removing smoke from a house

AWW$HEEET

So I went and peeped a house tonight, fairly decent size but the whole thing has obviously been heavily smoked in. Not cigarettes,but probably cigars or pipe tobacco. The place will probably be in for a new kitchen, all new flooring (bye bye carpet), and all new paint. There is some natural exposed wood/beams that I would like to leave unpainted, but I fear they may have soaked up a ton of the smoke too.

To pose my question, has anyone tried to eradicate smoke from a house? I see on the auditor site that this dude may have lived there since the mid to early 1990s. What are the techniques and likelyhood of completely wiping out the smell?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are SO many houses out there for sale. Get exactly what you want and live regret-free.

X2. Because if you dump a Ton of money I

Fixing it up, I bet youll still be able to tell someone smoked In there.

Hot summer days, you'll come home and open the door and smell it.

We passed on 4 "bomb" houses. Because the owner smoked for 10 years.

There are so SO many houses out there for sale. Get exactly what you want and live regret-free.

Place is one of a kind. On one acre in the woods kinda a medeval lookin kinda bam margera type place. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu I am so pissed.

Id be taking out a construction loan to replace all the shit there. I would hope by virtue of bringing in all new shit, that the smell would go away. Fuck.

Having been contracted for both former smokers homes and insurance burnouts(fires), the process depends on the area. Walls can be easily wiped down with soap and water to remove slot of the tar, but then you seal, encapsulate everything else with the right primer. Carpet obviously can be removed and the smell rarely carries into the subfloor, but again, seal, them if desired, and the beams can be sealed with a clear product. With everything gone and a sprayer you can have the entire house sealed walls, ceilings, doors, subfloor, baseboards(if painted) in about an hour. There will be some prep work but shouldn't be more than 1/2hr to tape hinges or similar items. Color you primer the color you want your walls and saves you time and material. Spend 10 mins to clean your sprayer and switch to non colored white primer which is virtually flat, spray your ceilings and leave it, it's as close as your going to get to naturally finished unpainted ceiling which most are and left this way after building. A days work and nobody will ever know it was smoked in.

Alot of the hotels in smaller towns mo longer allow smoking but they never sealed in the smell. It's so easy to tell even after they have painted 10 times. The primer needed isn't the cheapest on the market but it's not crazy expensive. They typically pay $75-100 for a hotel room respray and the cheapest material they can use. They aren't priming shit unless they are willing to pay more.

My house was like that when I bought it. Use an Ozone generator. I still have one it works great. The walls in my house are cement block. They had 4 fucking layers of wallpaper on it with nicotine stains outlining picture frames. It was a bitch to remove the fucking wallpaper seriously who does this shit? Then we primed and painted the walls. That helped a lot but it isn't the same as drywall. I haven't replaced the carpet yet but I've steam cleaned it many times. It doesn't smell like tobacco in here anymore and hasn't for 6 years. If all that is holding you back is tobacco smell that is nothing to worry about. Worry about mold and dampness.

MY buddy started renting an older farmhouse a couple years back and it was obviously smoked in... the living area has drop ceiling that is very dark yellow.. nasty. Not a bit of smoke smell in it though. I am sure time had just gotten rid of it in this case, but I am sure if you clean it very well you can get it gone.

As for the beams you could always sand and restain if that's what they are... or even just the good scrubbing might do.

You probably looked at it after it was all closed up a while? Also a contributor to how strong smells can be with no opening of doors ect.

OZONE the place?

This is what I typically pay for/recommend for smaller house fires, to get rid of the smoke smell. Also tearing up the carpet, seal and painting the walls, and possibly sealing the subfloor should take care of it significantly.

Also what type of heating and cooling systems does it have? Several filter changes and a good cleaning of the ducting can make the difference.

I'm a property adjuster.