Detailing a motorcycle

blue98ls1

As some of you know, I brought home a motorcycle this summer that belonged to my dad/uncle. I had every intention on getting it fixed up/cleaned up well before now but everything else got in the way of me doing that until now.

It is in severe need of a good clean up as it probably hasn't been washed in 8 yrs. Since it is being taken apart this weekend for repairs I wanted to clean it up while some of the stuff is off of it. However since this is my first motorcycle, I feel absolutely lost on where to start. :no:

What kind of products do you use? Anything I shouldn't use?

What kind of "Cleaning" are you doing? Such as frame and engine stuff? Or painted parts?

For frame and engine I would use simple green

For the painted parts I would use basic car wash soap. Or you can go to iron pony and get bike wash stuff.. But its pretty much all the same..

Got any pictures of before?

s100 total cycle cleaner in the aersol can is amazing stuff..

spray on let it soak in. take a brush to the heavy stuff.. respray let soak..

then hose away the gunk..

get some s100 engine brightener to spray on the motor after its all cleaned up..it will give it a nice sheen. i also use it on the frame.

just dont get any on the tires!

What kind of "Cleaning" are you doing? Such as frame and engine stuff? Or painted parts?

Got any pictures of before?

Basically want to clean up everything. Frame, painted parts, the plastics... I want to do a full detail. It lived in Maryland briefly in an area where it looks like it got hit by a dust storm on a daily basis. I can get some pictures of how dirty it is tomorrow if needed. Only photos I have of the motorcycle are from 1988-1989ish when I was like 2-3 and the day we loaded it up in our truck and brought it back home from Maryland.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x123/wannarace928/tinaanddad.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x123/wannarace928/254029_10150211922068863_508293862_7279847_6711006_n.jpg

I cant wait to see Anthony riding bitch on this thing. Let me know if you need some help.

:lolguy::lolguy::lolguy: The mental image of that almost made me cry from laughing.

We are taking it apart next weekend, on my birthday (sunday). You are welcome to come over and socialize/help if you want to!

What are you actually looking to clean? Pictures would be helpful.

At least for the stainless steel, you can take #0000 and OTC metal polish to clean it up fairly well.

I'll post some current condition pics tomorrow. Its pretty yucky.

Agreed. Tina I didn't realize you were so young!

Not sure how I feel about this statement... Not realizing I am kinda young means I look old....:no: ;)

id start it up for 5 mins, let it run, turn it off, then hose it down with that orange gunk engine cleaner. then blast it with a hose.

actually not a bad idea...after the hard grime is taken care of by degreaser of your choice (purple power, etc etc) move on to Honda Spray Polish or Original Spray Cleaner & Polish

http://www.compacc.com/images/product/300/17548_1.jpg