dog issue..

The_buster

I'm just curious why now though? She's done the same thing to the kid so many times let alone walks under our feet all the time. She's not fixed could she be in heat and just irritable more easily?

Maybe she's been hurt or sore from the 3 yr old falling on her in the past, so now she's reacting negatively? All it takes is that one time.

I'm all about dogs being gentle with children, but I also strongly believe in children knowing how to respect the dog's space as well...

I'm just curious why now though? She's done the same thing to the kid so many times let alone walks under our feet all the time. She's not fixed could she be in heat and just irritable more easily?

Easy one...your kid is no longer a baby. You don't TREAT your child like a baby, and she's not ACTING like a baby, so she is no longer (in the dogs mind) subject to the easy treatment and careful handling due to a "puppy" member of her pack. She's a "young dog" now, and the dog is expecting to apply a different set of rules.

People think of dogs as "acting like people", but the truth of the matter is that dogs expect humans to exhibit pack behavior appropriate to dogs, and are confused when we don't.

Make sure that the dog knows the rules for PROPER behavior with the kid, and your kid knows the rules for PROPER behavior with the dog.

My 2year old grabs one of our two pits by the collar and walks it around the house. Both pits listen to every word my 5 year old daughter says to them. Why? Because I established early on the pack order, and the dogs are at the bottom. Doesn't mean I don't like them, I just value my human's lives over my dog's lives.

Lets say its always the kids fault, the animal can not react by biting under any circumstances. Go ahead and punish your child and put your dog in timeout. The next time one of your child's friends comes over and plays a little to rough with your dog, make sure you stick strong to your "it's not the dogs fault argument"

I don't look at my dogs as a human. They are dogs and all know their place.

Also, exactly what avenger said. Training doesn't stop with the dog, you need to make the child aware that what they are doing is wrong. Would be a great mistake to continue to let the child do what it's been doing and only correct the dog.

If its a simple matter of the dog walking in front of the child, teach them how to move the dog. I have my kids grab the dogs collar and pull the dog out of the way and just say 'no', and continue walking. Doesn't take long before the dog isn't doing it. I've only had this issue with our beagle. It's annoying lol.

Its all about alpha, and making sure the dog knows its role.
This

I just value my human's lives over my dog's lives.
+this

Some pet owners are really stupid, or have a supremely fucked up sense of priority.

"Oh boohoo, I got shit on by my boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse/sibling/parent/friend so now animals are higher on my totem pole than other human beings. Only dogs/cats/ponies can show TRUE love."

*facepalm*

-----------------

As for the OT - its probably in heat. aunt has several dachsunds and they all acted that way as they came into maturity before getting fixed.

I agree with the real men who believe in setting dominance with their pets. I saw my dog one time snap at my daughter, before he could even bit her I had him pinned on the ground and made sure he was resentful of what he did... now he let's her tug, pull, whatever she wants... as well as the female that one time snapped at my daughter for grabbing her food, before she could make contact, BAM, dog hasn't done it since... Dogs are pack animals and need to know where they stand in the order of things.

I would let you die before letting my dog die. Just sayin. 100% serious

This

+this

Some pet owners are really stupid, or have a supremely fucked up sense of priority.

"Oh boohoo, I got shit on by my boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse/sibling/parent/friend so now animals are higher on my totem pole than other human beings. Only dogs/cats/ponies can show TRUE love."

*facepalm*

-----------------

As for the OT - its probably in heat. aunt has several dachsunds and they all acted that way as they came into maturity before getting fixed.

I would let you die before letting my dog die. Just sayin. 100% serious

Cool good for you, it takes a lot to save someone else's (a strangers) life anyway the real question, (and I put this on facebook, it created a pretty heated debate) is... Would you die for your dog? Not would you try to save your dogs life if possible but, If your dog was standing in the way of an oncoming train, and you KNEW 100% it was you or him would you die for him?

First time my dog makes any aggressive move/sound to my son she's taking a walk out to the woods and not coming back. So far she's been great in the last 14 months and she's been around kids her whole life(she's 9) and not once had an issue. However, you never know what move a dog will make.

Should I put you down or take you for a walk in the woods if you try to punch me or do harm to me or somebody I know? Nobody's perfect including animals. That being said, I would never kill/put down/dis own a dog if it snapped at me or somebody. If it was the dogs fault then it'll get a yelling/beating. If it wasn't its fault then i'll give em a lil yelling. Some people look at dogs/animals diferent. Some see them as disposable pets. Something you could get rid of one day and get a new one the next without caring. Then theres some people who have bonds with their pets and grow feelings for them. I am the latter. This thread seems to be filled with quite a few FORMER types of owners. Some who really dont give 2 shits what happens to their pets.

there's definitely a strong bond between my dog and I. However, a dog is in way comparable to my child. I don't see having any issues with her but you never know what a dog is going to do, no matter how much training it has had and if it's snapped/bit/growled once it will do it again in the future. You guys and this alpha shit are hilarious.

Without getting into a heated argument, why take that chance on those dogs who have done it in the past?

I've never mentioned any Alpha shit in my post to clear things up. Also, if my dog has done things in the past (snapped/barked/etc.) i'll still take my chances because he's my dog and when I got him as a puppy you take on responsibility for taking care of him and giving him a good life. I really dont want to get into a big convo but the answer is i'll love my dog regardless of how it acts. He definately has a personality. He's very loyal to me above all and then to my family. Everybody knows this who knows us. If he steps out of line i'll correct him. If i'm in the wrong and he bites me i'll just laugh and say good one buddy. In then end I took on responsibility for him, the good and the bad. Just like you would if he/she was your kid.

Sorry wasn't aiming that at you but at those who did mention alpha. Guess they don't realize alpha's are always challenged for the role every now and then. It's just a matter of time.

I just don't understand that mentality that's all. Doesn't mean I don't love my dog, just like it doesn't mean you care more for your dog than you do your kids. I'm just not a big chance taker when it comes to something that if it did get bad could potential hurt my son or even worse.

Sorry wasn't aiming that at you but at those who did mention alpha. Guess they don't realize alpha's are always challenged for the role every now and then. It's just a matter of time.

I just don't understand that mentality that's all. Doesn't mean I don't love my dog, just like it doesn't mean you care more for your dog than you do your kids. I'm just not a big chance taker when it comes to something that if it did get bad could potential hurt my son or even worse.

I'm not a big chance taker myself when it comes to knowing my dogs and having my kids around them. I know along with everybody else who knows my dog, bunz, that he's a funny one. He'll be nice to you and all that jazz one second but if you screw with him or come at him wrong he'll let ya know in a bark or worse. So far with my twin infant boys he's been very protective of them and very curious/gentle which is a good sign that he's accepted them into the family. But all things aside I'll be very cautious around him and them whenever they get to the walking age and try to pull on him like a stuffed animal.

Son is currently in that stage and it's kind of a pain to keep him from trying to mess with her at times, mostly when he needs a nap and is in his ffuuu mood. For the most part he doesn't bother her any more. She doesn't mind it at all but I worry about if he was to spook her while sleeping or something. There's been times where other kids have tried to ride her, jump on her, etc and she handled it great but you never know, especially with her getting up there in age. I just don't think I'd be able to give her another chance if she got aggressive with him, but I do understand dogs get spooked, fed up, etc and the teeth are their only way to protect themselves.