'm really paranoid.

I do. No need for them anymore. The coatings on newer quality lenses already filter UV and they don't protect the lens as well as a hood. If you bump the end of a lens on a brick wall or it tips and hits a hard surface it's likely going to damage the threads on the end or the impact will likely crack or damage one of the elements.

Hoods prevent that completely as they absorb impact and cover the outer edges of the lens. They also prevent the front element from getting touched. Not to mention they cut down / eliminate glare and improve color and contrast. UV filters do exactly the opposite.

Lastly, the quality of the elements even in a consumer lens far exceeds that of the one in even a top of the line Hoya Filter. No way I'm putting a filter in front of my lenses. The lens in my Avatar....filter......ah no. It uses a thread on lens hood made of alloy. It only comes off when I lock it in it's case.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/voodoo1694/800/IMG_8820.jpg

the ups guy can suck my left nut...

I despise UPS, I find I have about a 50/50 chance of getting them to leave the stuff at my door, even after 1st attempt. I've RTSd' items because it was impossible for me to have them drop it off at my house. I always select another shipping option when I can and half of the time the places send it UPS anyways. :dumb: