Living Situation Sucks PT 2: Electric Bill.

Rhett

Ok So we got January's Electric bill today from NEP. Now I have been living on my own for a while and I NEVER have had electric bills this high.

I Live in a 3br Apartment by Easton which is 1,440sq ft.

The Electric bill was $284 It broke down as follows:

Usage- $168- 2810 kWh

Generation- $76

Distribution- $40

This seems ridiculous to me... how does this compare to others this winter?

Edited by Rhett

3 bedroom 1700 sq ft house I average a hundred bucks a month.. and I leave lights on all over the place. (Gas stove and heat though)

Sounds dumb but did you pay last month's bill?

Yes, It was $200

All electric?

Yes all electric Zero Gas

Was it a 35 or so day meter reading instead of 30?

Remember when AEP decided to raise its rates something like 45%? But they said it was cool, because it would be year-after-year increases of 15% each year? Which, if you know 3rd grade math means > 45%. But, they said it's cool. So, it's cool.

Was it a 35 or so day meter reading instead of 30?

Remember when AEP decided to raise its rates something like 45%? But they said it was cool, because it would be year-after-year increases of 15% each year? Which, if you know 3rd grade math means > 45%. But, they said it's cool. So, it's cool.

that tricky accrual

I assume you have a heat pump then? Have you noticed your heat running in "AUX" alot lately? If the heat pump fails or it's under a pre-set temp outside it reverts to the strip heat inside the furnace and that shit gets expensive. My system is programmable and I have it set to use the heat pump all the way down to 20 degrees. Since it has been cold as hell lately I expect about $200 for this month because of the aux running a fair amount.

If your thermostat isn't clear, just try to see if the air coming out is warmer than usual. If so, it's probably on the AUX, not the heat pump.

TL;DR: Make sure that shit is working correctly or it will cost you. If you suspect anything I'd be calling the rental office to get it looked at.

Yes, that is a fukkton of a price for a medium apt, IMO.

http://www.consumerspower.org/home_energy/billestimator.php

1440 sq ft is more than my 3br house, if you don't count the finished basement. I keep those vents closed all the time though

This year has been nuts for electric bills all of a sudden. My january and february bills were almost double of what it was last year. INSANE. Be happy you dont own a 2400+sqft house that is all electric in cold months. Its even insulated great as well. Good thing is I just installed a wood furnace today so I hope to see the electric bill cut in half since majority of that bill is comming from the electric furnace.

It seems to me that this increase has been in the news about 3-6 months IIRC. I know that I've heard it on the radio, seen it in the Dispatch, and have been getting mailings from companies such as FirstEnergy Solutions about it for months.

If you get your news only from CR, there was this thread:

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98871&highlight=energy

I took the precautions I could, as I've got four electric bills to pay. Perhaps Orion or Big Chief201 can comment or make a recommendation to you, as I believe they are both professionals in this field.

Mine has been upper $200s for the last two months. Usage has been super high, and I have gas heat so I have no clue why. I was assuming it has something to do with my 30 year old fridge that seems to never shut off any more, so I'm about to go get new appliances with the tax return, but this has me wondering if there isn't something more going on.

Also, are there any other electric companies we can use around here other than AEP that are cheaper?

call them some pales overcharge because the expect you to use so much but then when summer or a period in the future comes around it is a lot less. I think trey ( iv rings) had a place that did this years ago. Would be jacked up high in the winter but made the summer or later bills lower. Idk how they do it but you could check into something like this

2810 kwh's is a boat load for one month, but your only paying ~0.027/kwh for generation (well below generation cost). I don't know how that can be correct at all. The average household in Central Ohio pays ~0.072/kwh.

If you think your bill is high now wait until you have the A/C running in the summer time. when its close to ~0.085/kwh. Another factor that will be adding to your bill is is the EPA forces AEP to close down a few of our Coal plants (which is the cheapest power right now).

My suggestion to anyone is call AEP's Retail division and lock in the rate they are offering of 0.0669/kwh good through 2014 (its the same rate firstenergy is offering btw). Another piece of advice is if you live in central Ohio and buy your generation from another company you will be subject to ancillary charges to use AEP's distribution lines.