Need price for honda maintenance

wnaplay1647545503

I am wanting the timing belt replaced and I guess water pump as well on a 2000 honda odyssey. I am available to help and have a garage full of tools(never done one, interested in seeing). I could probably just do this myself and save the money but I would like to see the proper technique the first go around. If you are an actual shop then just let me know what the charge is. If you know what your doing legit, please let me know the price to come help. If the price is right I can probably have 3-4 of these ready to go all in the same day for family I know need theirs done as well. My van is pushing 230k and I honestly have no idea when/if it was done last. I am starting to get some "chatter" out of it and figure it best to get done soon.

Thanks

I personally only do side jobs at MY house.. You may have tools, but A) You probably dont have the right tools to do a timing belt, if you havent done one. B) Its MUCH easier knowing where my tools are, than to be looking for the right tool in your tool box..

Doing timing belts is very easy.. But teaching someone how to do them adds a lot of extra time to do the job..

I think we have already discussed pricing back when you originally wanted it done..

Im available anytime, if you can drop it off with me.

Send me the price again Rocky. I am confident I can do it and not have any issues I just didnt want someone to come help for free(rather pay for their time) and show me any pointers during the process. If the price was right I would just pay to have it done but I cant recall ever paying anyone for something I can do myself unless it was a great deal. Just seeing if anyone is offering that great deal:p

• 3 weeks later...
Send me the price again Rocky. I am confident I can do it and not have any issues I just didnt want someone to come help for free(rather pay for their time) and show me any pointers during the process. If the price was right I would just pay to have it done but I cant recall ever paying anyone for something I can do myself unless it was a great deal. Just seeing if anyone is offering that great deal:p

Hello, did you get this taken care of yet? If not I'm going to be doing 2-3 in the next 2-3 weeks.

Do you already have the parts? (Honda water pump, timing belt)

From what I remember the 2000 is a 3.5 v6? If so, you only need something like 4 sockets and a ratchet. If you go to Honda it'll be $974 + tax. Any other small shop will charge anywhere from $7-800. That's with parts included. I'm charging $500 even to do it and show you why you do everything. But honestly if you have all the tools you might want to consider doing it yourself. I consider it a very simple job. As long as you know how to time an engine it's fairly simple. Either way, you might have already taken care of it. If not, let me know.

I have not had this taken care of as of yet however I can tell you I have had 3 offers for people willing to do it in the $500 range all from shops. One guy who is a Honda tech at a dealership for around $400 and a former tech doing side work for the $350 range all prices included parts.

So you haven't actually gotten a quote to do it from a shop or dealership yet? It's over $1,000 is you would so that's a good thing. The $500 range works because any less than that and the person isn't making any money. Any more and your getting taken advantage of. Also, is that using a Honda water pump and timing belt and replacing all the coolant? If you actually go to Honda they'll CHARGE 9.7-10 hours of labor to do it. Also, whether you have some one do it or you do it yourself make sure you only use a Honda water pump. I don't know how many autozone pumps I've installed and had to replace after a few months. On the other hand, I've never had a honda pump go bad. And one last thing. You said you don't know how long it's been since it's been replaced and so on and your at 230k miles. There is a good chance that your other belts and tensioner will be bad. My price is assuming all of that is bad. If it turns out to be fine then it costs less. I'd just rather quote you the worst possible outcome than add on additional things after I already start working on your car. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Reason I wasnt the cheapest is i do everything like I would do to my own car. I strive to do the best work for as cheap as possible instead of doing the cheapest work as possible as fast as i can. Like I warned you don't neglect the valve adjustment or replacing the other parts that wear with the timing set. Also a tranny cooler and new Honda atf z1 fluid and coolant to help with the longevity of the transmission. My offer still stands 500 plus parts at my cost, just don't go to whoever said they can do it for 200 including parts because they are certainly cutting corning.

And its not anything too hard like you guys are discussing however it hasnt been brought up that alot of the crank bolts are difficult to brake loose without air. Couple of the guys I used to work with had 3/4 inch guns just for that bolt. My half inch needs everything it has got to break even a low mileage car loose. Also the valve adjustment sucks, I've seen quite a few techs at immke pay another tech not because they couldnt do it but because it sucks and if they had one as sidework they would rather just throw there buddy 50 bucks too do it and make 450 out of a 500 dollar job.

The tranny is shot in this thing. I bought it 3 years ago with a hardshift from first to second expecting to replace the tranny as soon as it pops. Since these years were known for tranny issues I knew it would be a matter of time. 3 years later the damn thing is still running everyday just hardshifts from 1-2nd. I plan on getting this work done at somepoint. I have a noise issue I am waiting on another member to listen to and give me a diagnosis before deciding if I want to put money into it. That and the fact not working for over 3 years has virtually left me penniless at this point and I need to watch which projects/maintenance to tackle first. I have plenty of air and now a 4 post lift(thanks again Scott). I could and possibly might tackle this myself, I just have never done one and dont want to make a mistake. I just swapped a tranny in another honda I dont know which is more difficult.

I would much rather do a timing belt than a tranny, but thats because im a light dude. If you need to save money DIY and if stumped post up in tech help. Just know if you have you doubts or suspiciousions stop and think about it or ask questions dont just blow thru stuff.

sorry that I haven't responed Jason been busy and it looks like I'm tied up again this weekend but I just wanted to point out on your hardshift issue, check the front engine mount and the right side(passenger) engine mount, if those are bad the transmission will have a harsh shift.
  • Upvote 1

sorry that I haven't responed Jason been busy and it looks like I'm tied up again this weekend but I just wanted to point out on your hardshift issue, check the front engine mount and the right side(passenger) engine mount, if those are bad the transmission will have a harsh shift.

Have craig do it, he's crs sexiest man. (Where's that pic of the suit when I need it )

:lol:

I know for a fact the one motor mount(closest to the front of the van) is done as the motor flexes when you hit the gas. Not sure if this is the one your referring to. The last I checked after market ones were on backorder for months. I believe it is making at least one of the noises,not the main noise, I keep hearing especially when going over bumps. No worries, TurboNova was going to listen and give me his opinion on my sons Audi which is having issues as well. When the Honda started making its noise I asked him to take a listen to it as well. He has been extremely busy as well and hasnt had time to listen to either. I just want to make sure that if I decide/come up with money to do the maintenance on these vehicles, I am not doing it to a car thats obviously has a more major issue. I hope that trained ears can tell me if these noises sound like something serious or just an easy fix. If either of you guys become free just let me know thanks

I would much rather do a timing belt than a tranny, but thats because im a light dude. If you need to save money DIY and if stumped post up in tech help. Just know if you have you doubts or suspiciousions stop and think about it or ask questions dont just blow thru stuff.

I have done a significant amount of my own work despite no real training. Mainly doing things that are broke either way and I couldnt do any more damage. I have never screwed up a repair but the thought of damaging a vehicle that is otherwise running freaks me out. That and all the horror stories people have told me over the years of what could happen if the engine moves while the belt is off. I have rebuilt my own engines, swapped many trannys/engines, bolted on lots of parts but all of those things I had someone with me for the first of each. I have never taken a belt/chain off an interference motor, I have been told if it even moves a little the motor is then screwed. I know theres tools to align them but I wouldnt even know where to begin. As with every repair I have ever done, once completed I always say "what the hell was I worried about".

Well I don't do this anymore but when i first started timing motors I put the clips for keeping a stack of paper together to keep the belt on the top timing gears. You'll be fine just turn it over a couple times by hand after you have released the tensioner and make sure everything is lined up.

My friend just used Craig and had nothing but positive things to say.

Went above and beyond, and the price was great.

Recommended!