Did they sell me a bad caliper?

jeffro

Unfortunately i'm deeper into this than i care to be, but my fathers 05 vue 4 cyl no abs has been having braking problems. Once the car gets hot or about 10 minutes of driving the driver side wheel slowly starts to lock up. When she got home this evening i jacked up the drivers front and tried to spin the wheel but it wouldnt budge. Let it cool for an hour and it spins freely. Went to Del-Car junk yard in westerville and picked up a used caliper. Put it on, and same thing. I blead the brakes as normal, made sure everything was seated properly, and made sure fluids were topped off.

Could i have received a bad caliper or could there be some other underlying issue?

Whoever can give me some info leading to a fix will receive a free beverage of choice at crown next time everyone is out.

Tia.

Unfortunately i'm deeper into this than i care to be, but my fathers 05 vue 4 cyl no abs has been having braking problems. Once the car gets hot or about 10 minutes of driving the driver side wheel slowly starts to lock up. When she got home this evening i jacked up the drivers front and tried to spin the wheel but it wouldnt budge. Let it cool for an hour and it spins freely. Went to Del-Car junk yard in westerville and picked up a used caliper. Put it on, and same thing. I blead the brakes as normal, made sure everything was seated properly, and made sure fluids were topped off.

Could i have received a bad caliper or could there be some other underlying issue?

Whoever can give me some info leading to a fix will receive a free beverage of choice at crown next time everyone is out.

Tia.

Unless it is a re manufactured part, you bought something that came off a car that had who knows what problems.

I think you are going to be looking at a brake hose. I would imagine that it wont let the caliper release completely, causing heat from the friction, which is transferred to the fluid. If indeed the fluid cannot return to the master cylinder, it will just heat up and expand and lock the wheel.

I would be looking for kinks, pig-tailed(twisted) or otherwise visually damaged hoses. However keep in mind that its not always apparent on the outside.

If you replace the drivers side, proactively change the passenger side as well. Of any system on a car, brakes would be the absolute worst thing to pinch pennies on. I understand the hoses are not just a few bucks, but cheap and used parts are asking for trouble.

Did you remove the caliper while the wheel was hard to turn, and try to spin it again? I have seen wheel bearings do the same thing.

I would never have bought a junk yard caliper. But since you did, did you install new pads and lube the slides?

Also like others have said, check the hose.

A hose is very common for this type of concern, however the correct way to check is to open the hydrolic system in a few strategic step to find out where the restriction is. Typical hydrolic issue is that since there is a high pressure when the brakes are applied it'll move past the restriction, but since there isn't pressure to push it back it holds the brake on. Since it's only one wheel chances are really good that its the hose. I've delt with a couple instances where 2 wheels were locking up (same axle) and it was a master cylinder.

A hose is very common for this type of concern, however the correct way to check is to open the hydrolic system in a few strategic step to find out where the restriction is. Typical hydrolic issue is that since there is a high pressure when the brakes are applied it'll move past the restriction, but since there isn't pressure to push it back it holds the brake on. Since it's only one wheel chances are really good that its the hose. I've delt with a couple instances where 2 wheels were locking up (same axle) and it was a master cylinder.

Thank you scott. You are always always helpful dispite me being an ass sometimes. Ill have him replace the hose tomorrow.