So... what you can actually do to help the gun cause.

nurkvinny

Donate to the NRA. You wouldn't have most of your gun rights today or your CCW without them.

E-mail Vice President Joe Biden, Senator Sherrod Brown and your congressman regarding President Obama's call for gun control. Tell them:

- Action should be taken objectively, based on facts and not hastily and not to infringe on our rights

- Statistics from the F.B.I. shows that the violent crime rate has decreased each year since 1991 except for a 1.25% increase in 2005. The violent crime rate in 2010 was the lowest it has been since 1972. Statistics from ATF show that gun ownership has been increasing since at least 2005. This means that increased gun ownership does not mean increased violent crime.

- Comparing 11,493 firearm homicides in 2009 to 443,000 annual deaths from tobacco (estimated 49,000 from secondhand smoke) shows it's not nearly the biggest problem we have

- Measures I recommend and would consider reasonable (better mental health awareness and care availability, background checks for all firearms purchases, licensing for gun ownership, reviewing "Gun Safe Zones" which create target areas

- Measures I do not recommend (any bans and magazine capacity restrictions)