Considering a job change....

Putty

The job I have now is by far the best I could ask for. I love what I do, pays great and I have freedom you wouldn't believe. I was approached about another job, same company, that would be much more work, a lot better exposure and maybe a 5k raise. I think i'd be giving up my freedom as well.

Would you take it?

Depends on youe future goals. 5k isnt a lot if you will hate your new job. I am in a similar position. Thinking about moving downtown for long term career growth and it is depressing thinking about the drive to and from, and the corresponding time ot will add.

Good luck.

If I'm only gaining 5k a year and potentially will hate it, no thanks.

This.

Being more comfortable and happy at what you do is worth alot more than $5K, unless that's just in the beginning and there will be more advancement opportunity in the new position that may make it worthwhile.

5k is NOTHING over a year for potential Pain & Suffering.

Pass

Depends on the opportunity though. My wife took a job about 18 months ago with no guaranteed raise in salary and they screwed her with no pay increase at all when she got there. The hours are grueling, she works her tail off, BUT in the 18 months since she's been promoted twice (likely just sleeping her way to the top :D ) and doors have opened for her future that would have never happend in the old position. Sometimes it's not the opportunity up front but where that opportunity can take you that matters more.

Depends on the opportunity though. My wife took a job about 18 months ago with no guaranteed raise in salary and they screwed her with no pay increase at all when she got there. The hours are grueling, she works her tail off, BUT in the 18 months since she's been promoted twice (likely just sleeping her way to the top :D ) and doors have opened for her future that would have never happend in the old position. Sometimes it's not the opportunity up front but where that opportunity can take you that matters more.

I agree, sometimes it's worth the long term returns, but Charles seems vague at best on that aspect.

I think this would be the situation I would encounter. I wouldn't be taking the job for the money, but more so what the job would yield later on down the road. I was asked if I was interested months ago and I declined because I was on a high visibility project. Now here they are again asking me. I think I should give it a shot.

I agree, sometimes it's worth the long term returns, but Charles seems vague at best on that aspect.

Stay where your at unless theres a possibility to transfer back to your old job if you dont like the new one. If you can do that then go for it.

I'm willing to say it's not possible to test drive the job...lol

Enjoying what you do with ample amount of autonomy is priceless.

IMO, money shouldn't ever be the top reason you make a move. It's in there, but if all you see in the offer is money, then you're probably right. Obtain the rest first, achieve your goals and if negotiated well to begin with, the money will follow.

If you don't take the offer they could pass you up in the future for others. I see it happen all the time.

Again, IMO, no offer is worth it unless you know there are more upsides than you have and money should not be the predominant one.

It's not about being "passed up" as moving up in any company isn't about waiting for someone to ask if you're interested. If you're not showing that you're capable or even doing the job you are looking to make a move to, then you aren't trying. Just my opinion as someone with years in Management.

What if he's only making 18k a year

Then moving up to a job for $23k is still a pathetic move. If all things are equal between the two jobs but money, make sure you move for more than $5k per year. $18 to $30k is a decent move. From there $48k. From there $72k, $100k base, then $150k base with a total package double that. See the trend? Just my nickles worth based on a true story.