Brake pads, did I mess up?

Berto

So I did one of my front bearings on the truck While I was in there saw that my pads were getting low so I went ahead and got some thermoquiets from advanceautoparts.

I went out for a test drive and bedding the pads in, didn't even get to any hard stops and there was smoke rolling off my right front. Stopped to let it cool. drove back slowly on backroads back home.

Put the truck up on jackstands everything seems to be assembled right. Both wheels seem hard to turn but the one that was smoking was damn near impossible to turn. Took the wheel off and leveraged the pads back off the rotor some, everything seemed to turn good but then when I applied the brakes again to set them on the rotor and got out to turn the wheel it was seized up again.

Long story short everything work great but the caliper doesn't seem to want to rebound back once the brake is released. Is it 'seized'? I've never dealt with seized brake components so not sure if thats what happened. Just doesn't make sense that I wouldn't have noticed it before? the braking has been great.

Any input appreciated. Are the new pads maybe too thick?

Do the pads fit really tightly on the bracket? A common issue with a lot of trucks. Otherwise I've had bad hoses cause symptoms like that.

Well thinking about it a little more I've had a bad master cylinder do that on an older (5-7 years) Silverado.

Get it seized up and crack the bleeder loose and see if it releases, if it does then it's either the hose or master cylinder. If both sides "seize" it could very well be the master. I beleive this gets caused by a seal rolling over inside the master when the pistons are pushed back, not very common at all. Check the other stuff first.

Where both drivers and passenger pads wearing evenly before you replaced them?

Sounds like you have a caliper thats going bad. Or you have a pad stuck on the hard ware

Yeah they were wearing very even, not a single problem.

Do the pads fit really tightly on the bracket? A common issue with a lot of trucks. Otherwise I've had bad hoses cause symptoms like that.

Well thinking about it a little more I've had a bad master cylinder do that on an older (5-7 years) Silverado.

Get it seized up and crack the bleeder loose and see if it releases, if it does then it's either the hose or master cylinder. If both sides "seize" it could very well be the master. I beleive this gets caused by a seal rolling over inside the master when the pistons are pushed back, not very common at all. Check the other stuff first.

I can't remember how tight they fit over the bracket but I can check it out (these calipers suck to get off).

Both sides seem hard to turn but I can't remember what it was like before. But one side is CLEARLY harder than the other.

Check the clearance on the new pads, I have had many time that the paint on the metal backing was to thick to allow smooth sliding...... Or you have bad hoses or calipers. But both at once it unlikely

+1 I have had this issue several times. The thick silver coating on Thermoquiets can be a little thick around the edges and makes them bind up.