Best ways to go about buying a house?

Cordell

I will start by saying that I am not going to air my dirty laundry in this thread, I have made poor finacial desicions and I'll leave it at that.

What I would like to do is get pointed in the right direction towards home ownership. I got in over my head 10 years ago when I bought my first home, so it was sold shortly after and I barely broke even. Being older and more experienced my wife and I have improved our money management, without any unsecured debt at all. So whats the best way of getting into the market, should I talk to realtors who are experienced and can help me get started, should I talk to lenders? If so who's experienced helping idiots like me with a crappy credit history?

My lease is up around April and will be moving somewhere, hopefully a house, if not somewhere else. The place I've been at for the last 8 years is really going to shit and we need to move on.

Thoughts and ideas welcome, fuck the trolling.

I will start by saying that I am not going to air my dirty laundry in this thread, I have made poor finacial desicions and I'll leave it at that.

What I would like to do is get pointed in the right direction towards home ownership. I got in over my head 10 years ago when I bought my first home, so it was sold shortly after and I barely broke even. Being older and more experienced my wife and I have improved our money management, without any unsecured debt at all. So whats the best way of getting into the market, should I talk to realtors who are experienced and can help me get started, should I talk to lenders? If so who's experienced helping idiots like me with a crappy credit history?

My lease is up around April and will be moving somewhere, hopefully a house, if not somewhere else. The place I've been at for the last 8 years is really going to shit and we need to move on.

Thoughts and ideas welcome, fuck the trolling.

Talk to angrybmw on here, he was great do deal with on our house.

Start looking online at what you want, and know what you want to spend.

If you nead a realtor let me know, ours was great to deal with.

I have worked with my real estate agent for a long time now. He is selling my parents house. He sold me my first house in 2005. He sold my friend a house about 6 months ago. He is always professional and courteous. He worked with my terrible credit and got me a good deal on my house. He has people that he works with for financing and inspections or he will let you choose your own. Give him a call and tell him T.J. Gerlach sent you. He will get you pointed in the right direction. Good Luck!

Bob Price

How long does a pre-approval last? or does it expire? I don't want to actually buy something until early spring.

I don't know, I got mine after talking to a realtor and finding a house.. everything was stressful and last-minute for me. I would imagine they aren't good forever since your bank account is static.

Make sure you have at least 4-5 thousand bucks in your account. If you parents/friends gift it to you, you'll need to fill out some gifting letter saying something along the lines of "this money is a gift and not to be paid back, it isn't just for the house" along with two previous month statements from that account.

After you find a house make sure you insure it through Grange.

Progressive, State Farm, Liberty Mutual, and a few other companies I emailed wanted almost DOUBLE their prices for the same exact coverage. While you're at it insure your vehicles through them.

haven't you made several posts on here before about never owning a home again, your always going to live in an apartment.

No, but I've never wanted to rush back into anything. However my wife has decided that she wants a house and since I've gotten about everything I've wanted for the past few years its time to make her happy. So its more for the family then me, but a garage I can work in would be nice.

No, but I've never wanted to rush back into anything. However my wife has decided that she wants a house and since I've gotten about everything I've wanted for the past few years its time to make her happy. So its more for the family then me, but a garage I can work in would be nice.

good searching. what area are you looking for?

After you find a house make sure you insure it through Grange.

Progressive, State Farm, Liberty Mutual, and a few other companies I emailed wanted almost DOUBLE their prices for the same exact coverage. While you're at it insure your vehicles through them.

+1 on Grange. I have my house and car insurance through them. Lowest insurance around

Whatever you do try not to go through one of those rent to own houses, if you do and the people try to rush and scare you into buying it, just walk away, I learned my lesson the hard way, and even though I had mortgage insurance so I don't owe a dime on the house, I racked up other debts tryin to afford something I couldn't. Lesson here for me is from now on buy everything in cash, even my next venture to buy a house will be a fixer upper I can pay cash and own outright.