1JZ questions..

Geeesammy

I have a feeling I'll likely get flamed for posting this in here, but I have a feeling I'll get more views and potential answers in here if it doesnt get moved, so mods and admins, please bare with me! I've got a 1JZ swapped MK3 Supra, bought it swapped, and just have a few questions for someone with a lot of 1JZ experience, or at least that have some answers to some issues I'm having, most will likely be better off being Pm'd due to the longevity of most the questions. Even 2JZ experienced members could likely help me. I know both these motors run into somewhat the same issues.Thanks in advance everyone.

Well, to keep things simple I'll list them from most serious to least..only 2 for right now, but I'm sure more will come up

2 weeks ago, I changed the plugs. He said he pretty much had not changed them since 2007, so it was definitely due, although it only had around 10,000 miles put on it in that time. I stuck with the same exact plugs, but after doing some research online I went with heat range 6 instead of 7. This actually helped a lot, and the only negative I had was a bit of spar blow out under full boost during WOT at 4200-4500 RPM's and it wasn't too terrible, but it lasted only a few days and went away. Over the past few days I've started having a high speed miss under boost at WOT. I'm back on the low boost setting (.8 Bar) instead of high boost. It does them under both settings however. My wideband however stays right in the mid-10's and maybe hits 11's, just like it did before the issue started occurring. I've checked all my wiring and everything seems to be fine. I'm going to pull my coils tonight to check for any cracking, and if there is none, throw the old plugs back in to see if that gets rid of it at all. I've read on a few Supra/1JZ Forums that a capacitor within the ECU can actually go bad and cause this, but I'd rather not delve into an ECU fix just yet..

The second is I'm throwing code 42, which is a speed sensor code. I highly doubt they are related, but I hate having a CEL on.

Thanks

This needs to be in the tech section, and since most of us simply hit new posts it's not likely to be missed.

I'd get the heat range 7 plugs like you took out, make sure their gapped right, and put a new set of those in. See what happens and check the other components while you're in there. Some cars are pretty sensitive to heat range, also it's been my experience that using iridium or platinum plugs are hit or miss in a boosted engine and not a good idea.

I'm not sure what brand of plugs you are using, but with Ngk plugs 6 is the stock heat range for the jz motors. If the plugs you pulled were 7 heat range they were colder plugs. FWIW I had 8 heat range ngk's in my 1j gapped down to .022 and it was good for High boost on a big single setup. Also if you're running copper plugs, keep in mind they don't live long in jz motors, I used to change mine every 5k miles. Hope this helps.

I'm not sure what brand of plugs you are using, but with Ngk plugs 6 is the stock heat range for the jz motors. If the plugs you pulled were 7 heat range they were colder plugs. FWIW I had 8 heat range ngk's in my 1j gapped down to .022 and it was good for High boost on a big single setup. Also if you're running copper plugs, keep in mind they don't live long in jz motors, I used to change mine every 5k miles. Hope this helps.

It definatly helps. I actually messed up I went to 7's instead of staying with 6's. I already pulled two plugs, eating dinner now so I'm gonna recheck the gap with the ones in it compared to the old ones. They are NGK BRK7E'S in it now. It had NGK BKR6ES'S

So here in a few I'm gonna finish pulling all of them and then grab the exact same as the originals. Gap them identical, and then see if it is fixed. It does have a low, and rough idle, staying around 500-600. The AFR is 15.8-16.5 at idle

sounds like a fun car, what ever happened to it?

It was a fun car, it needed the valve train adjusted and the turbo needed rebuilt among other things. He ended up trading it for the purple eclipse that he wrecked.

To the op, if you ever have a problem with injectors staying open, there is a ground on the intake manifold that would need cleaned (common problem). Also he was running a wally 255 with a big single at around 20 psi with no fueling issues (iirc he had 550 cc injectors Maxed with his setup). He was on a stand alone ecm though.

Did you just recently buy this? From Franklin Ohio by chance? If so, it might have stock 2j twins on it. What are the mods to the car? That will help determine the necessary heat range.

Yep! And it doesn't he had pretty much the whole lot of 2J parts for it but I just couldn't swing the money, even with the killer prices he was throwing at me. I'll just list the major ones of the top of my head, all he did except the AEM Wideband UEGO.

Blitz FMIC/piping

HKS SSQV BOV

Full 3" Catless exhaust

Blitz Nur-Spec Cat-back

440cc injectors

Aeromotive FPR

Wally 255 I believe

Apexi AFC NEO

Apexi EBC

few other..4.30 rear end, lowering springs. I've got winter tires and wheels for it now, doing a few things here and there to spruce it up and make it my own..

As far as the plugs goes, I went back with the NGK BKR 6's that were in there originally. It's running better than ever and I've been slowly adjusting the tune, especially the part-throttle. The Apexi unit doesn't do too much, but its making me a little more comfortable seeing something other than a 16.5 AFR at part throttle

To the op, if you ever have a problem with injectors staying open, there is a ground on the intake manifold that would need cleaned (common problem). Also he was running a wally 255 with a big single at around 20 psi with no fueling issues (iirc he had 550 cc injectors Maxed with his setup). He was on a stand alone ecm though.

I'm pretty sure the PO had it done before, a lot of stuff that I've seen while doing other work has seem to be done right, which usually is a rarity on half of swapped cars, at least the ones I have seen.. Other than this I've had no other issues in the month I've had it. Other than one little mishap but that was me being an idiot, etc. Oh and the oil filter is a bitch, other than that no complaints lol. Maybe once I get my suspension setup where I want it to be I'll get some monster injectors and a big snail to sneak in there after a standalone, or just wait until I get out of school and build myself something worthwhile.

The car was a blast but had almost 200k on the body when i got rid of it. I had my fun with it, I got tired of the manual steering, lack of ac, replacing brake rotors all the time due to brake boosting and stopping after pulls(the fucker was heavy) as Ryan also said it was due for valve stem seals, lifter buckets were due for shims, just a bunch of small stuff. It doesnt hurt that dsms are cheaper to build though.

I'm pretty sure the PO had it done before, a lot of stuff that I've seen while doing other work has seem to be done right, which usually is a rarity on half of swapped cars, at least the ones I have seen.. Other than this I've had no other issues in the month I've had it. Other than one little mishap but that was me being an idiot, etc. Oh and the oil filter is a bitch, other than that no complaints lol. Maybe once I get my suspension setup where I want it to be I'll get some monster injectors and a big snail to sneak in there after a standalone, or just wait until I get out of school and build myself something worthwhile.

Glad you got everythig sorted out, if you ever need a hand with it shoot me a pm id be glad to help.

Glad you got everythig sorted out, if you ever need a hand with it shoot me a pm id be glad to help.

Same here. I actually was curious as to which standalone you were running? And did you install it yourself? If so, if the funds are there this winter I'm considering doing one and could definitely need a hand or advice from someone with experience in that area.

I've never had spark blowout just disappear. How did the gap compare from old to new? Also, it sounds like your air fuels need some work. What (if any) fuel controller do you have?

The new ones I just put in I gapped to .28. Before that with the 6's I had it at .28 as well. I have an Apexi AFC Neo. It's kind of an all in one, I know the basic's of tuning and what to shoot for, and likely it's just enough to get me by on a very rough street tune. It had been tuned before but on a very hot day and it was quite a few years ago, and he wasn't sure on how much boost it was on either.

I checked all the coils pretty intensely last night when I had them off for the plugs, no cracking or anything that stuck out other than a bit of dirt I cleaned off. I didn't run into any issues last night with missing or anything else. The only issue I'm having now is a very low and rough idle. It's not missing but it stays at 500-650 rpm. My voltage is good and the battery and alternator are both good, I've tested them on two separate units and both came back as good. I'm kind of at a loss now since that's the only issue I'm having. I put about 2 hours of driving and went out on 270 to do a few pulls on 1 bar just to make sure it's gone and it is.

Same here. I actually was curious as to which standalone you were running? And did you install it yourself? If so, if the funds are there this winter I'm considering doing one and could definitely need a hand or advice from someone with experience in that area.

I was running a stinger ems with the p&p adapter for the jza70 harness. Tuning wasn't really all that difficult for me once I played with he program for a while, but I'm by no means a tuning expert.

That's a pretty wide gap, but if you're not having any problems, you're probably okay, at least for the time being.

IMO, your idle should be richened up a bit. I usually go as close to 14.7 as I can if not a hair leaner (AEM maps sometimes aren't defined enough). If you have any additional questions, feel free to PM me.

I was running a stinger ems with the p&p adapter for the jza70 harness. Tuning wasn't really all that difficult for me once I played with he program for a while, but I'm by no means a tuning expert.

That's good to know you don't have to be a god of tuning to get things dialed in. I know most know are pretty user friendly and there is a lot of support out there for people learning to do it themselves. Given I'll likely take mine to someone for a dyno tune if I ever get to the big single...because it will be a very big single lol

That's a pretty wide gap, but if you're not having any problems, you're probably okay, at least for the time being.

IMO, your idle should be richened up a bit. I usually go as close to 14.7 as I can if not a hair leaner (AEM maps sometimes aren't defined enough). If you have any additional questions, feel free to PM me.

What would you recommend for a gap? To be honest I just googled the 1jz spark plug gap, and a few people recommended a guy with very similar mods to run .028 so that is where I got my idea for that at. What would you recommend?

The bad thing about tuning it is that I've almost had to adjust things so much I feel like I'm doing something wrong, but my AFR's are in safe areas, and still extremely rich at WOT, as in 10.0-10.5 across the entire rpm range from 3000-7000.

OP, Were you driving across polaris parkway today about 12:15? Car sounded pretty good.

Yep, it was definitely me. And I was more than likely driving like a complete jackass to go pick up a mirror for my Silverado I'm trying to sell lol.

Car sounded good.

Thanks! I need to take out a little resonator or whatever you would consider it that's before the muffler, but the neighbors already hate me as the car is...so it may have to stay in until I get moved down onto campus next year. Who knows though lol