Retiring car dealer gives employees $1,000 for every year they've worked for him

Aaron

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/10/retiring-car-dealer-gives-employees-1000-for-every-year-theyve-worked-for-him/#ixzz263Ais1XY?test=latestnews

ANN ARBOR, Mich. – Before retiring, a Michigan car dealership owner wanted to thank his employees in a special way. All 89 employees at the Howard Cooper Import Center in Ann Arbor were given $1,000 for each year of service to the 47-year-old auto dealership.

"The lady behind me had tears running down her face," employee Sandy Reagan told AnnArbor.com. "I sat next to a person who drives the parts van and he's been here almost 28 years. He doesn't make a ton of money, but he got almost $28,000. "I watched his face and he just said, `Oh my God,' " said Reagan, who has been with the company 46 years.

The 83-year-old Cooper sold the dealership in April to Ohio-based Germain Motor Co., and employee retention was part of the deal. The business is expected to change hands later this month.

"I wanted to thank my employees and that was a way I could do it," Cooper said of the surprise checks. "I hope it makes a difference in their lives like they have made in mine." Cooper received a standing ovation when the checks were distributed Wednesday morning. He did not reveal how much workers received in total, but 26-year mechanic Bob Jenkins' check was $26,000. "I was shocked," Jenkins said. "You just don't expect something like that. The whole place was just in shock. People are still talking about it."

Jenkins said his check is going into the bank. "I have two little kids -- a 5-year-old and a 9-year-old -- so the money will go to good use," he said.

The dealership opened in Ann Arbor in 1965, selling Volkswagens. Porsche and Audis were added in 1972, and Hondas came along in 1979. "The business has been my whole life for 47 years," Cooper said. "I love what I've done and I enjoyed going to work in the morning.

I worked for Sofa Express and when the founder sold the business he did the same thing. Unfortunatly I had only worked ther for two years at that point, but some of the people had over 15 and 20 years with them. It really is something special to work for a company like that. Edited by gbracing81
misspelling

Well they're gonna need it once the Germains take over. It'll go from family owned to corporate real fast. I feel for the long tenured people their. They're gonna hate it. Flooding the floor with salesmen and people at each others throats for sales=not a good car dealership to work for.......IMO obviosuly

That's really effin nice of him tho. Stand up act. It goes to show everyone with money isnt selfish and can aprreciate the people who made it happen for them :RoundOfApplause:

Crane Plastics is on Fairwood, I'm not certain if they have any current openings. I will inquire.

I work for TimberTech in Wilmington, not sure a commute to Wilmington would make sense though.

I didn't realize you lived south. I think there is a Crane Plastics in Lancaster or Fairfield county somewhere?

Well they're gonna need it once the Germains take over. It'll go from family owned to corporate real fast. I feel for the long tenured people their. They're gonna hate it. Flooding the floor with salesmen and people at each others throats for sales=not a good car dealership to work for.......IMO obviosuly

That's really effin nice of him tho. Stand up act. It goes to show everyone with money isnt selfish and can aprreciate the people who made it happen for them :RoundOfApplause:

Glad I didn't have to post this sentiment....+1 though.

That's a great news story. Certainly the kind we need to have more of in the world.

Our company philosophy is great and along those same lines. I would encourage everyone who enjoyed that story to take 30 minutes, replace your favorite 30 minute sitcom with the following video. I think it's safe to say Howard Cooper lives this philosophy and it's no doubt what has contributed to his success over the years.

Simon Sinek: If You Don't Understand People, You Don't Understand Business

Simon is a very well known speaker and his entire series is great.

Thanks for sharing the story Aaron.

My work is going through the same thing right now, they are doing $500 for each year of service for over 300 employees.

Based on average tenure, it is over $1,000,000

That's awesome. Our company takes 10% of each employee's W2 and funds it right back into their 401k plan every year. You have to be with us a full year and actively fund your 401k but that's pretty much a given. If so, you can get a nice bonus every year. Those of us in sales and sales management really love it. :gabe:

Simon Sinek: If You Don't Understand People, You Don't Understand Business

Great vid. Glad I clicked the link

Awesome story, and I wish more business owners had this mentality.

If/when I ever own a dealership I think I am going to attemt to structure it like a law firm. Senior partners / junior partners etc. all sharing in the profits. I think teamwork, communication, and general productivity would skyrocket causing customer satisfaction and profits to follow.