What to do in Chicago

Flyin Miata

Looking for any tips on stuff to do in Chicago. Going with a couple friends to see a blues show in November, going to be there Monday through Wednesday. Specifically looking for good restaurant suggestions, and more importantly good bar suggestions. Not a fan of dance clubs or anywhere that I might have to hear dubstep in. Anyone who's been there have any suggestions?

Also, anyone who has lived there know if the Lincoln Park area is safe-ish to stay in? The show is in Lincoln Hall, and one person going with me was "told" that it isn't a safe neighborhood. I'm not too worried about that kind of stuff, but I also don't want to be offered PCP walking to the venue. Or do I?

I was there in May and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express which I think is a little south of Lincoln Park. There was this badass restaurant nearby that had pizza, ribs, burgers, beer, salad, some awesome lemonade punch drink with fruit in it, desserts, mac n cheese, EVERYTHING. Kind of a small place, laid back atmosphere, nothing classy. Really friendly people. Large portions for cheap, but everything tasted great. Ronny's Steakhouse on Randolph Street, I highly recommend it.

Check out all the shit on Rush Street, there's a lot to do as far as stores and restaurants and whatnot. As far as the bars go, I can't remember where we went (I drank a lot) so I'm no help there, I just went wherever the rest of my group went. Ask some of the people there, they will point you in the right direction. Drinks are pretty expensive everywhere you'll go, I do remember that much. And a lot of the bars there were open til 5am which was pretty cool

Lincoln Park isn't a bad neighborhood, I've been out around there quite a bit. If you want a good time time I'd say head to Wrigley-ville. Also there's a ton of fun bars near the corner of Clark and Diversey. I would not go further north than Montrose or farther west than Lincoln. Hope this helps.

I mean, I had a good time. Then again I like drunk slutty women.

Well I've only been there once, and it was in Myrtle, so we could've had totally different experiences. When they give you and your friends the hats and write on them it's funny for a second, but after that I'm just ready to eat. When they brought out my salmon I thought they were fucking with me. No way did I just pay almost $20 for two small pieces of fish.

And there weren't a lot of girls either, it was pretty much a sausage fest. From what I could tell it just seemed like one of those over-hyped places that aren't anything like they're cracked up to be

Ed Debevics - burgers with asshole service(its meant to be that way)

Ha that place is still around!? I went there all the time growing up, sort of funny, the waitress got an attitude with my Aunts (who were in from out of town and didn't "get it") - a massive catfight ensued and we ended up leaving after 5min :lol:

Thanks for all the responses, I'll keep them in mind.

My big question now is actually where to stay though. I want to be near some good bars. None of us are really into the whole club thing, but just some bars with good beer and good atmosphere. If anyone has suggestions on good neighborhoods or hotels to stay at please let me know. Doesn't need to be super cheap but I'm not a baller either.

Theres this restaurant/bar called the Cedar Hotel on N State Street, which is a cool atmosphere and has a really nice patio out front, but with the weather getting cold now the patio probably wouldn't be open. I do recall a ton of bars/restaurants/hotels right around that area (State and Rush) so I would just try and find a cheap hotel around there. Definitely one of the nicest parts of the city

Go have some Pizza at Gino's East

http://www.ginoseast.com/flash.html

or Giordonos

http://www.giordanos.com/

Giordonos fucking blows, I had it for dinner last night.... was VERY disappointed...

to be honest, this town fucking blows, be glad to head home tomorrow. Cold, Windy, Rain... ya, Columbus doesn't look as bad now.

Thanks for all the responses, I'll keep them in mind.

My big question now is actually where to stay though. I want to be near some good bars. None of us are really into the whole club thing, but just some bars with good beer and good atmosphere. If anyone has suggestions on good neighborhoods or hotels to stay at please let me know. Doesn't need to be super cheap but I'm not a baller either.

I'm staying at the Crowne Plaza, it's a nice hotel within a block of everything and 150 a night for a suite isn't too bad... of course I'm here for a conference with my company so we get discounted rates on rooms.