Bike idea's

Reaper

As an owner and rider of a 650r for the past 3 seasons, I feel fairly comfortable saying that it'd be a good fit for your needs.

I don't do any trips nearly as long as Ohio to Florida, but I do ride ~150 mile trips on the freeway regularly, and it's not at all a problem on this bike. I've done a ~400 mile trip to Kentucky once, and stopping for gas was about the only break I needed. The stock bars on this bike are really high and allow for a very comfortable riding position. The stock seat and windscreen are both very forgiving for long rides, but if you can spare no expense then you can upgrade to a windscreen and seat that will really turn this bike into a touring bike, and Givi makes a good set of hard luggage for it that can complete the package if that's what you're into.

If the original ninja650r.com forum hadn't self-destructed, I could link you to several photo albums of people doing 4000+ and 6000+ mile trips on 650's. However, you can check out atlasrider.com and youtube.com/atlasrider for some living proof of the 650r's touring abilities; that guy has recently sold his car to live with only a bike, and his passion is long-distance riding and touring and the bike is nearly stock ergonomically. His website has some great info about long distance riding with the 650r.

And I havn't even touched on the sporty side of the bike ;) Without getting too long winded, I can say that when you throw a 650r into a corner, you won't be dissapointed :D

Lemmie know if you've got any specific questions about the bike, I'd be happy to answer em.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So as most of you all know. I do not have a lic. yet or bike but i'm still looking . I plan on getting one by next season . I can take it down to the inlaw's in north florida for christmas and then ride south my parents house to visit for a few days . the bikes i am looking at are 1.Ninja 650R,2.KLR 650 3.Triumph Scrambler 900,4. Harley Sportster 1200 5. Triumph tiger,6. Buell xb12s Any idea's

Ninja 650 from your list.....but give SV650 a serious look as well

Of course I would say the SV but if you do plan on doing touring I would suggest a touring bike. Something that comes with a better suspension and comfort for the long haul out of the crate. I could tell you the SV is a good bike but I also could tell you doing any long riding would get old quick. It's not exactly a dedicated sport tourer. The Vstrom would be a better choice from Suzuki. All i can tell you is if I was planning on 1000+mi. trips I would be looking for a bike that is made for it. Like a St1300 or something to the effect.

Wha.....Wha....WHAT????

No more moped??? How did I miss that? :eek: :grin:

Yep. The scooter is no more; its available for purchase from HNW :D

Riding a real bike now, still learning, so stay off the streets of Hilliard for awhile!

Yep. The scooter is no more; its available for purchase from HNW :D

Riding a real bike now' date=' still learning, so stay off the streets of Hilliard for awhile![/quote']

No worries...you won't see me anywhere near Hilliard.

Do you have to give up "ohioscooterridersfromhell.com" now?

I have an xb12...i frequently do the columbus to cincy trip. No problems with discomfort. Get about 150 miles to the tank if you are just crusing. As far as luggage is concerned for trips to fla or what not...buell has the ulysses. its more set up for touring than the lightning i have. this is also the first bike i have owned. though it is a 1200cc vtwin it is a very forgiving bike...never once have i felt it is too much bike. thats just my 2cents

I thought maybe you couldn't be in the "club" without a scooter.

Did you miss the part about me "owning" the site? Besides, we still have a scooter in the family, my wife has one.

If your looking for a beginners bike with long distance capabilities then go with the SV650S. It is a great starter bike. I did a 580 mile trip in 1 day from Cleveland to Norfolk,Va. The most you can ride in a day is 500 miles. That last 80 miles sucked ass. It is a great bike with some mods that are inexpensive. I had mine for 1 year and sold it because it wasn't that great for 2 up. It has alot of low end torque but high end with 2 people or luggage feels like a strain sometimes. All in all I enjoyed it. If you end up buying one check out svrider.com and here are a few of the mods I suggest right off the bat.

1. New tires (conti sport or road attack)

2. GSXR brake calipers

3. Sonic springs and heavier fork oil

4. New rear shock (can fit a zx10 stock shock on there)

So as most of you all know. I do not have a lic. yet or bike but i'm still looking . I plan on getting one by next season . I can take it down to the inlaw's in north florida for christmas and then ride south my parents house to visit for a few days . the bikes i am looking at are 1.Ninja 650R,2.KLR 650 3.Triumph Scrambler 900,4. Harley Sportster 1200 5. Triumph tiger,6. Buell xb12s Any idea's

You have good taste in bikes, I'll give ya that.

I'm looking at the XB12S and the Tiger myself, and damn near took the plunge on the Scrambler last year.

Can't help you decide, but everything you list is a ball of fun in its own way, depending on the kind of riding you'll do.

I like cruising but crazy topspeed for me isn't a big thing. I like sport bikes and cruisers ,.ect. I can't figure out what kinda bike i want for my first bike if i had the choice i would have them all .If i was to get a sport bike first i would just have to suck it up and deal with the pain of long rides to see my parents . If i get the cruiser i'll get a sport bike later when i have more money and a house to keep them all in .

I like cruising but crazy topspeed for me isn't a big thing. I like sport bikes and cruisers ,.ect. I can't figure out what kinda bike i want for my first bike if i had the choice i would have them all .If i was to get a sport bike first i would just have to suck it up and deal with the pain of long rides to see my parents . If i get the cruiser i'll get a sport bike later when i have more money and a house to keep them all in .

I know the feeling, I have the house to keep them both just not the funds.... otherwise I'd have both...

Well, I'm biased as I love adventure bikes & dual sports, but if I were just starting out and limited to one bike, I'd absolutely go for a Tiger, Uly, Vstrom of something of that stripe.

They're not wicked fast, but fast enough. They're not corner-carvers, but they'll hang with a good sport bike. They're not LD tourers, but comfy for big trips. They're not dirt bikes, but they'll do 2-track and fire roads like a champ. They're not sexy, but they work and they're reliable and easy to ride and forgiving. Best of all, if you knock one over, they're the kind of bike that won't cost you $2000 in plastic because of it.

They're the kind of bike that excell at nothing, but do everything well. If you're like me and want to do EVERY kind of riding or at least try it, that's your ticket. You'll never be limited by the road, the weather, the distance or the company you ride with.