What car would you buy with 18-20K?

caseyctsv

I finally have some finanical things in order so it is time to get a fun car again. I am looking for some suggestions. Here are the ground rules:

1) It will be an every day driver - including the winter so Mustangs / Firebirds / T/As are out - besides I want to try something different

2) Has to be fun (Quick)

3) Has to handle well

4) Has to be reliable (see 1)

5) Keep it under 20K

6) Manual preferred / almost required. Not sure I can do an auto

7) Has to seat 4 comfortably and I have to be able to throw my bass and amp in the trunk / back seat

Cars I am considering:

1) 2010 Mazdaspeed 3

2) Newer GTI

3) 02-03 BMW M3

4) 05-06 Audi S4

5) 05 or so Infiniti G35

If I was buying with my heart it would be number 3 or 4. However, given it is a daily and I would have to shoot for a bit older car I am concerned with the reliability. What are your suggestions?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For strict daily driving, a gti is hard to beat. 30+ mpg, handle great, pretty quick with a chip and have a nice interior, for your price, you can get a nice cpo 2009gti or maybe 2010.

Look for the 08.5+ tsi engined ones.

Marauders are sweet. I've been looking around at those a little. I'm a huge fan of gto's too. Onlyissue with gto is space as far as being able to fit bass and amp. Maybe a small single cabinet but a half stack would be stretching it.

IS300/LSx ? Then throw the other $5k my way for being a nice guy :gabe:

2) Has to be fun (Quick) CHECK

3) Has to handle well CHECK

4) Has to be reliable CHECK

5) Keep it under 20K CHECK

6) Manual preferred / almost required. Not sure I can do an auto CHECK

7) Has to seat 4 comfortably and I have to be able to throw my bass and amp in the trunk / back seat CHECK

Well I officially sold my other car tonight so it is on. I found a great deal on a 2010 Mazdaspeed 3 but am afraid I am going to hate the torque steer. Will probably drive a GTO before deciding. Other suggestions are good...I actually have considered the Volvo but not sure I can bring myself to do that!

I had an 02 GTI and liked it but did not LOVE it. Will probably still drive a newer one.

I love the sound of an R32 but I am sure it would be near impossible to find one of those.

The mkiv gti was nice and all, however the mkv (2006 to 2009) was and is a great car, and the mkvi 2010 is a bit nicer still. They consistently beat the ms3 in comparison tests, but both are nice cars.

I am a fanboy according to those here.