What cars should I consider?

Trouble Maker

So, debating getting a newer car, just kind of done with my current beater. We've got about $9k to spend. If we can keep it under that with tax, tags and tittle that would be great so maybe actual car cost more like $8.5k?

What I would like, in this order

1) Hatch or wagon, not a big car either, but big enough to fit shit in the back; bike, skis/boards, camping gear.

2/3) Manual

2/3) AWD

4) Diesel?

It doesn't even need to be quick, just not so slow it's hard to merge onto the highway. I tend to keep cars for a long time so reliability and cost of ownership are more important. I don't want the car to be too old or too many miles, but I know with my criteria I'm not getting the 3 or 4 year old car either. I'm not interested in anything bigger than a regular sized car, no SUVs or small crossovers.

I'm thinking something like a Golf, maybe diesel but they are impossible to find. Or just about any Subaru wagon. Any other good ideas?

Or the other option is to sell my soul and get a company leased Civic after the lease is up. Before the cars get turn back in the company 'auctions' them off to us starting at pay off. That's normally ~$11k for a 3 year old not base civic with usually has 30-50kmi. That's a newer, with less miles than any other car I've looked at near my price range. They are also usually multiple thousands of dollars less than what anyone could buy one on the street for. The car would be fine for a DD and it makes sense on paper but fit's nothing that I want in a car. Maybe I could pawn it off on the other half in a few years when we need to replace her car as she likes appliance like small sedans.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Subaru or Suzuki will really be your only two options for newer manual awd cars. I've been searching with the same parameters but twice the price and those two makes fill up 90% of the list, sneaking into Audi territory, but I'm not spending $20k for a high mileage base model A4.

I don't think I would even bother with the WRX. I'm thinking regular old Legacy or Impreza. I would just have to buy an older and higher miles car if I got the WRX. Even ignoring the miles I would think it would be slightly less reliable than the non-turbo counterparts?

I drive ~20-25kmiles/year so if I get something with 100kmi and expect it to last to 200k that might only get me 4 years. So whatever fits my base criteria and is as new and with as low miles I can possible get is better.

Not because I'm a Saab fanboi but a Saab 9-5 Wagon would fit your need very nicely.

Wagon: check

Manual: Available so check

AWD: eh, if you get snow tires, Saabs are generally unstoppable in snow

Diesel: eh, they get great gas mileage, 30+ are not unheard of.

I would recommend the newer ones in 4 cylinder turbo, avoid V6s.

Not because I'm a Saab fanboi but a Saab 9-5 Wagon would fit your need very nicely.

Wagon: check

Manual: Available so check

AWD: eh, if you get snow tires, Saabs are generally unstoppable in snow

Diesel: eh, they get great gas mileage, 30+ are not unheard of.

I would recommend the newer ones in 4 cylinder turbo, avoid V6s.

Why the 9-5 wagon over the 9-3 wagon? I'm always going to go for the slightly smaller car to a certain point. For space in the back, I just wanted to say I don't want anything the size of a Mini.

If I'm spending this kind of money on a car, and can get anything (within my price), I'm really going to be hard pressed to not buy buy an AWD car. But I do realize it really limits me on selection so I'm trying to be open minded. The car is just going to have to really sway me in other areas if it's not AWD.

Passat and Jetta can both be had in TDI and both can also be had in Wagon. Passat can even be AWD in which case it nails down all the criteria.

You can get a Passat, AWD, diesel, manual, wagon? If so, sign me up. Sounds like a unicorn that people would want a serious premium for and I would have to travel to Alaska to get. From some quick searches for Golf diesels they are few and far between and are either out of my price range or have 200kmi.

Why the 9-5 wagon over the 9-3 wagon? I'm always going to go for the slightly smaller car to a certain point. For space in the back, I just wanted to say I don't want anything the size of a Mini.

Well, given your price limit, it's going to be tough to find a 9-3 SportCombi. However the 9-5 SportCombi has been in production for 10+ years so they're more affordable. The engines in them are generally considered one of the strongest 4 cylinder blocks around. The size difference between the 9-3 and the 9-5 isnt' really that much, believe it or not.

Seriously, Jesse, I think I'd be inclined to go with the Civic (sans your soul, I realize). Like you said, you can get them for way below what they normally cost, and they compliment the premium you place on longevity and cost of ownership over an extended period of time.

Seriously, Jesse, I think I'd be inclined to go with the Civic (sans your soul, I realize). Like you said, you can get them for way below what they normally cost, and they compliment the premium you place on longevity and cost of ownership over an extended period of time.

Ya, it's a really hard deal to pass up.

My souls probably only worth a few grand anyways so it's probably the right thing to do economically.

I guess I will see if any come up soon, it usually only happens every few months. Then you have to put in a secret bid by X date and the highest bid gets it. The final price is not disclosed so I don't know what the really normally go for. Just that they set a minimum at the residual. I bid on one a few years ago before I got the beater I'm driving now and didn't get it, one other guy bid something higher than me. That one was an EX with navi for ~$13k, would have been a nice DD. I think they are usually LX models (civic trim leves is DX, LX, EX).

The passat wagon can be had in 1.8T AWD manual, or v6 AWD Auto. It can also be had in 1.8T FWD Manual and v6 FWD manual.

The hardest to find is of course, the 1.8T AWD Manual.

Golfs can be had in 2 or 4dr, 2.0 I4 or 1.8T in both. GTI can have 1.8T or VR6, manual is an option for all.

Jetta Wagon is an option as well, comes in 2.0, 1.8T and VR6, manual is an option for all.

Diesels can be had in all the models above (sans GTI) but are FWD only.

B5/B6 A4 quattro manuals, both 1.8T and 2.8/3.0 v6s.

Well, given your price limit, it's going to be tough to find a 9-3 SportCombi. However the 9-5 SportCombi has been in production for 10+ years so they're more affordable. The engines in them are generally considered one of the strongest 4 cylinder blocks around. The size difference between the 9-3 and the 9-5 isnt' really that much, believe it or not.

7 inches and 500#'s more. That's enough to make a difference.

Anything wrong with the 2006 9-3 sport combi? Only about $1k out of my ceiling according to Edmunds... which I know isn't always right but it's a good, easy, place to start. http://www.edmunds.com/saab/9-3/2006/features-specs.html?sub=wagon&style=100610533

Though, there is probably nothing wrong with the 05' 9-5 for much less.

http://www.edmunds.com/saab/9-5/2005/?sub=wagon