Official 2012 Football thread

DaddyBuiltRacing

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, this is a shocker to me honestly. ESPN now has OSU ranked #16 preseason.... They have USC at #1, I think Oregon is a little over rated considering who all they lost (runningback and qb)

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7537531/usc-trojans-earn-top-spot-latest-2012-look

Seriously. I mean, OSU has a top 3 class on Scout (without Diggs) and I can only see maybe 10-11 of them making any kind of impact freshmen (not a major impact, I mean ANY kind whatsoever...lol) and that's abnormally high because of attrition/bad numbers due to the old staff (LB and OL).

BTW Diggs is supposed to announce Friday night at 10PM. A guy who has had really solid info on random stuff for a while now (poster on Rivals who actually got run off after he posted his first "nugget" a couple years ago even though it ended up being right) says Diggs committed to Urban on his visit and even after the Maryland visit this past weekend is still all OSU. nevada says Diggs' mom really likes Urban and that's usually a big deal. Don't think nevada will touch this one though because he's hit 100% of his calls for the 2012 class and doesn't want to mess it up...lol.

They're putting way too much emphasis on recruiting classes with those rankings. I mean, I know the only reason they updated them is because signing day is now behind us but moving people around based on incoming recruiting classes? Wow.

Yup, just seems like a reason to hype USC.

It will be interesting to see how ESPN manages to hype/blow USC this year while at the same time hyping/blowing the SEC in obligatory fashion. Should USC meet the SEC in the NCG, it will be hype of hyperbolic proportions.

OMG SEC THE UNSTOPPABLE FORCE VERSUS USC THE IMMOVABLE OBJECT

HOW MANY TIMES COULD THESE TEAMS BEAT THE HOUSTON TEXANS ON A NEUTRAL FIELD?

IS USC THE GREATEST TEAM NOT NAMED THE SEC?

USC AND THE SEC: A FOOTBALL GAME THAT WILL OPEN A RIFT IN THE TIME SPACE CONTINUUM

What position held by a starter from last year do you see a freshman over taking? I don't see any!

Taking over, no.

Rotating in and getting experience preparing for a run in 2013, LOTS!!!

I don't see lots of freshman rotating in, this is still a pretty young team (most the seondary was freshman last year), theres depth at the D-Line where I dont see any freshman breaking through, only spot I think that could be up for grabs is a linebacker spot from either Sabino or Klein and even then you have a guy like Curtis Grant waiting to take over. We'll see come September though lol

You are gonna see frosh DL, OL, RB, and Corners.

Diggs will start if he signs.

Grant will step into Sweat's spot, but Sabino will be going into his Sr year, so a lot of younger guys will get some PT.

Meyer will get guys PT where there are going to be spots to fill in 2013

You are gonna see frosh DL, OL, RB, and Corners.

Diggs will start if he signs.

Grant will step into Sweat's spot, but Sabino will be going into his Sr year, so a lot of younger guys will get some PT.

Meyer will get guys PT where there are going to be spots to fill in 2013

What frosh RB do you see playing over Hall, Hyde and Rod Smith (i think he goes back to rb). As for the o-line I don't see any freshman getting significant playing time, same goes for the d-line...have you see the talent already there? And defensive back are plenty solid. The whole secondary was fresman for the most part last year and was solid! There is something like 14 seniors on this upcoming team (just read that on scout lol)

These are the guys who will be ahead of all the freshman (year next to this indicates where they'll be this upcoming year) *indicated projected starter

O-Line:

* Brian Bobek- Center (not sure if he redshirted but he'll be the starting center)

Tommy Brown- Tackle (either a rFR or So)

Chris Carter- Tackle (if he's stll here in fall lol)

* Reid Fragle- Tackle (Sr)

Marcus Hall- Gaurd/Tackle (Jr)

* Corey Linsley- Gaurd (Jr)

* Jack Mewhort- Gaurd (Jr)

* Andrew Norwell- Tackle (Jr)

Antonio Underwood (rFR)

DL:

*John Simon- DT/DE(Sr)

Nathan Williams-DE (Sr if healthy)

*Johnathon Hankins- DT (Jr)

*Adam Bellamy- DT (Jr)

Michael Benett- DT (So)

Chase Ferris- DE (rFr or So)

Garrett Gobel- DT (Sr)

Joel Hale- DT (So)

Ken Hayes- DE (rFr or So)

Steve Miller- DE (rFR)

DBs:

* CJ Barnett- Safety (Jr)

* Bradley Roby- Corner (Sophmore)

*Christian Bryant- Star/Safety (Jr)

* Travis Howard- Corner (Sr)

* Orhian Johnson- Safety (Sr)

Doran Grant - Corner (Sophmore)

Ron Tanner- Safety (rFR)

Jamie Wood- Safety (Jr)

Corey Brown- Safety (Jr)

Again this is a young team with very few Sr's starting and a lot of the backups saw playing time this year. There may be a freshman corner that sees some time if there is an injury as the depth at the CB spot is weak, but safety has plenty of depth. I would look for any freshman that sees any sort of significant time this year either coming on special teams or in case of injury

What frosh RB do you see playing over Hall, Hyde and Rod Smith (i think he goes back to rb). As for the o-line I don't see any freshman getting significant playing time, same goes for the d-line...have you see the talent already there? And defensive back are you serious? The whole secondary was fresman for the most part last year and was solid!

These are the guys who will be ahead of all the freshman (year next to this indicates where they'll be this upcoming year) *indicated projected starter

O-Line:

* Brian Bobek- Center (not sure if he redshirted but he'll be the starting center)

Tommy Brown- Tackle (either a rFR or So)

Chris Carter- Tackle (if he's stll here in fall lol)

* Reid Fragle- Tackle (Sr)

Marcus Hall- Gaurd/Tackle (Jr)

* Corey Linsley- Gaurd (Jr)

* Jack Mewhort- Gaurd (Jr)

* Andrew Norwell- Tackle (Jr)

Antonio Underwood (rFR)

DL:

*John Simon- DT/DE(Sr)

Nathan Williams-DE (Sr if healthy)

*Johnathon Hankins- DT (Jr)

*Adam Bellamy- DT (Jr)

Michael Benett- DT (So)

Chase Ferris- DE (rFr or So)

Garrett Gobel- DT (Sr)

Joel Hale- DT (So)

Ken Hayes- DE (rFr or So)

Steve Miller- DE (rFR)

DBs:

* CJ Barnett- Safety (Jr)

* Bradley Roby- Corner (Sophmore)

*Christian Bryant- Star/Safety (Jr)

* Travis Howard- Corner (Sr)

* Orhian Johnson- Safety (Sr)

Doran Grant - Corner (Sophmore)

Ron Tanner- Safety (rFR)

Jamie Wood- Safety (Jr)

Corey Brown- Safety (Jr)

Again this is a young team with very few Sr's starting and a lot of the backups saw playing time this year. There may be a freshman corner that sees some time if there is an injury as the depth at the CB spot is weak, but safety has plenty of depth.

Dunn will play. They need help at corner. They need experience on the OL, they need experience on the DL (Spence and Washington WILL see time behind Simon and Williams at the ends). I don't understand why you think that Meyer isn't going to develop the young talent to make a run in 2013? What do they have to lose in 2012?

I think Spence and Washington will better than any DE currently on the roster behind Simon and Williams.

Too much talent coming in at weak positions for there not to be someone who contributes at corner and OL.

Barring injury I just dont see Dodson or Decker getting playing time (those would be the only 2 that would even stand a chance if an injury happens). Have you followed recruiting in recent years? There are 2 5* caliber players at the DE position ahead of Spence and Washington already and they are backups lol. Spence is 240lbs, Washington is 250...they better add some weight ;) You are one of those fans that believes every 5* player will come from highschool and dominate at the next level aren't ya? Next year there will be some studs coming to OSU and fans will instantly call for them to be starters, its just the nature of the beast lol. Im not totally ruling out players getting time, I just don't expect it

Corner isn't a weak position at all, Travis Howard is good and Roby is a future 1st rounder in the making. Najee Murray and Armani Reeves are the only 2 CB's in this years class and I wouldn't expect to see eiter of them playing this year. Doran Grant was a beast coming out of highschool and will be the 1st backup.

Miller is the only 5* at DE and as for size, you must not know very much about the kind of ends Meyer likes.

Decker and/or Dodson get in just because of depth issues.

Only having 3 corners is weak no matter how you want to put it. With Johnson and Howard as Sr's, you are gonna see Soph safeties and freshman corners rotate in. No reason not to.

You act like they are playing for something other than 2013?

You act as if this year is just one giant practice session...

What else is it?

Beat Michigan and get ready for 2013.

They can't win the B1G, they can't go to a bowl....

Barring injury I just dont see Dodson or Decker getting playing time (those would be the only 2 that would even stand a chance if an injury happens). Have you followed recruiting in recent years? There are 2 5* caliber players at the DE position ahead of Spence and Washington already and they are backups lol. Spence is 240lbs, Washington is 250...they better add some weight ;) You are one of those fans that believes every 5* player will come from highschool and dominate at the next level aren't ya? Next year there will be some studs coming to OSU and fans will instantly call for them to be starters, its just the nature of the beast lol. Im not totally ruling out players getting time, I just don't expect it

Corner isn't a weak position at all, Travis Howard is good and Roby is a future 1st rounder in the making. Najee Murray and Armani Reeves are the only 2 CB's in this years class and I wouldn't expect to see eiter of them playing this year. Doran Grant was a beast coming out of highschool and will be the 1st backup.

They are for sure going to get time in, thats all he is saying. Also meyer mentioned subbing DE's like hockey players or at least compared.

So next Friday, Tress is coming to Newark High School to shoot free throws for charity. This happens to be senior night, a game that me and my buddy usually go to every year anyways, after the game he is signing autographs. Looks like my little guy will be getting another autograph on his mini helmet. So far he has Mike Doss on the helmet, on a ball he has Clark Kellog and Evan Turner. He better not grow up to be a Michigan fan damnit

It's funny that I even clarified in a parenthetical what I was saying and it still sparked an unnecessary argument...lol. When I said 10-11 in my post, these were the guys I was thinking of...

DE Noah Spence

DE Adolphus Washington

DT Tommy Schutt

DE Se'Von Pittman

RB Brionte Dunn

CB Armani Reeves

ATH Josh Perry (could very well end up on offense somewhere)

OT Taylor Decker

LB Camren Williams

RB Warren Ball

LB David Perkins

LB Jamal Marcus

That's 12 because I actually forgot about Marcus because Scout has him listed as a DE which he isn't.

Probably not both RB's and Dunn has an edge right now since he's already on campus.

Probably not all the LB's but there's a reason they went after so many at the end. I'd expect more of the unannounced attrition/transfers to include an LB or two.

Dodson would be included but he's coming off shoulder surgery. We'll see how he comes back from that.

Reeves is a gimme since he's pretty much in the 2 deep already at CB. Guys like Najee Murray and Tyvis Powell could easily see time on special teams too.

Urban won't be here by the time he even starts school (only 3 years away) zing! As I said (to end the argument) we shall see...

What linebacker do you see transfering? Again I don't see many if any....Sabino is a Senior, Klein is a Senior, Grants a Sophmore, Shazier is a Sophmore, Connor Crowell (redshirt last year?), Jordan Whiting, Jr (could be the only one leaving)

I say they went after backers so hard this year because well, after this year there would've only been 4 on the roster.