what car to buy?

Need to start car shopping this week. I haven't been in this game for a while, however i always look for deals. here are the details.

04-or newer

comfortable kid mover

tow a couple of jet skis to erie and back a couple time a year

decent gas mileage

fun to drive, even for the wife

reliable daily driver

$7500-$12500

thanks,

tom

A few years older but still a baby per the mileage and way under budget....and has actually towed jet-ski's as well. Guy was at 5k three weeks ago, I'm sure you could make a good deal on it now. Hell I have no need for a minivan but that seems like a lotta car for the money.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96059

Or I've heard good things from friends with newer Escapes...

As silly as this sounds, GTO.

- 5.7 cars can be had for that money

- They ride well, get decent gas mileage

- Fun to drive

- Plenty of torque for hauling

- Come in auto if need be.

Or, a bit less ridiculous, try the Mazda5, it's a minivan with the driving dynamics of a car half it's size.

As silly as this sounds, GTO.

- 5.7 cars can be had for that money

- They ride well, get decent gas mileage

- Fun to drive

- Plenty of torque for hauling

- Come in auto if need be.

Or, a bit less ridiculous, try the Mazda5, it's a minivan with the driving dynamics of a car half it's size.

:dumb:

MS3 is a good one. not sure on the towing though...seems odd.

You can probably find an Exploder around to get it all done, though they dont seem like a damn bit of fun... Come to think of it an MS3 doesnt really either

I suppose there are many levels of fun. Dont necissarily have to be hooning around the parking lots, ect... I have fun driving my FJ every time.

You can probably find an Exploder around to get it all done, though they dont seem like a damn bit of fun... Come to think of it an MS3 doesnt really either.

Really? You've never likely owned one to see. I bet it would make you smile.

Need to start car shopping this week. I haven't been in this game for a while, however i always look for deals. here are the details.

04-or newer

comfortable kid mover

tow a couple of jet skis to erie and back a couple time a year

decent gas mileage

fun to drive, even for the wife

reliable daily driver

$7500-$12500

thanks,

tom

None of these things go together very well, things that tow well, have a big back seat so they are comfortable, don't usually get good gas mileage or are fun to drive. So things that aren't trucks or SUVs, because I don't think trucks are really fun to drive, doesn't leave shit. Maybe you should look into Rav4s and CRVs, or maybe some Subaru. Personally nothing I think would be enjoyable to own fits your requirements.

what about the mazda/saburu suvs. there sporty some are turbod and are quick for what they are. seat 5-7 and can tow...

edit: looks like the motor is the motor out of a mazda speed6 as well as a 6 speed auto. comes in fwd and awd. mpg is mid 20s can can tow two jets skis. i belive it meets allof ur criteria

thanks for all the suggestions so far. i know my needs dont fit together very well, i guess that is why im going to have to go shop around a bit. i might just buy a car for the wife, and hold out for a decent deal for a truck for me...who knows.

thanks,

tom

Really? You've never likely owned one to see. I bet it would make you smile.

I have not. My best friend has a 04 dark grey 5spd Wagon (not a Speed), and it is nice, but I never really got into it. He is having all sorts of problems with it, including rust... I think he just got a poorly maintained one from who-knows-where. Knows he never should have bought it and kept his F150 lol.

The Subaru idea mentioned above might work! If the prices are right..

I would definitely recommend a Forester or Legacy/Outback Wagon. Tribeca's are also great, but definitely more expensive. If you're flexible on older than an '04 (i.e. you don't need to finance this purchase) I would throw another chip down for Craigs Mazda MPV listed above. If we didn't just purchase our Odyssey, I'd be all over that people-mover.

Also, don't ignore an AWD minivan...Caravan, Sienna, Uplander/Montana SV6...

F the haters, BTW...minivans still rock for all around utility. While it stinks in the curves, our Odyssey is Caddy-smooth on the highway and does EVERYTHING WELL, include going over 120mph in case of an emergency :gabe:

I really liked my tbss, they are just a little over the budget your looking at but would follow a lot of your criteria. I havent checked prices for awhile and you might be able to get them cheaper now, pretty sure I heard of someone local picking one up around $15k loaded