What tools do you use to work on your bike?

tomato_racing

Zip ties and electrical tape helped me get 250 miles home from southern Ohio. Stop to answer the phone and didn't put my kick stand all the way out and broke my shift lever.

In my garage I have a lot of different brands of tools. The only way I could justify buying Snap-on or Matco is if the tools are making my living. For just my own personal use and to help out friends on occasion Craftsman, K-Tool, Kobalt, whogivesashit works just fine for me.:)

Heres some tools I use on my bike, im not really brand specific because, as nick says, as long as it will turn a bolt it works, and 2. I'm not a real mechanic so I don't need the snap-on stuff that my mechanic friends that work at dealerships swear by. I mainly use crapsman and I have a BUNCH of partsmaster tools that was given to me. Free is great and they are lifetime warranty like crapsman.

I have hex socket set 2mm-16mm, those things are great!!!! Definitely a good investment, I use them alot.

I found 2mm t handle wrenches for .99 at Fastenal, these are great for your fairing bolts I bought a few extra and gave to friends :D

Also in my toolbox I have 3/8 metric socket set and ratchets/breaker bars

Also if you ever take your axles off or tripple clamp or anything with large nuts your gonna need larger sockets, you can SOMETIMES substitute large sae sockets for metric sockets if you don't have large metric ones on hand. also adjustable wrenches sometimes work too :rolleyes:

also have 1/4 and 3/8 torque wrenches from *harbor freight* but the only things i ever torque is if i'm working on any engine parts. BTW if anyone wants to bitch about me having HF TW's, keep in mind I use them like twice a year and can't justify $300 for a snap on TW.

I got like 4 toolbox's full of other tools....but these are the main ones I use on my bike.

also have 1/4 and 3/8 torque wrenches from *harbor freight* but the only things i ever torque is if i'm working on any engine parts. BTW if anyone wants to bitch about me having HF TW's, keep in mind I use them like twice a year and can't justify $300 for a snap on TW.

My torque wrench is a harbor freight click style, works just fine for how often I use it. Think I paid 15 bucks for it.

My torque wrench is a harbor freight click style, works just fine for how often I use it. Think I paid 15 bucks for it.

yup thats what i got. I was also sorely tempted to get thier 3/8 impact for $20 lol but I wouldn't bet on it lasting too long. I just like how its compact and would be nice on those stubborn loctited bolts.

Harbor freight has cheap tools at times i carry a bag of tools but i drive a rigid so bolts come loss all the time.But some of the cheap tools do the job if you know how to use them without abusing them. Look through your bike see what type of bolts make up the bike and get a couple good socket sets,pliers.set of screwdrivers.That's about it. I can tear down my hole chop and put it back together in 6 hours.But i built the big and know every bolt vary well. :beathorse: